New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So if you disassemble your pre-bans into a pile of floor plates, springs, followers and casings are you in compliance if law sticks? It would seem to me that you would just be in possession of parts but nothing remotely being able to feed your semi automatic rifle. just looking for alternatives while we wait for the lawsuits to play out.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
There are never guarantees with laws but I would say with near certainty that you would be safe going that route. Technically the same should apply to a "non-compliant" AR. If it's stripped down to parts it's no longer really an AR, just a bunch of parts.

Throw the pre-ban parts in a box and stash them away safely until the UNSAFE Act is struck down by the justice system. Let's hope the wheels of justice pick up some more RPM's and the festering turd we call the UNSAFE Act is finally flushed.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm concerned about the ambiguous phase "readily restored or converted" since I have absolutely no idea what that means...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I'm concerned about the ambiguous phase "readily restored or converted" since I have absolutely no idea what that means...
And that's why there are never any guarantees. It's vague terminology, but I would define "readily" as something that could be done almost instantaneously (within a few seconds). For example, when you run out of ammo while shooting, the mag can "readily" be changed out for a new, fully-loaded one in a matter of seconds. Once your pre-ban mags are in parts, any reasonable human being (Cuomo does not fall into this definition of course) would not consider that to be "readily restored or converted" as it would take several minutes to reassemble and test to ensure it's actually working again.

Here's an example of where you could get in trouble with a pre-ban, hi-cap mag: you drill a hole on each side of the mag and install a rod through the two holes in order to set the base plate up above the rod so that the mag is compliant, holding only 7 rds, for example. However, the rod can be easily pulled out, allowing the base plate to spring back to its original position, mag is back to 15-rd capacity. That is what could be considered "readily convertible". To be in compliance, you'd have to tack weld the rod or epoxy it, so that it would take several minutes of tinkering or tools to convert that mag back to its former hi-cap self.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, appreciate your view but I'm concerned about a DA who might say just insert the follower spring and floor plate and viola its been "readily restored"...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Well, I'm concerned about being struck by lightning but chances are in my favor that it won't ever happen. ;)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offense bro but whether you get struck by lightening or not is no skin off my nose....

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Yeah, appreciate your view but I'm concerned about a DA who might say just insert the follower spring and floor plate and viola its been "readily restored"...
To dot your I's and cross your T's you could just store those parts separately

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
No offense bro but whether you get struck by lightening or not is no skin off my nose....
None taken. You have to draw the line somewhere though. If you spend the time taking apart your mags and store them away in pieces, I personally wouldn't worry about them. It sounds as though it's going to be difficult to convince you otherwise and I respect your choice either way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In all honesty, who is ever gonna know what you have. Take them apart or leave them be and just bury them somewhere in your basement.

Then if the safeact goes bye bye or the more likely scenario of the zombie apocalypse begins you have them.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have read on various forums that they consider the body to the magazine the magazine. I have never actually seen anything official saying this though.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
So, how does anybody know what you have, are you planning on getting in trouble or having our house searched?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
By the time they kick in the front door and search the attic, you've got bigger problems than a box of magazines.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
So, how does anybody know what you have, are you planning on getting in trouble or having our house searched?
How many in Boston did anything to get in trouble to have their houses searched?

·
Registered
543 Posts
How many in Boston did anything to get in trouble to have their houses searched?
Yeah but they were doing quilk throughs looking for a guy, not digging through shoeboxes in the attic.

Box them away and keep your mouth shut about them. You really cant trust anyone.

I've told everyonen I know that I sold my rifles months ago and made a huge profit, because I know that in the end people always turn on you especially when they can get a pay-day from the state.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Geeeez, how much worrying is warranted over the issue. If anyone is THAT worried even after getting solicited advice to the contrary then I would suggest just get rid of them and be done with it.
I am out of NY for about 6 months a year and I own PreBan 16 round Magazines for my Pistol. I can use them when out of State. My plan is to keep them out of site somewhere weird in the house and then take them with me for use while out of State. I had never really thought about disassembly. I may consider taking them apart as another step to retain them but certainly will not go any further than that. Just my .02 cents

1 - 20 of 32 Posts