New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Can't help it... always worth sharing this video when the "to chamber or not to chamber" topic comes up:

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I use an unloaded chamber in some guns sometimes. They hold my papers down so a stiff breeze doesn't blow them off the table.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Never hurts to have a visual reminder once in a while. Round in the pipe, external safety off at all times.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Every time this comes up, it boggles my mind that this is even a discussion.
But, but, but..... if there's a round in the chamber, it might just go off..........

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I agree to keep a round in the chamber but that guy was stabbed no matter what he was carrying whether it was chambered or not .

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
love this, jeff cooper...

"In defense we do not initiate violence. We must grant our attacker the vast advantage of striking the first blow, or at least attempting to do so. But thereafter we may return the attention with what should optimally be overwhelming violence. "The best defense is a good offense." This is true, and while we cannot apply it strictly to personal defensive conduct, we can propose a corollary: "The best personal defense is an explosive counterattack.""

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:My BIL carries unchambered ALL of the time. I have shared my insight as well as videos to prove that I am correct and he is not. I have taught him, or attempted to, all that I can. He refuses to listen to reason. I have even tried to shame him into changing his ways.

He is convinced that he can chamber a round in time to defend himself. :bang:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Simply no point of carrying if you don't have one in the pipe, just remember finger off the trigger til you are ready to eliminate your intended target !

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Even if not a time thing, you need to be able to fire one handed. The other hand may be holding someone off, or it might be unable to move for some reason.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:My BIL carries unchambered ALL of the time. I have shared my insight as well as videos to prove that I am correct and he is not. I have taught him, or attempted to, all that I can. He refuses to listen to reason. I have even tried to shame him into changing his ways.

He is convinced that he can chamber a round in time to defend himself. :bang:
Sucks to be him then.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Even if not a time thing, you need to be able to fire one handed. The other hand may be holding someone off, or it might be unable to move for some reason.
Precisely this as well ^^^ And yet ANOTHER reason to make sure that external safeties (if equipped) are off.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Precisely this as well ^^^ And yet ANOTHER reason to make sure that external safeties (if equipped) are off.
Well, that depends on the firearm. I carry guns with no safety, but 1911s are supposed to be carried cocked and locked.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Question for those who carry hammer fired pistols, and I think applies to this conversation... When carrying with a loaded chamber and manual safety off, do you use a holster that has a strap covering the firing pin area so if there is an "accidental firing" the hammer won't hit the pin? I just got my first 1911 and curious about the style holster I should get since some are saying to carry cocked but no safety on. I assumed I would carry cocked and locked, but now I'm considering this alternative as well. Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Question for those who carry hammer fired pistols, and I think applies to this conversation... When carrying with a loaded chamber and manual safety off, do you use a holster that has a strap covering the firing pin area so if there is an "accidental firing" the hammer won't hit the pin? I just got my first 1911 and curious about the style holster I should get since some are saying to carry cocked but no safety on. I assumed I would carry cocked and locked, but now I'm considering this alternative as well. Thanks
MikeG, Regardless of the holster design, I would always have the thumb safety on over a loaded chamber.
Pedro.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts