New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for pistols for left-handers? Looked at a M&P 40 while in Vermont over the weekend - and I like it's ambidextrous set-up... and the price seemed right. Any other brands/models?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Springfield XD has an ambi mag release and no thumb safety. Works great for me.

Don't be fooled by the gen 4 glock. Although you can switch the mag release to be on the right side of the frame, i'm pretty sure that you have to have the latest gen glock mags with the notch in the front, meaning you can't use preban mags with the mag release on that side. I guess it doesn't matter if you are talking about a 26 or 27 (if they even come in 4th gen models) but a G19 or similar will suck to have and only use 10 round mags because you switched the release.

If it's for carry or gun games where you need to reload fast make sure the mag release is ambi or on the right. I prefer ambi so if i'm shooting with my support hand I have the mag release on that side too. Some people will tell you that you can just use your index finger to work the release but you're breaking your firing grip to do it.

Another option, if you want a gun with a mag release on the right side, is the CnS kit. It's available for the 1911, hipower and glocks. I have it on some of my guns. I don't think I would want it for carry but it works great for the guns I just shoot at the range and defensive pistol. It adds a tab on the right side of the frame. You push down on the tab (toward the butt of the grip, not in like a button) and it pulls the mag release toward your thumb.

GLOCK AMBI MAGAZINE RELEASE

my pics...
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/di...kvibes-1911-project-pics-added.html#post11309
and
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/di...kvibes-1911-project-pics-added.html#post11359

So yeah, a little off track but relevant since I'm a lefty.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Don't be fooled by the gen 4 glock. Although you can switch the mag release to be on the right side of the frame, i'm pretty sure that you have to have the latest gen glock mags with the notch in the front, meaning you can't use preban mags with the mag release on that side. I guess it doesn't matter if you are talking about a 26 or 27 (if they even come in 4th gen models) but a G19 or similar will suck to have and only use 10 round mags because you switched the release.
You are correct, sir!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm also left handed and there are very few lefties out there. I recently looked at both the XD and M&P's that have ambi slide releases. The XD also has an ambi mag release but you can switch the mag release on the M&P to the right side without problems I've been told. Of the two I'm leaning more towards the M&P.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Don't forget, if the mag release is reversible rather than ambi it's going to make manipulation with your support hand tougher in the event that you're strong hand/arm is injured or whatever.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
In 1984 the Randall Firearm Company started producing a left handed 1911 pistol that was a mirror image of a right handed pistol, to the extent that the spent casings extracted out of the left side of the slide.

Randall left handed 1911 image by JoeGuarnera on Photobucket

They are rare and expensive, but they are true left handed pistols.
Awesome idea but how many parts on it are specialized vs. being able to use stock parts from any vendor that sells them for right handed 1911s.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
In my experience anything made truely left handed is rare and EXPENSIVE! LoL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts