New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Don't see why not it doesn't have a folding stock or a pistol grip (I don't believe that is considered a pistol grip anyway).

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If that is a pistol grip then no. That's 2 evil features. A pistol grip and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Saiga 12s are legal. why wouldn't a bullpup version be legal?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that is a pistol grip then no. That's 2 evil features. A pistol grip and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
It looks like part of an oversized trigger guard to me, is there anything wrong with gripping the gun with an oversized trigger guard?:)

·
Registered
530 Posts
What it looks like and what you are charged with may be 2 different things... If iy has 2 features as stated its a no go fo NY....

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I never understood how grips like that, or thumbhole stocks are NOT pistol grips. (By all means, F the AWB, but come on, you have a clear pistol grip coming coming out of the stock, and if you add a piece of stock below it it's now "not a pistol grip"?)

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I never understood how grips like that, or thumbhole stocks are NOT pistol grips. (By all means, F the AWB, but come on, you have a clear pistol grip coming coming out of the stock, and if you add a piece of stock below it it's now "not a pistol grip"?)
one word: Lawyers

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
FWIW

faq - LEGAL | Kushnapup
NY state Federal Assault Weapons ban without sunset provision penal code 265.00(22) assault weapon classification pertains as: A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least TWO of the following characteristics:
A folding or telescoping stock
A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds
An ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Assault weapons DOES NOT INCLUDE:
A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammo (customized 5 rounds or less detachable mags)
A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine. ("fixed" holding 5 rounds or less)
Interpretation - A "fixed" non detachable 5 round magazine in combination with pistol grip is NY legal. The classification of Kushnapup is neither as pistol grip nor thumb hole stock, in regards though it is a "rifle stock, possibly pistol grip" which minimally is NY legal in combination with "fixed" non detachable 5 round magazine version of RAA Saiga-12.
Thumbhole stock on a Saiga-12 with detachable magazine is also legal in NY.
Kushnapup in replacement being the reversed of this design can still be open to
legal interpretation which is yet inconclusive.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
So the manufactures don't even know. Excellent. :/

·
Registered
380 Posts
I came across a bunch of threads about the ati fiber force during the federal AWB years which the manufacture refers to as a thumbhole stock. It was considered legal back then. Our ban doesn't include thumbholes so it's still good to go now. When we have a law that's all about silly technicalities, why not accept a positive one? That said, I don't think the kushnapup falls into the definition of thumbhole. The grip isn't connected to the stock behind it.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Which side are you on? Don't give 'em any ideas.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Pssst.... hey.... why not just use a 5rd mag or full sized mag perm'd at 5rd?
Then it won't matter if its a pistol grip or not and grownup mags can be stored elsewhere for emergency or should you move someplace where they treat adults as such.

See 'DOES NOT INCLUDE' section above.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'd make that a Sagia rifle setup doesnt have to be a shotgun

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Isn't there differences in the stuff out over the barrel between rifle and shotgun along with subtle receiver differences though?
Might preclude going from one platform to the other.
Or easily doing such anyway.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Pssst.... hey.... why not just use a 5rd mag or full sized mag perm'd at 5rd?
isn't it worded "able to accept detachable magazine" If you went your route the 5 round mag would have to permanently attached to shot gun.

Just having a 5 rounder in it is pointless since you can pop it out and stick in a 10

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Yup, you're right, my bad.

Just flat out detachable makes it wrong regardless of capacity.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Isn't there differences in the stuff out over the barrel between rifle and shotgun along with subtle receiver differences though?
Might preclude going from one platform to the other.
Or easily doing such anyway.
I think it's universal cuz it says this in the ad:

IT ALSO FITS AND FUNCTIONS FOR SAIGA'S 20GA, 410GA, 7.62 AND .223

That would be one sick 7.62 rifle that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts