New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about grabbing up a Kel-Tec KSG. It looks pretty badass, and from the reviews on YouTube and the like, it appears to be just as solid a buy as any other 12 gauge. Any owners on the forum that can give me first hand experience?

My assumption is that it's NY legal because there is a manual switch between the tubes, is that correct?

(I only mention the badassery, because of the apparent solid construction and performance to back it up. I will never buy a gun based on looks alone)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Everyone seems to agree they are legal, but there's been no pissing abut by Albany yet, so it could just be a short term thing.

Let us know if you find some somewhere as they are seemingly on backorder constantly and as rare as hens teeth to boot.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Goood luck finding one. It will be a long time till they are on the shelves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, they're definitely back ordered. I'm relatively new to shooting for fun, though, so I don't mind waiting 3 or 4 months. Gives me enough time to save up, anyways! The new shop near me said if I could pay half of it up front, he'd order it and I could pay him the rest when it finally comes in. I'm in no hurry haha.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've been waiting months already. Some have come I locally but are still 1300+. MSRP is around 880 if I remember correctly so until there are a handful of them on the shelf priced where they should be I will not go after one. I refuse to overpay for something that I know are going to be half the price in a a year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One of our local FFL's recently got two and they sold within a few hours of his posting on a forum like this.The buyers were lucky, that FFL doesn't buy things at inflated prices and he doesn't price gouge.

I would like to try one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was going to put an order in but have been hearing first run issues and didn't want to be #2000+ on waiting list. I'll wait for the price to stabilize and the kinks worked out. But does look nice.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would love one but they are selling for way over MsRP and thats IF you can find them. There is a bunch on gunbroker for $1500. I would pay the MSRP for one but for how much they sell for, i would get a Saiga12 or a MK1919 and a ton of acessories. Its too bad they are proving so hard to get as it is a fantastic design from what i see but you can get a real nice semi auto 12ga for that price.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Anyone that has one was not supposed to be selling them at first. They were the demo guns for R and D initially. Then had released a few for sale before they realized the issue which wholesalers who got them started to price gouge on. The rail at the bottom was breaking off when a vertical grip was added, so you DON'T want one of those guns anyway. They were redesigning or strengthening areas of the gun and that is part of the delay.

Here is a link to what Kel-tech has to say about it.

Kel Tec CNC

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would love one but they are selling for way over MsRP and thats IF you can find them. There is a bunch on gunbroker for $1500. I would pay the MSRP for one but for how much they sell for, i would get a Saiga12 or a MK1919 and a ton of acessories. Its too bad they are proving so hard to get as it is a fantastic design from what i see but you can get a real nice semi auto 12ga for that price.
They are mostly scams.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not legal though...
Wasn't sure about the legality of it since I don't know much about shotguns. The only one I have is a pump 835 Mossberg for turkey hunting.

My questions is, doesn't the 1216 fall under the "questionable" category like the KSG does?

Technically each cylinder only holds 4 rounds. Then to change to the next tube, you need to engage a lever and turn it. Or is it illegal for some other reason?

Please let me know.....because I have no idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Catfish,
According to this website, srmarms.com , The magazine detaches for reloading.
Detachable mag + pistol grip + semi auto shotgun = NYS ban...

·
Banned
478 Posts
One was sold locally, and within about a week the guy ripped the fore end right off the gun with just some spirited shooting. Last I heard it was back at Kel-Tec being fixed (just like every other Kel-Tec)...

If you want something for home defence, you'd be much better off picking up something with a bit of history of being a reliable firearm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are mostly scams.
If someone would pay $1500 for an $800 item they deserve to be scammed IMO. I dont like seeing people get ripped off but if they are crazy enough to spend that, then so be it.

The crazy prices on these make just buying an 870 and tricking it out much more appealing, you could have $ to spare for a lot of ammo and some beverages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been waiting months already. Some have come I locally but are still 1300+. MSRP is around 880 if I remember correctly so until there are a handful of them on the shelf priced where they should be I will not go after one. I refuse to overpay for something that I know are going to be half the price in a a year.
The guy I went to was gonna sell it to me at MSRP. No problem there!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
One was sold locally, and within about a week the guy ripped the fore end right off the gun with just some spirited shooting. Last I heard it was back at Kel-Tec being fixed (just like every other Kel-Tec)...

If you want something for home defence, you'd be much better off picking up something with a bit of history of being a reliable firearm.
Agreed.

Everything I've seen is that they are garbage. I handled one at Beikirch's, but otherwise haven't fired. However, all the reviews seemed to imply they are not a reliable firearm.

For a toy/project, sure go for it. But this isn't the gun I'd be keeping next to my bed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have one which I got after a short wait and for around $800. It is my first shotgun so don't have anything to compare it to, but it has given me no problems and it is fun. The only thing I can say is that if you add a foregrip; make sure you get one that engages multiple slots on the rail. The push/pull action can break the plastic picatinny rail if you only have 1 point of engagement. I got mine at Beikirchs, they have always been good to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts