Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here goes.

Read a really sad story today about Army Staff Sgt. Travis Mills, 3rd tour Army combat vet who lost both arms and both legs to an IED in Afghanistan last week while serving his country. 25 years young, wife and young daughter waiting for him to return home back to the states. Remarkably, he survived and is in good spirits. God Bless. Read about it here: Quadruple amputee undergoes surgery after Afghanistan blast | Fox News

I signed up for a MDTS class a few weeks ago but realized I wasn't able to make it that weekend due to other commitments. So, not ONE, but TWO (thanks to the generosity of Chris Fry) $185 gift certificate is up for grabs in this Karma.

Here's the deal, open to all members with at least 50 posts on NYF before today, 4/16/2012. Need to donate whatever you can afford, but a minimum of $10 to TravisMills.org to help this young soldier and his family in his recovery. You're on the honor system and I am not making a dime off of this. I will also personally match each entry with a $5 donation up to $250. Winners to be drawn randomly and posted after noon on Cinco Del Mayo, 5/5/2012.

Good luck and please contribute whatever you can to a good cause.

Many thanks to Chris Fry his most generous contribution to this effort. Be sure to check Chris' company and schedule out at SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING. I've taken a couple of classes with Chris in the past and he is awesome! Well worth the trip to spend a day with him and his team.

Chris G.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sad story. Thanks for doing something to help this family out. I will be donating. I see I have to mail it so I'll edit my post once I do.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I was just checking out the site as well. Its very sad and I can't even imagine having to go through something like that. Thanks for posting this and I will be donating as well.

Edit: Mine is ready to go and going in the mail on way to work tonight.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
God bless you guys for doing this and bringing this up here. I will post back after mailing the donation.
He lost all his limbs but an entire country is behind him now.

Fvking IEDs!!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Definitely a good cause, my check is now in the mail. Don't add me to karma list, I can't make any of his events.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I was mediating about this situation and it occurred to me that with the medical advances these days they should look for potential donors between the taliban / al-aeda prisoners there and the Guantanamo ones here and if they found a donor match just fvcking take whatever they needed for the soldier and the rest throw it into the ocean for the sharks to feast.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously, two $185 gift certificates, 118 hits and only 5 takers because I requested you to pony up $10 for a vet that just gave up four limbs for his country. Wow...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Actually only 4 takers because Degenerat doesnt even want to be entered into the Karma drawing and he still donated.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i will be donating also. what a awesome thing your doing man also please do not put me in the karma drawing. i will not be able to go to any events either. just donating to a great cause

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will be donating also. what a awesome thing your doing man also please do not put me in the karma drawing. i will not be able to go to any events either. just donating to a great cause
Thanks, bro. That's really what this is all about.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for the awesome karma, though I will have to pass on that a 20 dollar check is in my box to go in the morning. My thoughts are with the family. He sacrificed so much for his country I hope he can still enjoy life knowing what he gave up for the rest of us.
Thanks for sharing, I wish I could do a lot more for all the men and women who give so much for our freedom. When ever I see someone in uniform I make an effort to thank them. It doesn't seem like much to put a smile on there face and make there day. My daughter always asks me why do you do that dad. I usually just give her a good point or 2 and say you will understand sooner or later.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I was mediating about this situation and it occurred to me that with the medical advances these days they should look for potential donors between the taliban / al-aeda prisoners there and the Guantanamo ones here and if they found a donor match just fvcking take whatever they needed for the soldier and the rest throw it into the ocean for the sharks to feast.
I would rather not have a limb than have a piece of one of those permanently attached to my body. I'm not against throwing them to the sharks though.

Check Sent.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I will be putting a check in the mail as well. I am humbled by the sacrifices of our soldiers! No karma for me, Thanks.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I know I said after noon, but since nobody has responded for 2 weeks, i figured it was safe to draw after midnight.

I've decided to change it up a little bit. Everyone who donated (10, thank you very much) was entered whether you asked to be excluded or not. Being it might be hard for some of you to make a class with Chris Fry, I've decided to offer an alternative prize. You can pick either a free class with MDTS ($185 value) or a $100 gift card (Visa/MC, etc.) to use as you like. If you asked to be excluded, feel free to waive your spot to the next in line. Two winners will be selected as follows:

The winners of your drawing are…
1stJeff (1st winner)
2nd944turbo (2nd winner)
3rd USMCveteran (1st Alternate)
4thMike (2nd Alternate)
5thllink78 (3rd Alternate)

There were 10 entrants. You can check that you were entered with your username here:

RANDOM.ORG - Details for Drawing #10,080 - NY Firearms Cinco Del Mayo Karma for Good Cause

PMs will be sent to winners and alternates. Please let me know if you want the class with Chris Fry, the $100 gift card or waive to next person. I will also be sending a check for $50 to the soldier. Thanks for participating.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.