New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after listening to hours and hours of the NYS Assembly rip at my heart, i get home from work and find a letter in the mail.

Skeptical, i open it, and it tells me that i have been approved to have a pistol permit and to come on down and get it!

Reason for me being skeptical was because of the timeline which follows:

September 10th i got my fingerprinting done and turned in my application.

None of my references were called.

January 15th i received the acceptance letter so to speak!

They told me 6-9 months they would let me know if i was accepted or not. It only took 4. For those wondering it's Chautauqua county.

Glad that i have joined the Pistol community now it's time to buy my first pistol! :)

· Registered
263 Posts
Congrats! What's your first pistol gonna be?

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! What's your first pistol gonna be?
Well, given my current financial crisis from buying a gun safe over the weekend as well as preparation for other things, my firearm funds are limited.

My girlfriend has her permit and has a Ruger SR22 so i don't want to get a .22

Have a few savings bonds that have matured that i may trade in for purchase of a Glock 21 Gen 4.

If i decide not to trade in those bonds, it's looking like i'm going to go with the Keltec PF9

Any other ideas from any ccw out there?

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Well, given my current financial crisis from buying a gun safe over the weekend as well as preparation for other things, my firearm funds are limited.

My girlfriend has her permit and has a Ruger SR22 so i don't want to get a .22

Have a few savings bonds that have matured that i may trade in for purchase of a Glock 21 Gen 4.

If i decide not to trade in those bonds, it's looking like i'm going to go with the Keltec PF9

Any other ideas from any ccw out there?
Gun safe...ugh.

I carry an M&P 9c

· Registered
299 Posts
I like my Springfield XD 45 Compact, but you can't have one because it has 10-rounds mags.

I like my M&P Shield 9mm, but 1) you can't find them anywhere right now and 2) you only get the 7-rounder that comes with it, the 8-rounder is too dangerous for you because you might be a criminal or mentally ill.

In all honesty, I'd look for some sort of revolver. And then buy three of them.

The New York Reload is the quickest reload.

· Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on your permit. I dont get the timelines in chautauqua county. You waited 4 months, another member waited 5 months, another member is 7 months and still waiting and there is me who is 10 months and still waiting.... maybe by the time I get my letter we can have 10rds again

· Registered
948 Posts
May I suggest a CZ52 in 7.62X25MM. It is as powerful as a .357, has a 7 rd mag, you should be able to find for about $200-$250 with holster and spare mag. If the barrel is corroded (from corrosive primers), a new barrel from Brownells is inexpensive and easy to change. Cheap practice ammo is plentiful (be sure you clean the weapon well after, a lot of the cheap ammo is corrosive) and top drawer SD ammo (124 gr 1775fps) is available from Reedsammo.

It is a 1952 design, and qualifies for C&R under federal regs...I love mine...don't carry it much but it is a blast to shoot. (My normal carry is a CZ85)

· Registered
172 Posts
That's great news! I've been putting off applying for my permit here in Erie county for myself, as well as my girlfriend, and now I feel like I'm stuck. I don't know whether it's the best time ever to apply, or the worst time ever to apply...

· Registered
2 Posts
Congrats...I applied back in February 2012, was interviewed by the Erie County Sheriffs in August, and just got my permit in the mail this past Saturday while I was at the 2nd Amendment rally in downtown Buffalo! For those that just applied for theirs...be ready for a loooong process.

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats on your permit. I dont get the timelines in chautauqua county. You waited 4 months, another member waited 5 months, another member is 7 months and still waiting and there is me who is 10 months and still waiting.... maybe by the time I get my letter we can have 10rds again
according to the local gun shop that i go to, starting in September 2012, they implemented a new system that they could bypass mailing to Albany and could fax it directly or something along those lines, so those who applied before September 2012 will be waiting longer than those applied after. makes sense right? lol...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.