New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experience?

I had THOUGHT before today I may have seen it. Not personally, but my friend was doing it. Well today I saw it clear as day. It is no myth at all.

So I took my new P99 out today for the first time and my SR22 and went to have some fun. My friend, the one that I thought had done it before was there. I loaded up the first mag of 9mm for the P99 and began to shoot. After 5 shots I had a stovepipe. I was like...hmm...I hope I did not get a lemon. Having been used to shooting the P99 is .40, the lighter recoil surprised me. I finished off the mag with no problems. I let my friend then shoot. He is not used to autos, being a revolver guy. He holds it "cup and saucer" style. Well, lo and behold, 3 stovepipes in a mag! I am starting to look embarrassed. However, considering I know the cup and saucer method is bad, I let him shoot my SR22. He cup and saucered it and got 8 out of 10 FTFeeds! I got 10 flawless shots. This is obviously wrong. I picked back up the P99 and mentally reminded myself "This is not .40 so the recoil will not be as strong so I NEED to focus on my grip." All the rest of my rounds (many more this time) went flawlessly. At this time I hand it to my friend again. 3-4 times per mag he was getting stovepipe. I told him "Here, try this grip instead of yours. (a proper one)" Not another stovepipe. Same with the SR22. At this time I am SURE limp-wristing is no myth. I take my P99, load up a mag and purposely limp wrist it (like as loose as I safely can hold it.) I can ON CUE cause a stovepipe with it by doing that. Personally before this experience I thought "limp wristing" was an excuse because I had never had it happen. Well having seen it happen on 2 different guns, both fixed by a different grip, I am convinced physics do not lie.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I've never seen a malfunction happen on any gun, except a Chiappa 1911 .22 that malfunctioned most of the time. This includes 9mm, 40, .45, new shooters, old shooters, men, women, people who are scared of guns, Glocks, HKs, Rugers, Sigs, Walthers, etc. I've seen 90lb women who seem convinced the gun is going to turn into a snake at any moment get through a whole mag without a malfunction.

I've also seen video reviews from people like Sturmgewehre where he purposely holds the gun with two fingers to see if limp wristing affects it, and does not get any malfunctions.

So, I'm not saying that limp wristing is a myth, but that I think it may be a combination of things other than poor grip. Maybe the guns you are seeing that with could benefit from a stronger/lighter recoil spring. I remember reading your P99 is first generation, so perhaps the previous owner(s) messed with spring weights. Or maybe it is just due for a tune up. A set of stock springs might help that out.

· Registered
698 Posts
Buffing the crap out of the feed ramp might help also~

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
Limp wristing is real and doesn't have anything to really do with how many fingers you have on pistol for the most part. I have limp wristed before and usually when that happens I realize it because I get smacked in the face with hot brass lol.

I would also have to say people who are afraid of guns that shoot probably wont experience this issue atleast at first because they tighten up from fear while shooting preventing limp wristing. basically limp wristing can cause FTF by absorbing enough of the energy from the recoil so as to deprive the slide of enough energy to perform properly.

· Registered
698 Posts
Good post usmcveteran ~ I recommended polishing the feed ramp to reduce the friction between the bullet and the ramp so less energy is needed to chamber the round but there is no better remedy than proper shooting fundamentals. Most of us as we get get comfortable shooting tend to start with some bad habit or another.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen a malfunction happen on any gun, except a Chiappa 1911 .22 that malfunctioned most of the time. This includes 9mm, 40, .45, new shooters, old shooters, men, women, people who are scared of guns, Glocks, HKs, Rugers, Sigs, Walthers, etc. I've seen 90lb women who seem convinced the gun is going to turn into a snake at any moment get through a whole mag without a malfunction.

I've also seen video reviews from people like Sturmgewehre where he purposely holds the gun with two fingers to see if limp wristing affects it, and does not get any malfunctions.

So, I'm not saying that limp wristing is a myth, but that I think it may be a combination of things other than poor grip. Maybe the guns you are seeing that with could benefit from a stronger/lighter recoil spring. I remember reading your P99 is first generation, so perhaps the previous owner(s) messed with spring weights. Or maybe it is just due for a tune up. A set of stock springs might help that out.
That doesn't really explain the SR22 issues with my friend. ;)

· Registered
334 Posts
No, definitely not a myth. The first time my 10 yr old fired my G17 every shot was a stovepipe. I kept telling him he had to get a good grip and hold it tight, by the second mag no more stovepipes. Nobody else that shot it had any problems.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, definitely not a myth. The first time my 10 yr old fired my G17 every shot was a stovepipe. I kept telling him he had to get a good grip and hold it tight, by the second mag no more stovepipes. Nobody else that shot it had any problems.
I thought Glocks never jammed. ;) But seriously though, if you watch the new shooter you can see the muzzle rize much higher than normal with a limp-wrist.

· Registered
460 Posts
i have gotten a stovepipe before. i know how to make a good grip and all the good shooting fundamentals but at time when i go from shooting a lot of say .22lr to shooting my 9mm i dont even think about it recoiling more and so when im used to the .22 recoil and switch to 9mm i have gotten one. the second it happens i realize what i did and dont let it happen again.

· Registered
334 Posts
I thought Glocks never jammed. ;) But seriously though, if you watch the new shooter you can see the muzzle rize much higher than normal with a limp-wrist.
Yeah well i guess even a Glock is no match for the destructive power of a 10 yr old !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.