New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about the UN-SAFE act-
is it legal for me to lend a shotgun to my best friend so he can go hunting with his cousins? the only reason why i ask is because i wont be able to join him do to my work schedule and thus i wont be there to say "yes thats my gun and i was just letting him give it a whirl."
It would suck if he got pulled over and the cop asked who's gun it was and in the end have my gun taken from me and/or face legal troubles.
Back in the day i feel like this wouldnt be an issue but nowadays i have no clue.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Well, tough question. I am not advocating breaking the law, but when did you acquire the gun? Pre safe? if you did then there is the possibility you sold it to him before every transaction needed Background checks. If after safe, I am not sure. Does lending the gun constitute a transfer? Maybe someone else can chime in.

· Registered
3,557 Posts
It would be illegal if the friend has a demostic violence conviction or is a convicted felon. I have friends whom I have no idea what they did prior in their lives. Something could of happened years ago and was never brought up.

I personally wouldn't let no one but my immediate family borrow a gun, but they all have guns so no need to let them borrow one.
Why? I'll tell you,
Back in the 80s one of my brothers let a neighbor borrow a Ithaca model 66 lever-action single-shot 20 gauge shotgun so one of his sons could go hunting. Later that day a younger son of the neighbor got in an argument with a neighborhood kid, went home grabed my brothers shotgun and was going to kill the neighborhood kid. Cops came, the neighbors little bastard went to juvinile detention, the gun got concficated and the court system had to play it all out. If I remember right it was over a year before my brother got his shotgun returned. After that No firearm lending for me, if god came down and wanted to borrowa gun, go hit up a pawn shop or buy a cheap $150 gun from the gunstore. If they don't like it sell it and recoup probably over half of your money.

To serious of a tool to loan out, when they can buy one for less the $200. If something were to happen the numbers on the gun comes back to you and you could be in the list of people that have to go to court and posibly pay a penalty because the gun belonged to you.

**** Happens - Every Day

· Registered
2,689 Posts
It is up to the interpretation of the law. I would interpret giving someone a gun and leaving as a transfer. Just because it is temporary doesn't change that. Therefore, that process would require a background check and to go through an FFL.

Is it ridiculous? Yep. Will you do what you want to do anyway? Maybe. The above is my strict interpretation of the law as it stands today.

Ridiculous or not, let's not promote illegal activity on the Internet though.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Therein lies the question. What does the law consider a transfer? Vague laws are vague.
The law only covers "sales, exchanges or disposals". I do not see where those terms are defined in the business law, but my uneducated guess would be that a sale or exchange would mean that you are receiving something of material value for the gun, and disposal would mean you have an intent to permanently get rid of the gun.

These laws are vaguely defined, sometimes delayed in implementation and arbitrarily enforced. I think it is a roll of the dice in terms of who goes to court and who does not. You can try to do the right thing if it makes you feel better, but as a gun owner they can come for you and run you through the system pretty much any time they please no matter how much you tried to follow the law.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
I would not do it. 20 years ago, if you went into a gun store and he let you see the gun( holding it) and how it feels. It was not a sale if the customer handed it back. Now if he doesn't have a handgun permit, both the store rep and the customer are in trouble for a gun sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.