New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to sharpen a D2 steel knife 1/4" think/3" long, and looking for a professional knife sharpener person to do it for me.
Anyone here or can you guys recommend me someone.!

I'm in Orange Country, NY10992

thanks in advance.

Juanjo

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Not really. One of the site sponsors that used to offer that service went out of business. If there is a local gun or outdoor show you could try that, I know our local gun show has a guy that does it.

Your other option is to get a Lansky or Spyderco Sharpmaker and do it yourself, those systems are foolproof.

·
2,322 Posts
Thats a bit expensive to do exactly what the Spyderco can for $45 or the Lansky for $25-35

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I have an older version of this Tormek that is professional grade. I use it mostly for chisels and plane blades. Knifes are a little tricky due to the curved tip, but it will put a very sharp blade on it. You got to lift the knife handle at the end of the stroke to keep a uniform bevel. I'm in Orange County. You're welcome to come by and try it out if you want, but I'm not taking responsibility for ruining your knife, lol....

I've sharpened knives with it before and it works great. Will cut clean strips off paper with a quick swipe.

This puts a hollow ground on the edge, though...

Tormek T-7 Grinding Machine

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have a lansky but I am definitely eyeing up the work sharp knife and tool sharpener. I like my lansky set but its really not ideal for long knives.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi,

I need to sharpen a D2 steel knife 1/4" think/3" long, and looking for a professional knife sharpener person to do it for me.
Anyone here or can you guys recommend me someone.!

I'm in Orange Country, NY10992

thanks in advance.

Juanjo
Knives of Alaska will do it for $10 a piece, plus $10 shipping for up to 5 knives. Sounds like a lot because it is. I use a lansky type kit and it works awesome.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've had my original Lansky for almost 20 years now but it is getting difficult to find locally. I need some new stones and will have to order online.
Speaking of stones, those of you using the Lansky, do you prefer the standard stones or the diamond stones?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I've had my original Lansky for almost 20 years now but it is getting difficult to find locally. I need some new stones and will have to order online.
Speaking of stones, those of you using the Lansky, do you prefer the standard stones or the diamond stones?
I believe mine has the standard stones, have to look into the diamond ones now come replacement time.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
two questions for the Lansky owners, can you safely put a 1/4" think knife in the there "vise"?
and what's the longest size blade it can sharpen?

thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
two questions for the Lansky owners, can you safely put a 1/4" think knife in the there "vise"?
and what's the longest size blade it can sharpen?

thanks.
You can put 1/4" no problem. I used mine to sharpen a 10" chef knife and it worked great. I have the diamond set and would reccomend it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the inputs,
I endup getting a KME sharpener and I could not be any happier with the desition.
With the corse stone it took some time to re-profile this little D2 steel Knife of Alaska, but the sharpener works great, very well made and total precision.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with it. I've tried everything including a Tormek. I ended up with some DMT diamond plates, a ceramic hone and a stropping block. Nothing works better. I'll use the Lansky stuff if I need a quick edge puff up, but the results are so good with the DMT that I'll take the time.

·
2,322 Posts
That thing looks like a piece of modern art and too expensive for me. At least you'll be classy sharpening your bonsai tree trimming tools.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This may revoke my man card but I bought one at bed, bath,& beyond for $10. I've sharpened everything from a small pocket knife to my dull walmart machete.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts