New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often hear it repeated " Racking the slide on a shotgun will scare a assailant away. Lets dicuss the praticality of that statement. Sure it may work on petty burglar or a robber that sees a crime of opportunity. But what about a hardened armed criminal or team of escaped convicts/any other group that need the security of your home to hide from the authorities. It is my thought that your adversary hearing your location when you rack the slide will only place you at a tactical disadvantage.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I agree, though I think this one has been argued quite a bit. For punk kids breaking in, I think racking the slide or seeing the weapon will likely have them bolting out the door. A criminal that is on drugs or mentally insane in one way or another, it may not be enough.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
It's already racked. It's that little click of the safety they better fear.

·
Registered
573 Posts
In my eyes, it's only slightly more intimidating than yelling "I have a gun!"
If you plan a standing defense of a specific area, it might make sense to "warn them off", as long as you are willing to sit there and wait until the police come.
If you are going to investigate the situation, then any noise is your enemy.
Of course, with a little practice, you can load a shotguns chamber with almost no noise, as I said in the other thread.
Pull the pump arm back about 3/4 of the way, but do not let the lift gate engage. Drop a shell into the chamber, and gently close the action. Holding down the arm release will also help get rid of the last little "clunk" of the bolt seating home.\
Most of the noise from racking a shotgun comes from the shell being kicked out of the feed tube, and lifted by the lift gate. Eliminate those from the loading, and you are making about as much noise as cocking a revolver.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If an intruder is in my home I don't want to give him warning that I'm about to defend myself.

Who knows what their mindset and/or capability is. The sound of danger could set them off firing in your general direction. The only thing they should possibly hear is a barely discernible click of the safety.

·
Registered
859 Posts
We all talk so callously about about shooting another human being who invades our home, I personally hope that I or any one I know is never forced into this situation but we all prepare for it.

My room is secured with an exterior door with a dead bolt on the second floor of my home and my shotgun has one in the tube but my first objective when being awoken by the "bump in the night" is to grab my cell phone and mash 911 to get help rolling my way. My second objective is to point my shotgun at the door with the hopes that the next person to come through it is an armed officer of the law after I unlock it for him. Let the police clear the house and secure it, they are better trained and better equipped, both physically and mentally, to do that sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Sdb, well said. We all have that bravado, but it would be interesting of how many have actually thought it through to the real end of the situation. Not the shooting, not the calling the police, more of the fact of who is going to bail you out of jail, who will fix the wall, who will clean up the mess, who will explain to your kids that daddy (or mommy) killed a person in your home? Yes, I know you will be able to justify that you saved their lives and that's the only reason that would fit anyway, BUT, would a 5yr old or a 12yr old understand?

Using a firearm to only intimidate is fine and it might solve the immediate problem. Might.

The firearm should only come out when a life is at risk.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
If an intruder is in my home I don't want to give him warning that I'm about to defend myself.

I would rather give warning I am about to end there life and let them decide if they want't to continue than just wait and shoot.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not sure how many of you are familiar with this story...

Albany teacher fatally shot in Amherst - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Albany teacher had too much to drink and stumbled into the wrong house late at night. The teacher was in the right neighborhood, but chose the wrong house to enter. He made a fatal mistake as the home owner took him for a burglar and shot him point blank with a shotgun. The Law protected the homeowner (NY has a Castle Doctrine), he was not criminally charged and I believe no civil suit was filed.

My feelings are mixed about this situation. The homeowner could've been more proactive in preventing a break-in, his door was completely unlocked so the teacher did not have to force his way in. Not sure what transpired in that situation, but I don't believe any slides were racked or warning shots were fired. This is case and point why Sdb's and Dave's comments are good ones, when someone's life is taken it's not a matter to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
IIRC that teacher scaled a 6' fence first to gain access to the backyard, the homeowner yelled from the top of the stairs, trespasser failed to comply and got what he got. No one will ever know if he had evil intentions or not.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I can't find reference to him scaling a 6' fence anywhere, from what I recall he walked right into the house from the garage entrance or front door, which was unlocked. I'm not saying the homeowner was in the wrong, the Law supported his actions and rightfully no charges were filed against him, but this situation could've had a better outcome.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sdb, well said. We all have that bravado, but it would be interesting of how many have actually thought it through to the real end of the situation. Not the shooting, not the calling the police, more of the fact of who is going to bail you out of jail, who will fix the wall, who will clean up the mess, who will explain to your kids that daddy (or mommy) killed a person in your home?
Yup. Covered the "after effects" of a shooting at home a long time ago. The people who will bail me out have already been talked to, a lawyer is already lined up if need be. I think of it as just another step in "home owners insurance" to cover all the bases.

Yes, I know you will be able to justify that you saved their lives and that's the only reason that would fit anyway, BUT, would a 5yr old or a 12yr old understand?
That depends on how the kids have been raised. My boys understand that there are bad people in the world, that will do very bad things to them, and to me. They also understand that avoiding a fight is better than winning one. I am firm in my belief that they have enough faith in my judgment that if I have to shoot someone in my home that they will understand that I did it because I didn't have a viable choice otherwise.

Using a firearm to only intimidate is fine and it might solve the immediate problem. Might.

The firearm should only come out when a life is at risk.
That's the problem. A lot of people who are "prepared" seem to think that the threat will be enough. They really haven't thought about the after effects of drawing a weapon. I have talked to people who weren't sure if they could pull the trigger if scaring them away didn't work. Those are the people who have weapons taken away from them, and used against them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Who knows what their mindset and/or capability is. The sound of danger could set them off firing in your general direction. The only thing they should possibly hear is a barely discernible click of the safety.
I agree why tip your hand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think any 5 or 10 year old would feel secure knowing that their father was able to protect thdm from the bad man. This guilt about taking the life of a criminal adversary is bunch of pusseyfide horse **** taught to Americans by the TV on how you should feel when you do your fatherly duties of protection. Instead of cowering like a sheep and letting the government handle it.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Not sure how many of you are familiar with this story...

Albany teacher fatally shot in Amherst - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Albany teacher had too much to drink and stumbled into the wrong house late at night. The teacher was in the right neighborhood, but chose the wrong house to enter. He made a fatal mistake as the home owner took him for a burglar and shot him point blank with a shotgun. The Law protected the homeowner (NY has a Castle Doctrine), he was not criminally charged and I believe no civil suit was filed.

My feelings are mixed about this situation. The homeowner could've been more proactive in preventing a break-in, his door was completely unlocked so the teacher did not have to force his way in. Not sure what transpired in that situation, but I don't believe any slides were racked or warning shots were fired. This is case and point why Sdb's and Dave's comments are good ones, when someone's life is taken it's not a matter to be taken lightly.
Proactive in preventing a break in? F that,
I live in the burbs, that's as pro active as it gets. I rarely lock my doors, very rarely, does that mean I should get robed? Are going to go over to the east side to console the crack heads so they don't come out to the burbs to rob stuff, if not, your not being proactive (sarcasm). As Willy pointed out, the guy hopped a fence, went inside than after being told to leave tried going upstairs. Home owner was proactive as you put it, he told him to leave, he didn't continued to carry out his felony and paid the price.
If you plan of firing a warning shot, get rid of your guns.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
'Warning shot', that's great.
Right up there with 'shoot to wound'.

The last thing heard is a soft click, the last thing seen is a fireball and perhaps the carpet from a very low angle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Believe me, the last thing I ever want to do is take the life of another person (especially over a robbery attempt), but if I ever have to act in legitimate defense of myself, my family, or my country I will not hesitate.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I wouldn't fire a warning shot, that would do additional damage inside my home. I have a 2-yr old and will have another infant in less than a month; a warning would potentially increase the risk to my family (what if a shot ricocheted through a ceiling or wall?). If I have to draw in self-defense and the assailant doesn't back down immediately, I would not hesitate.

Shouldn't matter where you live, whether in the suburbs or a City, locking your doors/windows is a good policy to protect you and your family. An assailant can more easily quietly enter your home through an unlocked door, no guarantee you'll be awakened by his presence, and you may not have time to react by the time you realize your life is in imminent danger.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts