New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had a Marlin in 32-20 and had a lot of fun busting cans. I like the older cartridges that were named after their cal/powder configuration. So what caliber plinker do you have or would you buy if you were getting one again? I was thinking maybe 32-40 this time.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
.357/.38 LRN or LSWC are still dirt cheap reload (.38). Dual purpose in that you can shoot .357 jacketed too.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I want me a little Henery .22 Lever.

Fun as heck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I enjoy my .22 BLR. Many years ago I had a Winchester 9422. I'm still kicking myself for selling that one, but you have to do what you have to do.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Years ago I had a Marlin in 32-20 and had a lot of fun busting cans. I like the older cartridges that were named after their cal/powder configuration. So what caliber plinker do you have or would you buy if you were getting one again? I was thinking maybe 32-40 this time.
get another 32-20. brass or loaded ammo for the 32-40 is real hard to find and expensive when you do. i like you call the 32-20 and the 25-20 plinker's where in reality the old winchester calber's were "working" guns and put food on tables or killed varmints. your right though, they are fun to go out and pop cans with.

218 bee
25-20 wcf
25-35 wcf
32-20 wcf
32 h&r mag
32-40 wcf
38-55 wcf

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can also use
38-40
44-40
44 spl
45 Colt
or sometimes just use the Henry 22 ifn a person can find ammo.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I bought a BLR 22lr last year to plink with. I also have several Ithaca model 49s, one repeater and three or so single-shots that are fun to shoot. I havean old Marlin 336, 30-30 for deer hunting in second groth brushy stuff.I've owned this gun for atleast twenty-five years. All three of my brothers have owned it at one time or another. I picked uo a Marlin 444S - JM stamped at the local Cabelas last year while looking for 22lr ammunition. I paid $329 & tax for it. Great gun at a great price.

I'd like to pick up a Winchester lever action in 44-40, the same model Chuck Conners used in the Rifeman Series with the big circle lever. Some day here I'll find one.

A Marlin model 39 is on the list as well as a Winchester 94/22.

Wood Naval architecture Automotive exterior Hardwood Varnish
30/30 & 444

Wood Tool Garden tool Grass Plant
Ithaca model 49s

Table Wood Hardwood Wood stain Natural material
An old Stevens 20 gauge double, a Ithaca Model 66 - 20 gauge and a Ithaca model 49 - 410 gauge I have several of these shotguns in 20 gauge and 410.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I bought a BLR 22lr last year to plink with. I also have several Ithaca model 49s, one repeater and three or so single-shots that are fun to shoot. I havean old Marlin 336, 30-30 for deer hunting in second groth brushy stuff.I've owned this gun for atleast twenty-five years. All three of my brothers have owned it at one time or another. I picked uo a Marlin 444S - JM stamped at the local Cabelas last year while looking for 22lr ammunition. I paid $329 & tax for it. Great gun at a great price.

I'd like to pick up a Winchester lever action in 44-40, the same model Chuck Conners used in the Rifeman Series with the big circle lever. Some day here I'll find one.

A Marlin model 39 is on the list as well as a Winchester 94/22.

View attachment 34437
30/30 & 444

View attachment 34438
Ithaca model 49s

View attachment 34439
An old Stevens 20 gauge double, a Ithaca Model 66 - 20 gauge and a Ithaca model 49 - 410 gauge I have several of these shotguns in 20 gauge and 410.
Very nice firearms HighlandLofts!
My first rifle was an Ithaca 49 22mag., which I gave to my Son for his first rifle.
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
My 2 lever-action plinkers are a Marlin 57m 22 magnum that Dad left me and a Ruger 96/22 that I scored at the Saratoga Gun Show earlier this year! I would like to find one in 44 magnum next!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 38-40 has my attention. I'll be looking into them for sure.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Very nice firearms HighlandLofts!
My first rifle was an Ithaca 49 22mag., which I gave to my Son for his first rifle.
Respects, Pedro.
Pedro
Would you like to spend a week in FREEDOM? I have room and plenty of firearms. I LOVE New York, Born & Raised There.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The only lever action I've owned is the MARLIN 39A ARTICLE II, 24" NRA COMMEMORATIVE knowing what I know now, I should have bought two of the darn things. But I guess all .22's are inherently accurate anyhow!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have an old lever action 22 I think it's a western auto or something like that, made by Marlin, it's the same as their Lever-matic series. Great shooting little thing, quick action too let me tell ya. Only thing is that parts are hard to find, thankfully it runs good.

I also have a Marlin 30as 30-30 lever gun, I've had it almost 2 years and havent shot it yet, at $1/rnd I wouldn't call it a plinker

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
We need to get you a real lever gun. The Henry's seem to function good but they are kinda cheap. Do you want me to bring my mid 30's marlin model 39 to the shoot so you can play with it? Now that's a lever gun!
Nah, I shoot my friend's Winchester 30-30.

Still looking for the 30-30 with the same recoil and cost per shot as a .22. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts