New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have a quality set of chefs knives sharpened and the steel just wont do it anymore.

Any body know where I can go to get them done at a reasonable price? I obviously dont want to put them on a course grinding wheel but I dont want to have to wet stone them by hand either.

There are 5 knives and I am located in Lockport if anyone knows anywhere local?

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And remember, the steel isn't for sharpening, it's for honing/cleaning up the edge.
Thanks for the info re-VRI, I will give them a call.

Normally, all I have ever needed to do was a couple of passes with the steel, then the knives met my wife and began to learn what 'multi-tasking' meant, now there knives, wire cutters, pry bars, garlic crushers and also used for potential husband gelding (I'd prefer to keep them even if its just for ornamental aesthetics).

· Registered
6,189 Posts
Thanks for the info re-VRI, I will give them a call.

Normally, all I have ever needed to do was a couple of passes with the steel, then the knives met my wife and began to learn what 'multi-tasking' meant, now there knives, wire cutters, pry bars, garlic crushers and also used for potential husband gelding (I'd prefer to keep them even if its just for ornamental aesthetics).
My parents have a set of knives like that...broken tips, wavey blades (both form trying to pry frozen hot dogs apart) from my mom getting her hands on them.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
If you're not after perfection but want a damn sharp knife I'd be happy to sharpen them for you on my Tormek. Hollow ground, but I don't claim to be a pro (the curvature at the tip of the knife sometimes takes on more of an edge than the flat part). Happy to do it for free for another NYF member in good standing. I'll even pay the return postage. I can't do serrated (like a bread knife) though. Send me a PM if you're interested.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're not after perfection but want a damn sharp knife I'd be happy to sharpen them for you on my Tormek. Hollow ground, but I don't claim to be a pro (the curvature at the tip of the knife sometimes takes on more of an edge than the flat part). Happy to do it for free for another NYF member in good standing. I'll even pay the return postage. I can't do serrated (like a bread knife) though. Send me a PM if you're interested.
I appreciate the offer but I dont really want to hollow grind them if I can avoid it.
Again, thanks for the offer.

Ted.

· Registered
895 Posts
Try : sharpeningsupplies.com every possible sharpening need you could want, excellent customer service, fast shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.