New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at picking up a Ketec PF9 or P11. Anyone have any history with either one. Will be used for Con / carry.
Have heard pros and cons, but looking for live feedback.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i have friends with both. the pf9 beats your hand up and isn't the most accurate thing in the world, but it's definitely slim and concealable. the p11 is a way to see that people too cheap to shell out a little more for a g26 are punished. triggers on both are long and undesirable, fit and finish makes one wonder if quality control even exists at kel tec. you get what you pay for, but i honestly think there are far better options if you look a little deeper. if i had to go with one i'd choose the pf9, but i wouldn't like myself for it. i have a p3at and appreciate it for what it is so don't think i'm just bashing the company. for the size/weight category they're just not as comparable.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought a P11 as my second pistol, and I like it. I wanted something I could carry, but also still shoot regularly at the range. I held the pf9 and p3at, but both were two small for my hands. The p11 was a good fit, and 9mm ammo is cheap which allows me to practice more with it. Tactical Failure is right that the trigger is very long and takes awhile to get used to, but it's manageable enough for me, and I find it to be a fun gun to shoot. There also are some good guides out there to improve the trigger if you are comfortable doing so. If your choosing between a pf9 or a p11, then I'd recommend holding both and going with the one that fits you best. My P11 has the factory belt clip which works well enough for me for concealed carry. I don't carry every day, though, since I work at home. If I were to carry every day, I probably would consider a pf9 since it's a bit thinner, and I'd get good IWB holster. Mine also came with the Hogue mini slide on grip, and I would strongly recommend that on either gun for a few bucks.

I have no complaints with mine it was $237 used after tax with $40 of accessories. I've put about 150 rounds through it so far with no failures of any kind. A glock 26 is quite a bit more expensive from what I've seen, about double. But as many here have said before if your going to have an every day carry gun you will bet your life on, the extra price can be worth it for top quality. For my needs the p11 works just fine, and I have no problem trusing my life to it, it does what it's supposed to do just fine.

Finally I'll say if you do by Keltec be aware their lifetime warrenty program changed and it's only on NEW guns now. While I got a few bucks off and some nice accessories, I probably would have spent about $30 more and gotten it new, had I realized that when I bought the gun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I had originally wanted to pik up a Ruger SR9C, similar in size to the P11. I had just come accross the Pf9 & P11 used at a range near me. Price was right but was not familiar with either gun. The P11 did fit my hand perfectly where the Pf9 did feel a little small.
Its a good point you made about the warrenty program though.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My uncle has a p11 that I've shot on quite a few occasions. We were shooting +p ammo once which I don't think it really liked because there were 2 stove pipes out of the 50 rounds. But no problems with traditional rounds. There was also quite a bit of noticeable recoil vs a full size. It's not a bad gun just takes some getting used to and the right ammo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a PF-9 as my first pistol about 3 months ago - $309 new.

The gun has a checkered history, so I was a bit apprehensive. On the first outing, the gun ate 50 federals flawlessly. I switched to sellier and bellot and the problems began. FTF, FTE, double feed - everything. Then a severe jam (about round 90). The slide wouldn't retract back more than a half inch. I had to bring it to the gun store and they wrestled with it to un-jam the thing. Not cool.

On the second outing, it went much smoother. I put 100 federal champs through it with 3 FTE. It's still in it's break in phase so I'll accept that. I was able to get pretty good groupings even though this was the first gun I really ever fired. My hand hurt on the first outing for days, but for some reason the second time there was no soreness at all. My hand is a bit on the small and slender side so I'm able to get a good purchase with all three fingers on it (with the pinky extender). But none of my friends could hold it that way, and the slide took a bit out my friends hand once.

So far, I'm really happy with the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First pistol I bought was a PF9. Bought it because it was very small, easy to conceal and had heard good things about it. I knew others who owned the .380 version. Got it for about $350 when it first came out. Got some Winchester whitebox, Federal and some of the Hornady Critical Defense that I was going to carry with.

Fit and finish was not very good, but hey it was a cheap gun. Slide was loose, could easily wiggle it. Definitely not a gun for extended range use without a shooting glove. it will take you to the bone after a while. Then it started. I got through one magazine cleanly and I started getting FTE, FTF, and double feeds. New gun, needs breaking in. I put almost 750 rounds through it and maybe made it through two magazines cleanly once.

Called Kel-Tec and they told me I was limp wristing it. OK, I'm new to hand guns so that might be. Had three other people that have been shooting their whole lives try it and the same FTF and FTE issues. One guy told me that if I was relying on it to save my life I was better off carrying a butter knife.

Called Kel-Tec back and they said it was the ammo. I had tried several different brands (all non +p) all with the same result. Called back and they told me the feed ramp needs to be polished to stop the issues. It's called the Kel Tec fluff and buff . I had since bought a holster and laser light along with an extra mag. Sold everything for $350 and walked away. I had lost confidence in the gun as a daily concealed carry for protection.

Now, take into account that this was back when it first went on sale. If you are looking at one that is brand new, I've heard that many of the issues the early models had have been addressed.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I was offered an awesome deal on a P11 that was brand new & when I saw the price, I figured, here was a cheap truck gun. WRONG! When I took it home & really examined it, I realized two things:

1. The worst trigger pull of any gun I have ever laid hands on (even worse than the DB9 & SCCY I fondled at a local gun store)
2. The finished product was absolute garbage. I can't believe that it made it out of the factory. There was so much flash (excess plastic), that I literally felt embarassed for Kel-tec. I took a razor blade and trimmed all the excess plastic off the gun! I even went as far as calling them and telling them how I trimmed the plastic & how I couldn't believe that this passed through the QC inspection. Kel-Tec did send me a new frame free of charge, but I ended selling the gun before it came.

Honestly, stay away from Kel-Tec. Save up a little more money and buy the new M&P Shield. I have even seen mint condition used Glock G26's for sale for $400.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I checked out a P-11 at the Syracuse Gun Show last weekend. I liked the fit / feel in my hand, but the trigger pull was long and heavy, and the slide was hard to pull back and release. Would like to try firing it some day.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I thought about the PF9 but am now considering the CM9 from Kahr....need to get with my friend of a friend and shoot that thing

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a pf9 for a backup gun for work. It is built cheaply and it is ugly but it is thin and light. When I bought mine, I had failures to eject and failures to extract. I called keltec and they said a batch of guns had extractor spring and extractor issues. (purchased in 2011) The lady sent me repolacement parts for free. I still use it for backup use but I am in the process of researching the Ruger LCR for future backup use. When deploying a backup or any weapon for the matter, I want ultimate reliability.. not saying the revolver is the ultimate but its a step in the right direction, at least I think so. Keep in mind this if for backup use, I already have 15 rounds in my primary weapon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts