New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting impatient waiting for parts to come available for my build. I just came across a LAR Grizzly upper receiver assembly for less than $100, new. Problem is, I've never heard of LAR. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this something I should jump on, or wait for something a bit better to come available?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I can tell you that Model 1 Sales was using LAR Grizzly upper receivers for a while. I got a different upper from them but I never came across any internet complaints about them.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick search shows me that they're the "middle man", and do the manufacturing for Freedom group, and others. I'm getting closer to jumping on this.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to order it. I'll follow up with a review of some sort when I get it, and again after the build is complete.

I have to give props to Joeboboutfitters.com. I ordered the receiver and a charging handle, and decided to order a muzzle brake after I had placed the order. I called them up and they were very pleasant to deal with and added the brake with no trouble.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
A friend of mine picked up a LAR-15 a few years ago. We took her out shooting here with it, and she's shot it some since she moved to CT, and I haven't heard that there's anything wrong with it at all since then, so I'd say go for it if it's what you want.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The receiver showed up today. I did a quick test fit of everything I have (barrel, and lower receiver). Things went together fairly well. The barrel was a snug fit, which I'm assuming is actually a good thing. The only problem I've seen so far is that the rear take down pin doesn't fit in. It actually hands up on the lower side of the opening that it's supposed to go through on the upper receiver. I'm assuming it'd be ok to lightly take a file to it to get a nice snug fit?

photo(15).jpg

photo(16).jpg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts