New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Have any Experience with The Lee Load-all 2 Loading 12 Gauge Shells? I only need to Reload about 200 Shells a Month. Thanks for Your Input,Russ

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
No experience with the Lee Load all just the Mec 600jr. What are you reloading for trap or skeet or hunting loads. Also do you already have a Lee Loader or are you looking at buying a shotgun press. Kevin

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kevin...I want to reload everything from Skeet & trap Loads Thru Buck & Slugs...I am in the market for a Press...I have 30+ years Reloading Rifle & Pistol,But none in Shotshells...
Thanks,Russ

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't have a Lee, but all I can tell you is that just about EVERYONE who does skeet/trap/sporting clays who reloads uses a Mec. (I have a Mec sizemaster.)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...Looks like MEC is the way to go...The local Walmart is always Out of stock on 12 gauge shells lately,Except for the $20 + Boxes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the info...Looks like MEC is the way to go...The local Walmart is always Out of stock on 12 gauge shells lately,Except for the $20 + Boxes.
Dicks is/was running a sale on some brand (can't remember) for $5.99/box of 25. Reloading won't save a bunch at that price (especially if you figure using a rewards card). (yes, I know, F dicks.) Also, B&J's (Albany) was selling flats for $59.00. (So, you might check around your area for other stores...many places don't keep the flats out front.) 28 guage/410, that's another story...reloading makes MUCH more sense.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dicks is/was running a sale on some brand (can't remember) for $5.99/box of 25. Reloading won't save a bunch at that price (especially if you figure using a rewards card). (yes, I know, F dicks.) Also, B&J's (Albany) was selling flats for $59.00. (So, you might check around your area for other stores...many places don't keep the flats out front.) 28 guage/410, that's another story...reloading makes MUCH more sense.
Thanks,That is a good deal...There is a dicks a hour away i'll check them out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sportsman's Guide has really good prices, if you have someone out of state that they can ship to.
Yeah,I used to buy from there & Midway before the 14th...Maybe Dicks Country Store in Churbusco Will let Me ship it there for a Fee

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I had a used Lee LA II that I used for a quite awhile. Easily reloaded 3000rds with it and I gave to another member that wanted to get into reloading 12ga. I like the Lee. It's easy to use, pretty much idiot proof and it comes with a neat little reloading guide that will get you what you want using various powders and amount of shot safely and easily. Nothing else out there for the money that works as good as it does. Takes alittle getting use to the last stage as to how much pressure to use, but it's seriously not hard at all. I highly recommend them. I now have a MEC 600 Jr and honestly ... It's not much faster than the Lee. Maybe 10 shells more per hour out of the MEC but that's about it. You will have to do the same for either the MEC 600 or the Lee when it comes to slugs or Buck Shot. You'll have to load the shot by hand before going to the initial crimp and a slug will be the same .... manual load then press. It's all explained in the LEE manual. What are they ..... $35 or so brand new?? Like I said I got mine used and I never had an issue with it. Good place to start if you're just getting into reloading shot shells.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I've got the Lee LA2, no complaints. As a rookie reloader it was easy to learn how to use, works well, and can't be beat for the price. Get one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a used Lee LA II that I used for a quite awhile. Easily reloaded 3000rds with it and I gave to another member that wanted to get into reloading 12ga. I like the Lee. It's easy to use, pretty much idiot proof and it comes with a neat little reloading guide that will get you what you want using various powders and amount of shot safely and easily. Nothing else out there for the money that works as good as it does. Takes alittle getting use to the last stage as to how much pressure to use, but it's seriously not hard at all. I highly recommend them. I now have a MEC 600 Jr and honestly ... It's not much faster than the Lee. Maybe 10 shells more per hour out of the MEC but that's about it. You will have to do the same for either the MEC 600 or the Lee when it comes to slugs or Buck Shot. You'll have to load the shot by hand before going to the initial crimp and a slug will be the same .... manual load then press. It's all explained in the LEE manual. What are they ..... $35 or so brand new?? Like I said I got mine used and I never had an issue with it. Good place to start if you're just getting into reloading shot shells.
Thank You for the helpful info...I have always used Lee Products for reloading Pistol & Rifle & Had Great Luck with them.Like You said,Can't beat the Price.I'll give it a whirl for $50.00 to my door.
Russ

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Thank You for the helpful info...I have always used Lee Products for reloading Pistol & Rifle & Had Great Luck with them.Like You said,Can't beat the Price.I'll give it a whirl for $50.00 to my door.
Russ
Russ .. you won't regret it. The booklet that comes with it also breaks things down to different hulls, hull length and DRAM.(some hulls have a paper base wad and some have a plastic one) All you have to do is pick the powder, amount of lead and the correct wad for the hulls you'll be reloading and BAM .... you'll be pumping them out in no time. I took me about 45 minutes of loading to get into a routine. You'll be pleased with it. Good choice!! ;) I've found that the Remington Gun Club hulls reload very nicely and I'm getting about 8-10 reloads out of them before they're done. (sometimes more) I've found that loading the Federals from Walmart aren't too bad either, although you'll only get 2-5 reloads before the crimped area starts to crack. You'll be addicted to it!! I find hulls and reload them because I can. I have more 12ga target loads than I'll probably ever use now!!! Hahahaha (I've settled on 7/8oz to save on lead and I personally think it out performs the 1-1 5/8oz loads when it comes to skeet too.)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I don't have a Lee, but all I can tell you is that just about EVERYONE who does skeet/trap/sporting clays who reloads uses a Mec. (I have a Mec sizemaster.)
I'll second that you should buy a MEC.

Many serious shooters end up with Ponsness Warren or Spolar machines eventually, as you can go so much faster with them (but they are a LOT more money than the MEC).

You should be able to find a MEC for under $100 used.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'll second that you should buy a MEC.

Many serious shooters end up with Ponsness Warren or Spolar machines eventually, as you can go so much faster with them (but they are a LOT more money than the MEC).

You should be able to find a MEC for under $100 used.
Back when I would load shotshells with my father before we would buy Remington gun club for like $10 for 4 boxes or whatever it used to me... We must have loaded and shot... 10-15k shotshells a year on a MEC loader. It worked like a charm. It was a progressive style where you turned the shell to the next position. Can't remember the model number.

It was reliable, and easy to use. Heck I started pulling that great big red handle when I was like 9 years old.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Check Youtube for videos on the Lee.
Looks like it'll be fine for your needs . That plus the positive comments here make me want to get one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Russ .. you won't regret it. The booklet that comes with it also breaks things down to different hulls, hull length and DRAM.(some hulls have a paper base wad and some have a plastic one) All you have to do is pick the powder, amount of lead and the correct wad for the hulls you'll be reloading and BAM .... you'll be pumping them out in no time. I took me about 45 minutes of loading to get into a routine. You'll be pleased with it. Good choice!! ;) I've found that the Remington Gun Club hulls reload very nicely and I'm getting about 8-10 reloads out of them before they're done. (sometimes more) I've found that loading the Federals from Walmart aren't too bad either, although you'll only get 2-5 reloads before the crimped area starts to crack. You'll be addicted to it!! I find hulls and reload them because I can. I have more 12ga target loads than I'll probably ever use now!!! Hahahaha (I've settled on 7/8oz to save on lead and I personally think it out performs the 1-1 5/8oz loads when it comes to skeet too.)
Just Ordered It...I have lot of Those federal dark red hulls from the Walmart ValuePack .I plink a lot,the7/8 oz load sounds interesting

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It was a progressive style where you turned the shell to the next position. Can't remember the model number.
That's a Grabber. The one that auto advances is the 9000. The two totally manual models are the 600jr and Sizemaster. The only difference between those two is that the 600 has a ring resizer, the Sizemaster has a collet resizer.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just Ordered It...I have lot of Those federal dark red hulls from the Walmart ValuePack .I plink a lot,the7/8 oz load sounds interesting
Please do yourself a favor and throw those hulls in the garbage. Stick to the Winchester AA-HS, the Remington STS, and the Remington Gun Club. Most of the rest have too large of an internal case volume and use components that you don't have access to, so they won't really reload properly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts