New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
,,that is like legal cc in westchester NY. .....largely, only a dream. ....show cause laws will pop up now, so DC residence will further be robbed of their 2nd Amendment rights...

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
There is a very interesting point in that article that would apply to NYC. One of the plaintiffs mentions how DC does have a permitting system in place for CCW, but refuses to issue the permits. That's basically what is in effect in NYC. When is Alan Gura going to make his way up here!?!

·
Registered
305 Posts
,,that is like legal cc in westchester NY. .....largely, only a dream. ....show cause laws will pop up now, so DC residence will further be robbed of their 2nd Amendment rights...
I think Heller defeats show cause laws for ownership... and this district court ruling says owners can carry. Some NY counties are already not compliant with case law ala. interpretation of Heller. D.C. isn't in a position to regulate just cause. They are essentially bound to a shall issue permit system or constitutional carry... along with their silly registration requirememts. Perhaps the permit is merely the act of registration?

I would like to know if I can carry there when I pass through the beltway on my way to NC next week.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There is a very interesting point in that article that would apply to NYC. One of the plaintiffs mentions how DC does have a permitting system in place for CCW, but refuses to issue the permits. That's basically what is in effect in NYC. When is Alan Gura going to make his way up here!?!
for some reason NYC will be overlooked. dont you guys know the 2nd amendment does not apply to NYC? They will simply change an administrative code and make whatever is deemed legal to be illegal. NYC should be made into its own state or country. The 2nd amendment is not followed here at all as evidenced by my rifle permit that costs 140.00 every 3 years, and the illegal Sullivan act which makes pistols 340/yr. Its such a Joke!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I hear you brother. I loved how they claim they need the money from the permits in order to pay for the permit system.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I hear you also, but my mindset is that the courts have been increasingly pro-2nd Amendment in recent years. I choose to remain confident and optimistic. The snowball is slowly becoming an avalanche, and its path is in our favor. Stay strong.

Keep in mind that in "court years", the 2nd Amendment is a relatively new fight. Prior to the 1960's, there were very few gun-related SCOTUS cases. The 2nd Amendment was taken for granted, basically ignored. The Court considers very long-term implications when it makes decisions, while we tend to focus on the near term, our immediate interests. Stand strong, it's working.

Obama taking our country on an extreme turn to the left may end up being the best thing to happen for our firearm rights. We wouldn't have entered this battle if we didn't have to, but now that we did, we're winning. That's a great thing.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
As for today being a dull day as far the weather is concerned , I'm watching various news feeds that are now watching the on going " fight in DC " . Within the opinion in Parker , there are some very interesting quotes concerning DC . I'm believing as are various others that this may cause a stumbling block to any stay sought by DC concerning this new ruling . Will post more info later as this progresses further . This is getting more interesting by the day !

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I hear you brother. I loved how they claim they need the money from the permits in order to pay for the permit system.
ironic isnt it.... simple solution, do away with the illegal system and stop charging illegal fees for it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
ironic isnt it.... simple solution, do away with the illegal system and stop charging illegal fees for it.
Who would have thought that remember celt it's for the children!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
You can rest assured that D.C. is going to import NYC's handgun permitting laws into their own legal code. After all... if it's legal for NYC to have restrictions that have been upheld in court, then D.C can have them too.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lets have an Open Carry rally while it is legal
Those who have restricted NY permits would still be subject to arrest since they aren't licensed to carry in their home jurisdiction (by administrative restrictions).

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Those who have restricted NY permits would still be subject to arrest since they aren't licensed to carry in their home jurisdiction (by administrative restrictions).
That's not true.

First of all, the admin restrictions have no force of law. At all.

Second, even people with "restricted" permits are still allowed to "carry" - while hunting, while going to and from the range, at the range, while hiking/camping/fishing...etc.

Any "carry" permit, restricted or not, is still a carry permit.

Premise permits don't count though...so if you have a premise only permit, you can't carry obviously.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts