New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a New Yorker and have recently made a channel on YouTube dedicated to discussing gun rights from a left wing perspective. That may seem crazy to some of you, but not all people on the left are textbook liberals who hate guns.

Check it out if you want (and subscribe!) Just don't be trolls if you disagree with points made.

Leftists For Gun Rights - YouTube

·
Registered
644 Posts
What's surprising about it? I have a number of views that could be described as "left wing" -- I think gay people should be able to marry, I think the prohibition of marijuana is pointless, I think indefinite detention is wrong, and I do not think the NYPD should be monitoring muslim college students. I do not see any inconsistency in my views, although I certainly understand that other people diagree with them. What I find objectionable is the notion that people have to choose a "set" of views that is categorized as "left" or "right." Why?

Now what I do disagree with is how you are treating the NRA. Pete Shields (former HCI president) wrote over 30 years ago that were it not for the NRA they would have succeeded in banning handguns in the 1970s. You are saying that most of these politicians don't actually support our rights, but they pay attention because the NRA gives out campaign contributions. Right. Correct. You are missing that the NRA's real muscle is 4.3 million members and tens of millions more who consider NRA candidate ratings when voting. And that leads you to conclude that your refusal to support NRA is anything other than a refusal to support gun rights. This is a stand-together-or-die-apart issue. If you have issues with NRA then sign up and get involved and raise your issues. FWIW, NRA's leadership has made it a point to avoid describing the organization or its goals as "conservative" or "Republican." And if you ever live in the south or the west you can meet some elected Democrats who are NRA endorsed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, I also said in the video I didn't like them donating to either party. I really don't like lobbyist groups for any cause. And that our politicians are constantly up for sale by any of them. But that's another whole video. I do understand your point of view though.

P.S. I said "this might be crazy to some of you" because I was being civil, and didn't want any diehard conservatives to go and troll my page.

RBrush, I am definitely seeking some libertarian subscribers. Anyone who wants to sub go right ahead.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
The problem is not lobbyists or lobbying, but voters who continue to support politicians who allow themselves to be corrupted. The NRA is doing what its members expect it to do. The politicians...not so much.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Kinda boring of a video, hope you don't mind me being honest. I thought I was going to be able to get into and understand a bit of the Liberal/letfist way of thinking when it comes to guns. 944, I agree, the NRA is doing what it should be doing, being a loud voice for gun loving Americans. As for both parties, yeah they are corrupt, but as a people we allowed them to be the way they are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The problem is not lobbyists or lobbying, but voters who continue to support politicians who allow themselves to be corrupted. The NRA is doing what its members expect it to do. The politicians...not so much.
Agreed. The NRA is very important and I am an NRA Life Member, however if I currently had money to donate it would go to Gun Owners of America.

GOA link: Gun Owners of America - Gun Owners Of America

·
Registered
522 Posts
i consider myself a conservative liberal... i guess that would be a libertarian in some respects.... pro gay rights, pro 2a, and bill of rights, anti govt, anti racism. been a registered independant since high school...

if pharmaceutical companies can buy politicians to push stuff through then so should the NRA. great example is the gaurdisil fiasco in texas all highschool girls must get the shot that hasnt even passed sufficient testing yet? thats bs.

this is america money talks. and i dont even bother talking to people about politics because they usually just regurgitate something their father/mother/brother etc. said. its like beating your head against a wall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda boring of a video, hope you don't mind me being honest. I thought I was going to be able to get into and understand a bit of the Liberal/letfist way of thinking when it comes to guns.
If you watch my first video on there, it talks about that. The second video is my personal opinion on the NRA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts