1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Playing army or cowboys and indians was daily fair for us as kids. We naturally had to have guns.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Agreed - when I was little I played with play guns all the time. Even the snowbrush in the backseat of the wagon became a rifle in my hands on long trips. I had swords, guns, grenades, troops, you name it. I had real pocketknives, carried my favorite one (an ungodly heavy swiss army knife with everything you could fit on it) everywhere even to school. We used to be able to bring our shotguns to college with us, check them in at public safety office for storage, and check them out to go hunting or shooting. No questions, no problems just a safe storage which I thought was pretty awesome.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
I'm not sure whether it matters if they have toy guns, they'll turn stuff into guns if they don't. Sticks, legos, dowels, fingers, Pop Tarts...

But we have plenty of toy guns anyway. The Nerf Recon CS-18 is the new favorite.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
i had dart guns, cap guns, water guns, wooden guns, bb guns, pellet guns, rubber band guns, potato guns to name a few.
Those were my toy guns.

Things got very serious when i shot real guns with Dad!
Those were Shotguns, Hand Guns and Rifles.

I knew the Difference since the beginning of memory!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
We used to be able to bring our shotguns to college with us, check them in at public safety office for storage, and check them out to go hunting or shooting. No questions, no problems just a safe storage which I thought was pretty awesome.
You can't do that anymore? I did so when I was in school, though that's a lot longer ago than it feels.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I virtually came out of the womb in camo with a gun in my hand. Growing up in the foothills of the catskill mountains; with the closest neighbor a half mile away, had me and my little bro playing army in the woods all day, every day.

Started shooting real guns well before I was 10. Started playing paintball as I got older, and now I train virtually every day to some extent.

Im a proud husband, father, homeowner, and all around law abiding citizen.

My little guys love their toy guns. One of them just picked out a hk G36 at the toy store this weekend, and they are pulling the trigger with gunshot sounds as I type this... :)

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Like the rest here, I turned out just fine. Nearly everything we did as kids involved some type of gun. Even if it was just a finger gun. Always playing.

My little guy (10YO) has been playing with toy guns for, well as long as I can remember. He is a fine boy, never in trouble at home or school. I bought his first "real" gun when he was eight. He got a Henry Lever Action 22lr. For his ninth Birthday he got a Ruger SR22. Next birthday, a brand new 20 gauge will be waiting for him.

All three of my boys were brought up around guns; both real and toy, they have all turned out just fine.

Guns do not make criminals out of children, bad parenting does!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If little boys don't play with toy guns they grow up to be monsters. Those monsters are called gun grabbers, I'm getting chills just thinking about it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Jeesh, I say let kids BE freakin' KIDS! WTF happened to the world today? MAN!!!

When I grew up (late 60's / early 70's) I had all the usual toy guns, too (and some not-so-toy-guns)! I had everything from BB guns, Pellet, Cap guns, and every other toy type gun imaginable...Nerf, water guns, and plain ol' basic cheap-ass $1.00 plastic toy guns.... We all played cops & robbers, Cowboys & Indians, Space stuff, Army stuff, you name it. AND we all watched Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, Wile E. Coyote....and every other violent cartoons there were to watch! I'm not a criminal, I'm not mean, I'm not some baby killer, or terrorist, or a menace to society.

It's really sad...Kids don't really have a "release" anymore...The don't even go outside to PLAY anymore! They're sitting behind a computer, playing World of Warcraft, or texting, or whatever the hell kids do these days. Parents have to schedule "play dates"??? WTF??? Jeeesh, we went outside, and came home when the fire whistle went off. (6pm) We rode bikes all freakin' day long (rode for MILES every day). we played football, frisbee, wiffle ball, out in the street, we played hide & seek all night long in front of our houses, or in our backyards, and parents were out there with us, most of the time, just hangin' out with other parents......Seems like kids just sit inside all day with all this pent up energy, anymore...and that's not good.

Yeah, OK, I understand it's not 1970, the world has changed, there's a lot of bad people out there, etc etc, you have to watch your kids, different time, different era, etc. But, when we were kids, we'd all watch for each other, and on ANY given day, there'd be at LEAST, 10-12 of us all outside playing, at the same time. Basically all the kids from the street including all the older brothers & sisters were out there with us......eh, different times, I guess....Sorry, just ranting again, like I usually do.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
My son came home from hockey last night and immediately strapped on a holster with a toy pistol. He still had on his long underwear (black poly) from playing hockey. We asked him if he was Captain Kirk, lol...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ah the good ol' days, nerf guns, super soakers, rubber band guns and of course the classic "six-shooter" and rifle cap guns.

Now you point a finger "gun" at someone or have a squirt gun fight in the front yard and you're liable to get raided by the popo.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Cap guns, nerf guns, squirt guns, bb guns, pellet guns.. You name it I had it all. Still no record. Still not a criminal. Still contributing to society.

Breaking the laws of liberalism while giving zero f***s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts