New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the ccw permit has restrictions like bars etc, but I forget if hospitals are on the list, or is it legal to carry there. Recent story in the news about dr. At a hospital in ny killing Somone and taking off made me wonder if you are even allowed to carry there?

· Registered
1,776 Posts
First you can carry in a bar you just can't get drunk while carrying in a bar. As far as hospitals, i can't remember the last time I went to a hospital and not seen a sign that said No Guns Allowed.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
That would be the hospital policy not law IIRC

EDIT: remainder of this post retracted and removed due to confusion of information and an outbreak of stupids on my part.
it is quoted below anyway, but removed here to try to help ensure others didn't get the wrong info

· Registered
35 Posts
Most if not all hospitals in NY have a no firearms policy unless you are law enforcement/ Hospital Security etc...
the only thing that is state mandated is mental health facilities where even law enforcement is NOT allowed to carry.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts

As to bars, no, you can't carry in a bar.
You can however carry in an establishment that gets 50% or less of its revinue from alcohol sales.

Bob's bar, no.
Bob's bar and dance club, very doubtful.
Bob's bar and grill, mabe.
Bob's grill where they sell alcohol, definitely.
there is nothing in NYS law prohibiting against carry into a bar

also hospitals are iffy, if there is ANY sort of medical program where students go there, intern, etc...then its classified as a school zone in the area of guns on the property.

· Registered
6,329 Posts

As to bars, no, you can't carry in a bar.
You can however carry in an establishment that gets 50% or less of its revinue from alcohol sales.

Bob's bar, no.
Bob's bar and dance club, very doubtful.
Bob's bar and grill, mabe.
Bob's grill where they sell alcohol, definitely.
Wrong. There is no law concerning carry in bars. The judge might tell you when it's issued not to but it is certainly not a law.

As to the OP, it is perfectly legal to carry in hospitals. The only area you need to watch if it's a teaching hospital and part of a college campus like Upstate for example. I'm not sure the legalities on that but it's something to check before you do it.

· Registered
223 Posts
Prohibition of carry in a hospital that is part of a college campus or a teaching hospital may not be a certain thing. A few years ago, here in Rochester, there was a case involving the RIT Inn & Conference Center which is owned by the Rochester Institute of Technology and operated as a hotel and conference center but also is used for school functions. A man staying a the hotel was arrested for having firearms in the hotel. I don't recall if the case went to trial or not but the judge threw out the charges stating that a school owned facility that is used for other commercial functions is not the same as school property. In other words, if you allow your facility to be used for non school functions and charge for it, that particular facility is not considered part of the school.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
I work at a teaching hospital, it is associtaed with UB, is it pat of it and considered a school area? I have no idea, there are some no firearms signs, but, not law, policy.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Prohibition of carry in a hospital that is part of a college campus or a teaching hospital may not be a certain thing. A few years ago, here in Rochester, there was a case involving the RIT Inn & Conference Center which is owned by the Rochester Institute of Technology and operated as a hotel and conference center but also is used for school functions. A man staying a the hotel was arrested for having firearms in the hotel. I don't recall if the case went to trial or not but the judge threw out the charges stating that a school owned facility that is used for other commercial functions is not the same as school property. In other words, if you allow your facility to be used for non school functions and charge for it, that particular facility is not considered part of the school.
I think every hospital in the 518 area is associated with a school of some sort and is used for education purposes, but not sure about out west.
I'd never risk it if I carried to go into a hospital. Especially if it's located within a couple miles of a college campus.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
If it's a standard hospital, just look for the signs. If it's not posted, why worry?

Also, concealed means concealed.

Also, carry in bars is a-ok.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I brought the question of "teaching hospitals" up with the DOJ last year. They told us that any educational institution is off limits and this leaves 'teaching hospitals" up to court interpretation. With most hospitals having a no firearms policy and some having that policy as well as being considered a "teaching hospital", you could be opening yourself up to some legal troubles by carrying in said hospitals. Whenever we talk with the DOJ about these questions, I get an e-mail that contains the law (which we already knew) and a phone call with the interpretation of who called us. Their opinion was that a hospital that has students, is an educational institution and is off limits with firearms. I has asked for any supporting court cases and have not to date received those yet.

As for bars in NY State, you can carry into bars as stated. However County Judges who sign permits can impose administrative requests asking you to not carry in bars. This is what the judge does in Niagara County when they issue permits.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I brought the question of "teaching hospitals" up with the DOJ last year. They told us that any educational institution is off limits and this leaves 'teaching hospitals" up to court interpretation. With most hospitals having a no firearms policy and some having that policy as well as being considered a "teaching hospital", you could be opening yourself up to some legal troubles by carrying in said hospitals. Whenever we talk with the DOJ about these questions, I get an e-mail that contains the law (which we already knew) and a phone call with the interpretation of who called us. Their opinion was that a hospital that has students, is an educational institution and is off limits with firearms. I has asked for any supporting court cases and have not to date received those yet.

As for bars in NY State, you can carry into bars as stated. However County Judges who sign permits can impose administrative requests asking you to not carry in bars. This is what the judge does in Niagara County when they issue permits.
I'm not arguing with you, but their interpretation leaves a HUGE decision up to the individual court. What is the difference between someone doing an internship to become a doctor and an intern at the local pharmacy or even at my company? What about paid co-ops/internships? Does employing a student, at any job, automatically create a gun-free zone?

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm not arguing with you, but their interpretation leaves a HUGE decision up to the individual court. What is the difference between someone doing an internship to become a doctor and an intern at the local pharmacy or even at my company? What about paid co-ops/internships? Does employing a student, at any job, automatically create a gun-free zone?
You would not be arguing with me as we are just passing along their "non answer" not our interpretation of the law. I was just making the point that NY can be a very hard state to get exact answers when it comes to laws. A local District Attorney is always quoted on this as saying "the laws in NY are very complicated and depend on many factors". Just another non answer to these many complicated questions.

· Registered
3,441 Posts
when I moved and temporarily had restrictions added to my permit one of the reasons the judge was not allowing me to have an unrestricted permit was because I could take my gun to a bar, or a sporting event. Anyway, the ER at my local hospital has a sign that says no weapons or firearms and there is a metal detector when you actually go into the ER , out of 4 entrances, I think 2 have signs and the others do not so I use the ones with no signs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.