New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Koi Pond here or know anyone that does? I have not changed my water 100% since I put it in 2 years ago. it is time. Problem is, the only company I know is in Dutchess and they will charge me travel time which will double the price.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve-o over and out.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
You should do partial water changes, but never 100%. I've had my pond for 12 years and have never totally drained it. If the fish are looking o.k. and the water test are within range I wouldn't mess with it. I've noticed that the more I've messed with my pond the worse it got. I try to keep the ratio of fish, plants and filter in balance and let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wait. Those things work? I thought they were just bird feeders for big birds.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pate. I added some bacteria today and it has cleared up a little. Happy to report that I did not lose any Koi this year. I lost 1 last year and one the year prior. (Both in the winter.) I did pull out a huge dead frog today, but that was all. I use Aquascapes. I do need to do some plantings too. Thanks for the advice.

How much water do you change at a time?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I unfortunately don't have any advice to offer, but I just gotta reply. I bought my house ~5 years ago. It has a pond on the property:

The previous owner told me he had some koi that he fed up there, and that they were trained to come to the area where you can see that rock wall. So one day I went to feed them. Everything was as I expected, at first:

However, I almost shat myself when this guy showed up:

There are actually three HUGE koi in that pond - each is about 2.5-3 feet long and as big around as a football - that picture doesn't really give the same impact as seeing them.

I figure there's about 1000 koi in that pond - they are definitely breeding, and the small ones in the second picture are now medium-sized.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sounds like you should start sellin Koi...lol

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW!! That is awesome!! They respond to vibration in the ground and water and can hear you coming. Mine do not eat out of my hand yet, but they come to me when I feed them. Hey...want to unload any? :)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sounds like you should start sellin Koi...lol
I looked into it, but there's just no profit to be had unless you're running a large scale commercial operation. I'd never sell the big ones, though - it's way too fun to see the look on people's faces when they come to the surface. "WHAT THE F*** IS THAT?" hehe

WOW!! That is awesome!! They respond to vibration in the ground and water and can hear you coming. Mine do not eat out of my hand yet, but they come to me when I feed them. Hey...want to unload any? :)
They always know when I show up, that's for sure. If I don't get over to the feeding area right away, one of the big ones will come over to the other side of the pond where I'm playing with the dogs and swim circles where I can see him, as if to say "HEY! FEED ME!"

As for unloading any, I'm more than willing to share the smaller ones if you're in the Binghamton area and want to come grab some.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Bill Murray: "You got a pool over there?" Chevy Chase: "We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks Pate. I added some bacteria today and it has cleared up a little. Happy to report that I did not lose any Koi this year. I lost 1 last year and one the year prior. (Both in the winter.) I did pull out a huge dead frog today, but that was all. I use Aquascapes. I do need to do some plantings too. Thanks for the advice.

How much water do you change at a time?
I try to limit it to 20% at a time. You have to watch the temp changes and chlorine (if you have city water). My plan for the every summer is floating water hyacinth. I buy a bunch and chuck them as they fill the entire top of the pond. They will keep the water clean and clear all summer, plus the KOI chomp on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts