New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so after putting a couple 2-300 rnds through the saiga .223 again. I'm looking for a new rifle lol.

I was originally planning on a Saiga .308 and setting it up as a saigunov...

now i am thinking i may want a bolt action instead....

looking at a .223 or a 30-06.... and now as i type this i realize i would probably be better off with a .22 cheaper to shoot. and i should still be able to hit 150yrds...

what do you think? a properly setup .22 should reach out to 150-200 right? or should i just .223 as its cheaper than 30-06

EDIT--- looking to get trigger time and work on marksmanship.. try to get best moa possible... all on a budget :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
i would say go with the .22 i have shot them out to around 100 yards and they still shoot great. start with a plain 10/22 and build it yourself with a good heavy bull barrel, a nice stock, and some good optics and you will be able to do some real good shooting with it.

as an alterative to you might not have thought of is the .17hmr. i have shot one before but i have heard the ballistics for the 17 is a little better than the 22, shoots further and flatter but i have not looked into it. i do know the rounds are a little more than .22's but just something else to think about also.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You can engage a steel at 400 if you want. It does't do much of plink but with a thin plate you can hear the report.
I never shot much 22LR until I bought one of those Savage 22 Mark II from one of those Dicks specials they had one day I was picking up some shotgun ammo. I think it was $250, Bull barrel, fluted, accutrigger with a scope. so-so stock but it works. That thing shoots below MOA and I shoot at 200 yards all the time. You can also shoot it at 300 yards but you need a better scope with enough adjustment. That actually simulates ball loads at 350 and 700-750 respectively but obviously if it is too windy those little bullets will be blown as they are light and cross break speed but they will be accurate enough to play with the targets. ... Bottom-line, it is a fun, inexpensive to do long range simulation and work out your drop and other variables w/o breaking the bank. I have my son doing this and he is having a lot of fun too.
Value packs are not that great but some other bulk from elley and CCI is actually pretty consistent with the occasional puffin.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like im on the right track with the .22

I had started looking at r700 .223's and realised i was only looking at maybe 1in to 2in better accuracy.

now a 10/22 or the savage.. Saw one at dicks last weekend... 10/22 has more aftermarket but the savage does as well for just a bit more

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you are still interested in a Saiga .308 I have one already converted to a Saiganov that I've been thinking about getting rid of. I realize I might not be helping your thought process on budgeting though! But if you are looking to get rid of the Saiga .223 I might be open to a partial trade.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol..... nope.. that doesnt help the budget all lol... but i will keep it in mind... :}

would u reccommend the saiga? hitting 1in groups at 100yrds? pics? allways love pics :)

def wont b gettin rid of .223 sorry :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
For accuracy I shoot a savage mk II .22lr 50 yards, sometimes 100. My wife shoots a custom 10/22 I built her. I shoot a remington 700 sps tactical in .223 and recently got into hand loading. I couldn't be happier with all 3

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided on going .22lr....

what is necessary to use the 20rnd mags in a ruger 10/22 that is new? moving out of state?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm im thinking a savage mark II TR and then a regular ol 10/22 with a couple large mags.

only take those 2 to the range.. let me go alot more :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Guess I'll be the only one here who says "meh" to the .22lr.

I'd personally choose the .223 from what you listed--tons of available ammo in all different flavors and a little bit more "punch" if you decide to hunt bigger game. I own a Marlin XL7 in .270win and loooooove it; contemplated picking up a Remington 700 in .223 for a smaller, bolt-action rifle.

Personally, I think you'll regret the .22lr--but it's your call, bud!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess I'll be the only one here who says "meh" to the .22lr.

I'd personally choose the .223 from what you listed--tons of available ammo in all different flavors and a little bit more "punch" if you decide to hunt bigger game. I own a Marlin XL7 in .270win and loooooove it; contemplated picking up a Remington 700 in .223 for a smaller, bolt-action rifle.

Personally, I think you'll regret the .22lr--but it's your call, bud!
well the reason for .22lr is simply price... $40 for 100 remanufactured .223 is a bit expensive... Ive been shooting at least once a week. averaging almost a whole box of 100 rounds....

thats a bit pricy for my budding family... the .22lr will be a hell of alot cheaper. and allow me to shoot more often :)

once i get reloading gear... I will probably end up with a .223 bolt action but untill then my Saigunov will have to do. :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If its only going to the range, get a bolt-action .22LR. I have a Savage MkII I love. If I was starting over I'd get one with a heavy barrel, maybe stainless/fluted if I could, but just for looks mostly. Mine is a fairly low-end one.

Can't say enough about the AccuTrigger. 100 yards with my 4x scope is easy. I shot mine at 150 yards last time I was out, they were all on the 8x8" target, most of them within a 5" or so group. This is with Federal Champion bulk pack ammo. Now that I have a spotting scope I am going to attempt 200 yards, but there is a lot of fun and practice to be had at 100-150 yards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts