New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to hit the "checkout" button on one of these knives. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these in person, and what are your thoughts?

SOG Aegis Tanto Knife With Serrated Blade From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools
KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details

I have a couple of Kershaw knives, so I'm familiar with their construction and features. I expect the Blur would be of similar good quality and durable construction as others that I've used. I like the fact that it has an aluminum body that will make for a strong knife, and the tacky inlaid grips on the knife body for extra grip.

I have no experience with SOG knives, but from reviews that I've read they appear to be a quality knife. My number one criteria for a knife is that it's USA made. In the SOG line, the Trident, Flash II, and Aegis fit that bill. I also want a tanto partially serrated blade. Having said that, I'm leaning towards the Aegis because the handle has tacky rubber strips in the body for extra grip. My question about the SOG though is about the body which is made from glass reinforced nylon. I know glass reinforced plastics are strong, but does the plastic body flex at all if applying pressure, or is there an internal metal liner or something to provide additional strength (especially at the blade pivot)?
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Wacky,

I have been hands on and owned, at one time, both of these folders. They are both excellent and you can't really go wrong with either. The material the SOG is made of is very solid and that knife feels solid when in your hand, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Just my take,
Chris

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Don't pay $110 for that Kershaw Tanto Blur. I paid $45 for mine; if I can find where I bought it from I'll post it up. Great knife by the way, I carry it all day / every day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't pay $110 for that Kershaw Tanto Blur. I paid $45 for mine; if I can find where I bought it from I'll post it up. Great knife by the way, I carry it all day / every day.
Thanks 944. Yes, I'm all over Amazon, eBay, ect... lol. If you find the store, I would appreciate it. At that price, maybe I'd just buy both!

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I've never owned the SOG but I own several of the Kershaw Blurs. I bought mine, both used, and new and carry one everyday. Wally World had them for $60-something.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Glock, M&P, 1911, Kershaw, SOG, Benchmade, it is all largely personal preference. What is important, especially if there is a chance this folding knife may be used to defend oneself, is that it meets certain criteria to enhance your ability to use it as a force option under duress: http://www.mdtstraining.com/A Students Guide to Tactical Folding Knife Selection.pdf
Chris, Thanks for the link to your TFK document There is some good information included, and you made some excellent points that I haven't considered before!

Jeff

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not sure if you bought one yet but as an owner of the SOG Flash II and then Flash I, I can say you'll be amazed at the strength/weight ratio. I had a Kershaw before but wasn't happy with the fact that the more I flicked it open, the slower the blade deployed until it was no longer assisted. Almost like it overheats.
I vote SOG.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if you bought one yet but as an owner of the SOG Flash II and then Flash I, I can say you'll be amazed at the strength/weight ratio. I had a Kershaw before but wasn't happy with the fact that the more I flicked it open, the slower the blade deployed until it was no longer assisted. Almost like it overheats.
I vote SOG.
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I ordered both the SOG Aegis Tanto as well as the Kershaw Tanto Blur tonight. I think the Aegis is a similar platform with the same assist feature and frame material as the Flash, so I hope it's as good as I've heard.

I have a Buck Rush knife that I carried for several years and the blade slowed down significantly on that as well. I wondered if there was a buildup of dust, pocket lint, or oil residue that was slowing it down. I took the thing apart to clean it and couldn't get it back together again. The coil springs for the action needed to be pre-wound before putting it back together, which I'm guessing are put in with a special fixture/tool of some sort at the factory. Oh well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts