New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Just starting the pistol permit process in Westchester, and thought I'd post my experiences so far. I've completed the safety class and should have all my references in the next couple weeks. I know to expect a fairly drawn out process, and have narrowed down my pistol choices, but have not bought one just yet. I called at the beginning of May for my appointment date and received a date for the end of June 2017... It seems that most people on the forums here say to call every week or two for cancellations. So I called mid-May, and last week for any cancellations, and was told when I called last week to check back every 4-6 weeks for cancellations. Maybe they are starting to get backed up again... Anyway, I'll update my posts as I go along!

·
Registered
420 Posts
DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! Call every week on Monday. They told me to call a month later one time, I called the following monday and got bumped up 6 months. The PLU only creates the illusion that they are backed up. The day I went it was me and one other guy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! Call every week on Monday. They told me to call a month later one time, I called the following monday and got bumped up 6 months. The PLU only creates the illusion that they are backed up. The day I went it was me and one other guy.
Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Call every day....I did this last year westchester...be polite, but call every day. Cancellations happen at any hour, every day.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
It's absolutely Criminal how they deny our rights in this state and especially in Westchester County. I would be calling them every Monday and Friday for cancellations, anyone who says they put you on the bottom of the pile is wrong, just keep calling and push for your date.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome Jonner!

First off, let me agree with everyone else: Call back constantly. My first call was November of 2015, and I was given March of 2017 as my date. I called back constantly, and eventually got March of 2015, so I submitted my packet 4 months after the initial call, as opposed to 15.

Second, don't give up. It's such a pain, and it's horrible waiting. I'm about to cross 3 months, and last I heard (Last week? 2? I forget) it hadn't even hit the clerk's desk yet. It goes Permit department > Clerk > Judge > Clerk > Me/You. I'm a very polite person, not at all the kind to get mad at the messenger, but when she asked how long I'd been waiting and I said 3 months, I got a bit of an attitude with "You know this takes months, don't you?". I had to bite my tongue and ask her why like half the country takes a few weeks, but Westchester alone takes months or years.

Third, if you have any questions, hit me up. I went through all this recently, so it's still fresh in my head. And keep an eye out for my thread saying I got my permit! I know someone who got their permit within a month of submitting their paperwork, so don't lose hope (But also don't expect it to only take a month. I'm only saying it's not always 6 months)

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! Updating my post as I have just completed the process! I called early May 2016 and received a June 2017 appointment date. Kept calling for cancellations every week or two and in Mid-September I got my appointment bumped to mid-October. Finally received my letter to pick up my permit, dated 12/2/16, and just went to pick it up today, and just freed my pistol from captivity! About 7 months total wait from calling for appointment; Just a little over 2 months from appointment to approval!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's absolutely Criminal how they deny our rights in this state and especially in Westchester County. I would be calling them every Monday and Friday for cancellations, anyone who says they put you on the bottom of the pile is wrong, just keep calling and push for your date.

And just think, theCelt....I made concrete suggestions to them on how to streamline the licensing process to make it user friendly.....OH well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts