New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not to pick, but really, please dont hunt deer with a 5.56. Coyotes and such, sure, but the 223.556 does not have the punch to ethically kill deer sized game. Will it kill deer, does it kill deer? Sure, but a .243-270-308 is a far more ethical choice. Even the .243 without excellent placement, isnt a fantastic deer round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to pick, but really, please dont hunt deer with a 5.56. Coyotes and such, sure, but the 223.556 does not have the punch to ethically kill deer sized game. Will it kill deer, does it kill deer? Sure, but a .243-270-308 is a far more ethical choice. Even the .243 without excellent placement, isnt a fantastic deer round.
I have a 300 blk that I planned on using but I have taken deer with a .223. It's a great round for any range within 100 yds and as long as your shot is in the vitals which it should be if you hunt there is no problem. ethics or not with hunting deer with a .223 within that 100 yd range. Some people have their beliefs about it and that's fine but your not gonna tell me that a round designed to end human life isn't suitable for deer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 300 blk that I planned on using but I have taken deer with a .223. It's a great round for any range within 100 yds and as long as your shot is in the vitals which it should be if you hunt there is no problem. ethics or not with hunting deer with a .223 within that 100 yd range. Some people have their beliefs about it and that's fine but your not gonna tell me that a round designed to end human life isn't suitable for deer.
300AAC is definitely a better round for deer. 168gr Hornady A-Max behind 15.5g H110 is a double hole puncher.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Home • The Modified AR › 5-56-kill-a...
Will a 5.56 Kill a Deer? - The Modified AR
300AAC is definitely a better round for deer. 168gr Hornady A-Max behind 15.5g H110 is a double hole puncher.
Absolutly. I agree. I've never hunted deer with the 300blk. I've used it a bunch though with hogs before I moved to New York. Now I just wanted to make sure it was legal to hunt with considering all these new laws.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Home • The Modified AR › 5-56-kill-a...
Will a 5.56 Kill a Deer? - The Modified AR

Absolutly. I agree. I've never hunted deer with the 300blk. I've used it a bunch though with hogs before I moved to New York. Now I just wanted to make sure it was legal to hunt with considering all these new laws.
There are downsides to the 300aac as well but at what you quoted for range of within 100yards, I’d still opt for a heavier 300 over a 223. Some states won’t even let you hunt unless it’s 30 Cal or larger. The 168 eld-x is good for hunting with the BO if you roll your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts