New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, my son picked the following winners-

Lot #1 (everything pictured) - Ragnar Danneskjold.

Lot #2 (one bottle of each of the three different flavors) - Groovy Mike.

If you could both PM me some shipping/postage details I will get it out to you ASAP.

Thanks to 'HUNTERS science' for donating the Light Sticks, Deodorant and 2 bottles of the Gum-O-Flage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, so I was in the woods during bow season 8yrs ago, I was absentmindedly daydreaming of that 'monster' buck when I caught a whiff of something in the air, it was a cross between the smell of rotting animal flesh and the south end of a north bound skunk. I looked around to try and find the origin of this stench, to no avail.

I returned home that day and mentioned my encounter to 'she who must be obeyed', she laughed and said "Did it smell like someone had given a love bight to a turd"? I said it was something similar and she suggested I check MY breath.
Now, I don't have great dental hygiene but I was not convinced it was me, but figured I couldn't rule it out.
After that I searched for any form of Hunter approved breath mint or gum (yes, I know, I was a marketers dream subject).

I eventually found a product called 'Gum-O-Flage'. It was said to "Eliminate breath and body scent".

From that day on, every hunting season I buy the stuff. I cant tell you that it works but I have encountered deer every year that I have used it. It also helps to stop me caughing and keeps me a little more alert as one of the flavors contains caffeine.

I tried to buy some this year and no one stocked it locally so I contacted the makers (HUNTING science) and spoke to the owner about not being able to find the stuff.
He gave me a deal on buying a 10 pack of the small bottles, I told him I was going to give some of it away on my 'local gun forum' and he gave me an extra couple of things to add to the giveaway.

So here is what is being given away in my (and the company owners) Karma give away.

Lot #1 - (everything pictured)
3 bottles of 'Gum-O-Flage' (1 Original, 1 Alfalfa Honey, 1 ALERT/Apple), 1 pack of 'Night-Tracker' glowsticks, one crystallized salt 'Deer-Odorant' body deodorant stick, 1 x 7 pack of Toe Warmers, 1 x 6 pack of Hand Warmers.

Lot #2 -
3 bottles of 'Gum-O-Flage' (1 Original, 1 Alfalfa Honey, 1 ALERT/Apple).

Rules -

1 - Must be a members with at least 50 posts.
2 - Post telling us about an item you always carry into the woods but will probably never use (for me its a Buck tag).
3 - Post telling us about the best hunting item you have ever invested in (for me it was buying muzzleloader, I have never used a shotgun since).
4 - You can post as often as you want but you will only be entered once.
5 - Winners will be picked at random on Tuesday the 16th at 8pm.

Attachments

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Hightop waterproof boots. the few times i wore regular boots/shoes ended up shin deep in muck.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
In addition to my gutting knife, I carry a neck knife in case I ever get tangled up in my safety line if I fall off the tree stand or it breaks away from underneath me. I've heard of hunters being strangled to death by the ropes that were meant to save their lives from falling. Hope I never have to use it for said purposed.

Best hunting item ever invested in? Probably a modification to my bow that allows me to shoot twisted fletchings, creating a "rifling" effect on the arrow when shot.

On a side note, I always eat an apple before I go out hunting. It gives you a nice snack and masks your breath as well. I like the idea of Gum-O-Flage though, sounds interesting. Does it taste what it smells like?

Thanks!

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catfish787.

On a side note, I always eat an apple before I go out hunting. It gives you a nice snack and masks your breath as well. I like the idea of Gum-O-Flage though, sounds interesting. Does it taste what it smells like?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, 'Juicy Fruit' it is not!
Do I use it anytime other than hunting........... Ah, nooo!
The taste is actually not bad but each person has a different impression on what they 'expect' it to taste like. It does not always meet up with that expectation.
I am not usually a gum chew'er so I have no problem at all with the taste (but then again, I'm Australian and love 'Vegemite').

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm new to hunting this year and have only been able to get out once. But I will go abead and say that warm socks have been the best purchase for me.

· Registered
813 Posts
I, found having a GPS is the best item I have invested in. But can't ever forget my wool blend socks to keep the feet happy!!

· Registered
1,603 Posts
For some reason I always have one of those giant rubber bands in my bag, I have no idea what my original intent was but every time I clean my bag out I see it and put it back in.

Best item has to be my father friends old bow, I bought it off him for I think $100 about 10 years back and this year I finally bow hunted (and got my first deer on 10-11-12).

· Registered
1,758 Posts
First thanks for the giveaway! An item you always carry into the woods but will probably never useis the emergency "thermal" blanket that looks like tinfoil. I don't everplan to have to spend the night in the woods, but just in case.....The best hunting item you have ever invested in is a al ittle harder. There are things I use every year but keeping with the theme of staying warm - it was a big jump for me to go from $30-$50 boots to $100+ boots, but it is WORTH it. I still wear the Walmart special sin the early season but when hunting is serious and the weather is cold you need to stay warm and dry!

· Registered
4,955 Posts
I carry a Buck knife in the woods but still have yet to use it to field dress a deer. For me, the best item I have invested in is a portable "hot seat" so I can sit my ass on a log and fall asleep on those majority of days where I see nothing in the woods but squirrels. LOL. If I manage to bag a deer this season with the new Savage .308 rifle or the Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull, I'll probably change my mind on which item is truly best.

:face palm:

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First thanks for teh giveaway!An item you always carry into the woods but will probably never useis the emergency "thermal" blanket that looks like tinfoil. I don't everplan to have to spend the night in the woods, but just in case.....The best hunting item you have ever invested in is a al ittle harder. There are things I use every year but keeping with the theme of staying warm - it was a big jump for me to go from $30-$50 boots to $100+ boots, but it is WORTH it. I still wear the Walmart special sin the early season but when hunting is serious and the weather is cold you need to stay warm and dry!
I have to admit, I almost picked the purchase of high end winter boots as the best investment. I can think of a couple of occasions, in the past 3 years, where if it wasnt for the high end winter boots with 1200 thinsulate AND the adhesive foot warmer pads I would not have had the chance to use my trusted muzzleloader.

· Registered
7,703 Posts
I carry more ammo than I need, one in the pipe usually does it. The only thing I won't leave home without is my grunt call, get one and these sad stories of never filling a tag will have a happier ending;)

· Registered
357 Posts
2 - Post telling us about an item you always carry into the woods but will probably never use (for me its a Buck tag).

I have yet to ever need my cell, and hope it stays that way; I guess it could double as camera, but I like to carry something decent.

3 - Post telling us about the best hunting item you have ever invested in (for me it was buying muzzleloader, I have never used a shotgun since).

This is a tough one....After a few years of this, most of what I carry is decent kit. I guess a good lightweight rifle with some good optics (I like to walk, not sit so much). Traded a bunch of mediocre stuff for one good rifle that has travelled more than a few miles in hand.

· Registered
983 Posts
I always have a lighter but never needed to use it.

I did carry one thing last year that I might be the best thing ever....my kindle. Gave me something to do to keep my mind off the fact that I was freezin my arse off and all I saw all season was a fat housecat.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK everyone, this will be drawn tonight, by my 4yr old, literally picking the two numbers out of a hat (any issues with who wins will need to be taken up with him, lol).

· I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
An item I always carry but haven't used (for the most part) is my video camera. I bought a tree mount for it in hopes of filming a hunt, but it's been years now and I always get too excited to worry about the camera.

When my wife and I were sitting in front of our insurance agent for a life insurance consultation a couple weeks ago he asked us what our most valuable asset was. My wife didn't know, but I answered, "I am." That happened to be the answer he was looking for, because us and our ability to produce is more important than any one asset. So my answer relative to what the best item I've invested in is - I am.

Great gear certainly helps us capitalize on opportunities that we put ourselves in, but as hunters we need to invest some time in ourselves to make sure:

1. We respect the animals we hunt (this will hold us to a higher standard in the woods when it comes to what shots we take, how thorough we are in tracking wounded game, etc).
2. We learn about the game we are pursuing. Their habitat, their habits, their patterns, breeding seasons, etc.
3. We practice and become proficient with our guns/bows/crossbows so we can make clean, ethical kills.

If our head is in the game, we understand the game we're hunting, and we practice with our equipment, we could go into the woods in a loincloth with a longbow and wooden arrows and kill deer every time. I just worry that all the tech and gear has taken a little bit of that away.

· Registered
687 Posts
I carry my rattling bag with me but never seem to use it. It does fit nicely in the pack pack side pocket though..lol

The best investment is my hydration bladder. I love it. No crinkling plastic bottles ot half full shloshing.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carry my rattling bag with me but never seem to use it. It does fit nicely in the pack pack side pocket though..lol

The best investment is my hydration bladder. I love it. No crinkling plastic bottles ot half full shloshing.
Oooooh! We must have the same backpack, rattle bag fits perfectly, and is that Hydration bladder one you FILL or EMPTY while in the woods, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.