New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife & I want to go to Letchworth this weekend. It will be our first visiting the park. Anyone have any tips? I would definitely appreciate any "insider" info, lol. Want to make sure that we see all the cool stuff.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
It is a really nice place to camp.....Pick a place close to the cliff that runs down to the river if you can...It's a nice walk down in the mini-canyon,and decent fishing in the river if ya want to take a pole along...:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I've gone almost every single year of my life. The amount of tips I could give could fill a book. I won't post them just yet, but sometime tomorrow I'll work on my monster list of tips.

BTW, no CC in state parks.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Great place to hike. Beautiful in the fall for pictures. When my girls where little, they did freak me out getting a little too close to the edge. Not sure if the restaurant is open yet.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Screw it, I'll just do it now.

* Note - This list will be more designed for those staying in the cabins, but if you're tent or RV camping, you'll find some use for this as well.

In the park:

- The pool between the A & B cabin areas is closed, indefinitely I believe. Last year it looked like it had passed the point of no return. It's a shame, since the other pool is at the ass end of the park and is pretty lame compared to the closed one. It's your only option and it's likely to be packed, but it's still fun.

- Speaking of the pool, check out the even listings when you get there. They often have concerts at the pool. Even if you don't like what's playing, you should still go, especially if you have kids. It's still a fun time no matter what the act is.

- Avoid the lower falls restaurant. If you're starving, by all means, but it's sub-standard food at high prices and there's hardly anyone ever in there anymore.

- Best place for river access is a road over by the CCC statue, just down the road from the Lower Falls Restaurant and closed pool. It's a bit of a walk, and the trail does split a couple of times, but it's not hard to figure out. Watch out for snakes.

- Be sure to get ice cream at the Mount Morris Dam gift shop and get your picture taken in the big chair. The mint ice cream is awesome.

- If you plan on hiking trails, get the trail map. I wish I could tell you which to go on and which to avoid, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Here are a few I do remember.

Wolf Creek - Great trail, not too long, some great views at the top and some nice bridges. Areas for a bbq or picnic at the start of the trail. Most people stop when they get to the very top, but the trail does keep going as part of one of the larger trail systems. Unless you're planning for something more, getting to the top is enough.

Lower Falls Trail (unsure of actual name) - This is the trail that takes you to the lower rock footbridge. Very nice trail with lots of steps. You can get on it at a few points, but I suggest starting on it at the Lower Falls Restaurant. I've seen people jump from the bridge, but I wouldn't suggest it. Though, if you do feel like doing something daring, you could always clime to the top of that cliff face just past the bridge, the one with the big sign that says "DO NOT CLIMB." It gets a little sketchy at the top, but boy does the view look nice. *NOTE* You climb this thing at your own risk and I'm not responsible for your death. Here's a couple of pictures that might get the want to do it out of your system.
First pic is the picture of the cliff in question, at the right.

Views from the cliff:

Unnamed trail - I don't think this is an official trail, but if you're staying or going near the A cabin areas, if you go to the annex at the back of the loop, you'll see a trail. Follow it and it will eventually end at a cliff face. This trail is great by bike, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're a casual rider, mostly because of the cliff face at the end.

Trail 1 - I believe this is the trail that goes alongside the Glen Iris Inn. It's pretty long, but it takes you through much of the park. You'll go by the GII, the railroad bridge and the upper falls I think. There are a lot of steps.

That's all I can remember for now, but I'll talk with my dad and see if he remembers any. There's a couple nice ones I know I'm missing so check back later. Maybe I'll do a part two. Your best bet is to just get a trail map and just explore them. They're all clearly marked with clean paths, so getting lost isn't an issue. It's too bad you won't be there the same time as me, I'd show you all the cool off-the-map type stuff.

- Speaking of the Glen Iris Inn, it's a cool place, and definitely worth stopping in, but I've never once eaten there. In our family, it has always been tradition that the ladies go there for lunch and the guys order a pizza and go to the car show. They seem to like it, but it's fancy food for fancy people, so if that's not you, then you might not want to actually eat there.

- Bring a loaf of bread to feed the fish in the pond near the GII. It's boring but...eh...it's kind of fun to watch them fight over the bread.

- Visit the museum near the GII. The mastodon skull is definitely worth it alone. Try not to puke when you see the hair wreath. Donate to the museum and sign the guest book! Leave me a note and I'll look for it when I go later in July.

- If you like horseback riding, there's a place to do it, but I've never actually done it, so you'll have to ask the lady at the desk when you check in.

- Again, check the list of events. Sometimes there's a lady who does a little wildlife lecture that's mostly aimed at kids, but its fun for adults too, especially when the snake she handles bites the crap out of here and she starts bleeding all over the floor. Good times!

- If you stay in the cabins, bring a fan, the summer swelters around there and the cabins have no air system to speak of. A simple box fan pointed at your bed is a really good idea.

- Bring shower shoes. The showering facilities are disgusting and one of the areas hit due to budget cuts.

- White water rafting. There's a group that does it, but last year they weren't due to the lack of rain. It's put on by Adventure Calls. I did it once and it was really fun. I think they're a bunch of Christians though, due to the Jesus fish at their web site, but it was never mentioned during the trip, so who knows.

Adventure Calls - Western New York's Premier River Runners

- Speaking of budget cuts, you'll notice a lot of orange fencing up around the park. It's cheaper to put that up than do actual maintenance on things, and I've noticed it quite a bit these last few years.

- Go to Inspiration Point at night. They turn the lights on at the falls and it looks really nice. Tell your kids or wife about how a guy hanged himself by that gross pond at the Point.

- There's a trout pond in the park, it's a bit up the road from the Glen Iris Inn. You'll see a sign for it. I've fished in there a few times and didn't catch jack, so I'm not sure if there's even any trout in it. Then again, I don't fish, so there you go.

- Mary Jemison Statue/Indian Huts - Not sure if these are open anymore due to budget cuts, but they used to give tours up there and they're kinda cool to look at. Best way to get to them is to park outside of the museum, and right behind it near the bathrooms, there's a trail that will take you up and by some pretty cool wood carvings.

There are plenty of other things to do in the park, but many of them just require exploration. Feel free to ask the people at the check in desk for more tips and look around at listings and brochures.

Outside the Park

Format: Name - Location - Description - Website if available

The Charcoal Corral - Perry - The best place around there. A double feature drive-in with two screens, mini-golf, pizza parlor, ice cream and arcade. This is where they also have car shows quite often, but I don't know if they'll happen while you're there. Check out their website for more info:

Charcoal Corral and Silver Lake Twin Drive-In -

Mumford Village (AKA Genesee Country Village & Museum) - Mumford - Very cool old-timey village that depicts 19th century life. A bit of a drive, but a lot of fun.

GCV&M :: 19th Century Village : Living History Museum : Tours : Shows

Stoney Brook State Park - Dansville - Another near-by state park to check out. If you have your park tag on your window, you'll get in for free (just point it out to the people at the gate). Some great trails, awesome views and lots of places to get into the water. They'll have signs that say that you can't get into the water while on the trails, but it's just to cover their asses and everyone does it. Just beware, the rocks there are really slippery, so walk carefully, but be sure to at least get in at the waterfall. It's really cool, especially if there's been a lot of rain.

Stony Brook State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Darien Lake (AKA Six Flags) - Darien - It's an amusement park, not much to say there. I used to go every single year that I was at Letchworth, but since my wife hates rides, I hardly ever get to go because I REFUSE to ride with complete strangers. I'm sure you can find their website on your own. Don't buy your tickets at the park, buy them at some of the local grocery stores or banks or whatever, they're a lot cheaper.

Flea Market -East Avon - If you're into flea markets, there's a great one in Avon on Sunday. It's a little confusing to navigate, but it's a lot of fun. There's another one near by, but it kinda sucks. If you want to know where it is, PM me and I'll find out for you.

Home | Eastavonfleamarket

Walmart - Geneseo/Warsaw - In case you need one for whatever reason. I believe the Warsaw is the closer location.

Ok, I grow tired of this, so I'll leave it at that. That should be enough to fill your weekend. Again, I'm leaving out a ton of stuff, so ask around, explore, it's a great time. A few important tips and I leave this:

1. Laugh at the city folk who pull over to look at deer. Sometimes they don't pull over, you have my permission to ram them off the road.
2. There's a lot of wildlife, but mostly raccoons. They say not to feed them, but I do every year. They especially love marshmallows.

3. Thunder storms are ridiculously loud. I have no idea why, but for some reason, they really boom in that area.
4. It's entirely possible that it rains the entire time you're there. It once rained for two weeks straight while I was there.
5. Do not bring firewood from other areas. It damages local forests due to non-native bug species.
6. Plenty of roadside farm stands. Good for fresh vegis.
7. The park is surrounded by cornfields. Easy to get lost in those areas. Be sure to bring a GPS or map.

Anyway, hope that helps.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great list of tips for the park. I have been going there since i was little, now we camp there every year. Last year we werent able to, but we are hoping to do a trip this year. If you are only going for one day, pick a few things and do them, its very hard to see even half of everything in a day unless you are rushing around. I would highly suggest camping there for at least a weekend.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You cannot carry (Legally) in ANY NY State Park.

Sorry Cooden....

But, Letchworth is a great park to hike and visit!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Grand Canyon of the East as it is called, I've been there about 6 different times, took my wife on a hot air balloon ride over letchworth. I have to say the park is a gem. Load your backpack up and do so hiking! have fun! Let us know how it went?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Cooden, if you guys plan on going to Darien lake, let me know and I can send you this coupon for $20 off the ticket price. They're giving them out here at work.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Temporary, THANK YOU for the an awesome write up!! Thanks to everyone else also for adding as well! Temporary, we are just going for the day--what trail would you suggest for doing a day hike? From what some people are saying, it looks like we will only have time to do one good trail.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
That's a tough call. Trail 1 takes you through most of the park, but the lower falls trail has better views and is much more fun. I'd have to say, do the lower falls trail, and if you're doing ok on time after at, hit up wolf creek.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a tough call. Trail 1 takes you through most of the park, but the lower falls trail has better views and is much more fun. I'd have to say, do the lower falls trail, and if you're doing ok on time after at, hit up wolf creek.
Is there a specific entrance for the lower falls trail?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Yes. Park your car in the lot across from the lower falls restaurant. It's a huge lot with a pay phone nearby. From there, start walking towards the restaurant, but keep to the left. You pass a pavilion and some swing sets and such. You'll see a dirt path trail to the left, stick with it for about ten minutes (a little less actually) and you'll see a large wooden sign that talks about the trail, and that's where you'll start your long descent down the giant staircase. Once there, the trail is self explanatory. Just note that the trail doesn't loop. You can keep going past the bridge, but it's mostly just wooded and it ends at one of the back roads, so you'll have to turn around and backtrack back up the stairs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts