New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even in self-defense, can you afford to pull the trigger? - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

"I don't think anything goes through their mind expect defending themselves and wanting to live," he said. "I'm here to tell you that if you do that and if you defend yourself, your actions will be scrutinized very, very carefully and in most cases you'll end up charged with a crime." <emphases added>

Had he not had his gun on him that night, Bryce Fortier believes he could be dead. Which is why, despite the aftermath, he still carries his pistol.
If he ever finds himself in the same situation, he says he would pull the trigger again - even if he can't afford to

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
we are in NY.

You are guilty until proven not guilty (note i didnt say innocent, as the state never believes someone is in a self defense shooting)...

Its ludacris that criminals are given more benefits of the doubt, and provided with more excuses for their actions than law abiding citizens who only care to go about their daily lives and not get killed , robbed, or raped.

· Registered
201 Posts
Makes me sick. He did it the right way too, only shot once, used just enough force required to stop the attack. Hell I would have shot a hammer pair just to be sure.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
we are in NY.

You are guilty until proven not guilty (note i didnt say innocent, as the state never believes someone is in a self defense shooting)...

Its ludacris that criminals are given more benefits of the doubt, and provided with more excuses for their actions than law abiding citizens who only care to go about their daily lives and not get killed , robbed, or raped.
I'd rather be alive with a chance at innocence then dead with none.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
There were mistakes made here, and even here in WA we do not know everything about this procecution...however, in WA if the government chooses to charge and try you for an act of self defence...and they loose (as here), they pay...BY LAW RCW 9A.16.110: Defending against violent crime

So, I have a problem with this whole story as it supposedly took place in WA???
They addressed that in the article towards the bottom...

"A jury acquitted Bryce Fortier of murder and manslaughter. However, when asked to rule whether the shooting was justified, a procedural step that determines if a defendant should be reimbursed court costs, the jury did not agree that Fortier acted in self-defense.Mazzone could not explain the latter ruling, but suggested it could have been a symbolic gesture to the victim's family."

· Registered
6,396 Posts
Catchy phrases sound wonderful when you aren't faced with reality. I have a 5 million dollar umbrella policy that hopefully will cover my lawyer expenses and any civil judgements against me. Does anyone really want to leave their family with a huge debt that may not be able to be repaid, I don't.
I'll keep the policy until I can escape to a self-defense friendly state such as Ohio, where you cannot be sued civilly.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Catchy phrases sound wonderful when you aren't faced with reality. I have a 5 million dollar umbrella policy that hopefully will cover my lawyer expenses and any civil judgements against me. Does anyone really want to leave their family with a huge debt that may not be able to be repaid, I don't.
I'll keep the policy until I can escape to a self-defense friendly state such as Ohio, where you cannot be sued civilly.
When you are faced with reality you aren't going to be thinking "well this guy is about to end my life, but I'm not quite sure I will be able to pay my bills, so I guess I should just die. Then we will all be better off."

· Registered
948 Posts
They addressed that in the article towards the bottom...
Thanks I missed that...so that would also be why the family could sue. In a normal case of self-defense here, first, If they do prosecute and loose, the state has to pay the defense, and you cannot be sued....

The jury did him good by not conficting him, but they did him real dirty by not calling it self-defense.

· Registered
6,396 Posts
When you are faced with reality you aren't going to be thinking "well this guy is about to end my life, but I'm not quite sure I will be able to pay my bills, so I guess I should just die. Then we will all be better off."
I won't need to think since my insurance will cover any monetary issues, the thinking was done beforehand as it should be, now I can just react. It's part of MY self-defense preparation. YMMV

· Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won't need to think since my insurance will cover any monetary issues, the thinking was done beforehand as it should be, now I can just react. It's part of MY self-defense preparation. YMMV
what insurance do you have that covers the cost of self-defense?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.