New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've been very hesitant to do so and I cant find my pistol permit law and guideline book, can anyone help me out? oops, meant to say "mall" in the title...
Then why do you have a CCW?

Two things...

1. You have a CCW and are not aware of the laws governing where it is permissible to carry? This is problematic!

2. You are hesitant which is also problematic! Would you then be hesitant when and if needed to protect yourself, or the firearm you carry should the situation arise?

just thoughts/questions, not flaming you...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've been very hesitant to do so and I cant find my pistol permit law and guideline book, can anyone help me out? oops, meant to say "mall" in the title...
Private businesses can prohibit carry firearns. However, many Malls permit legal CCW. I don't think it's a criminal matter and I've never been searched entering a mall, I think if you're stupid, brandishing it about or there is an accidental discharge, you'll be in trouble regardless of the gun policy. The movie theaters are more apt to complain about a camera anyway.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
There is no law against it.

Such places might have special policies, and if you violate them you can be asked to leave. Only then would a refusal lead to a possible trespassing charge.

Any such policies do not have the force of law in NY.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Concealed is concealed - if some eagle-eyed mallcop can tell you're packing, then you're doing it wrong. Even if they installed walk-thru metal detectors at the entrances to these places with posted "no guns" policies - it's perfectly legal. However, being private property - all they can do is ask you to leave and if you refuse, they can have you charged with trespass.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I understand his hesitance, I think we all had some trepidation when we first started to carry. Now I feel naked without a gun on my side, even the wife asks why I'm not carrying the few times I leave the home without it. Don't give the guy a hard time, encourage him to carry as much as makes him comfortable. He will soon enough get used to the weight and feel and take it as normal to carry.

·
Registered
305 Posts
only places where it is illegal to carry is federal and state protected / owned / operated locations (like state parks, schools, most courts, and yes... even rest areas... stupid, I know). Malls and theatres are not on the list (neither are churches... that's another one that people ask about). They are private businesses and may post restrictions. Being caught defying the restriction may be cause for dismissal from the location... refusal to leave is trespass. Trespass is a criminal act.

As was pointed out, most malls have no restrictions (at least in western NY). But I have never been to a theatre that didn't have a restriction sign... although I have never been asked to leave for defying the restriction...

Follow?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
only places where it is illegal to carry is federal and state protected / owned / operated locations (like state parks, schools, most courts, and yes... even rest areas... stupid, I know). Malls and theatres are not on the list (neither are churches... that's another one that people ask about). They are private businesses and may post restrictions. Being caught defying the restriction may be cause for dismissal from the location... refusal to leave is trespass. Trespass is a criminal act.

As was pointed out, most malls have no restrictions (at least in western NY). But I have never been to a theatre that didn't have a restriction sign... although I have never been asked to leave for defying the restriction...

Follow?
For clarity - this applies to NY, other states it does vary. NC and TX have laws which state a properly placed/worded sign is legal notice and if you are caught you can be arrested - it isn't a case where they can merely ask you to leave or charge you with trespass.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There's a mall near me that used to have "no firearms" stickers on the mall entrance doors immediately adjacent to a move theatre inside the mall, so I attributed the stickers to AMC. All of a sudden one day I see the stickers are gone. "Nice", I think, good for AMC.
turns out it was the mall that had them pull the stickers, and move them to the ticket windows.
so carry in the mall is fine, but technically not the theatre.
I carry in both, regardless. My wife and I come out of the theatre some nights at 1:30 in the morning. No way I'm leaving my weapon home.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
AMEN, BROTHERS!!!
Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition !!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In God we trust.
Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the responses all. I appreciate it. Im comfortable carrying all the time but dont want to make a mistake and have it revoked...hence my inquiry!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts