New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had offers on purchase of my preban (chinese) SKS provided i ship within the state of N.Y.
My question to the forum scholars is... can i 'legally' ship via either USPS or UPS from upstate N.Y. to downstate N.Y. ?
Obviously i'd require some form of I.D. to verify that it is actually headed to non-criminal type resident... plus i would need to insure against loss or damages while in transit. Are there any details regarding shipping that would exclude this 'type' firearm from legal deliver ? I know i could utilize the 'services' of my local FFL dealer to complete the transaction but this method obviously creates additional costs/fees for the potential buyer.
Thanks for any insite that those of u in the know might lend !!

· Registered
258 Posts
If you are a c&r or any FFL holder and your recipient is an FFL holder then you are ok.

Edit: according to others below me inside NY state shipping long guns door to door is fine without an FFL, I apologize for not mentioning that as I was unaware.

· Registered
813 Posts
Had offers on purchase of my preban (chinese) SKS provided i ship within the state of N.Y.
My question to the forum scholars is... can i 'legally' ship via either USPS or UPS from upstate N.Y. to downstate N.Y. ?
Obviously i'd require some form of I.D. to verify that it is actually headed to non-criminal type resident... plus i would need to insure against loss or damages while in transit. Are there any details regarding shipping that would exclude this 'type' firearm from legal deliver ? I know i could utilize the 'services' of my local FFL dealer to complete the transaction but this method obviously creates additional costs/fees for the potential buyer.
Thanks for any insite that those of u in the know might lend !!
You can ship long rifles to a NY resident door to door as long as they don't live in Nassau County.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for heads up........would usps be simpler method...probably less costly than UPS delivery ??
i'll have to check if Long Isl. is within Nassau Co. before committing to sale.
thanks again-

· Registered
1,559 Posts
MDX - many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!
very welcome. how you want to verify age and identity is up to you. when watching tracking to other NYers. USPS from downstate to upstate first goes to MASS then back to NY. 2-4 days priority. UPS stays in NY and is almost always next day with ground. FedEx ground seems to get similar results as UPS but is often cheaper. I have only shipped from south NY to north NY so western NYers may get other results.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
It is always good policy to pack EXTREMELY well and insure it.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Use FedEx!! The gun is there next day without a problem. They are generally less expensive than UPS as well. I refuse to use USPS for even mailing a letter now because they take sooooo long to get something 4 hours away from me!!! (4 days is ridiculous) Also, UPS can go to MA, VT, PA and CT before the package comes back into NY. (which again can make it a long wait!!!) FedEx ... nope ... it stays in NY and no extra charge to assure it's there the next PLUS they deliver on Saturdays!!!! Just my two cents and what I've observed shipping things when sold on Ebay and ordering parts from Numrichs as well as shipping guns.)

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Fedex beats UPS on shipping if you are honest and tell them it is a gun. UPS policy is guns must be overnight shipped, so that is a crapload of cash. Fedex does not do that, and I have no idea about USPS.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok looks like 1st choice will be FedEx .....then UPS if need be.
Last thing i want is usps to delay or 'misplace' shpmnt...
Appreciate the members wisdom on this subject, takes the guess work out of it too.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
yeah the tracking on ups and fedex is exact and you always know where your item is. USPS is a total guess and estimate lol. if costs a little more but get signature confirm to insure an adult signs for it. just some CYA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.