New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll, I finally got everything set up and put 50 rounds through my new press. I'm new to reloading and picked up a Dillon square deal. It was very easy to get going with it! The factory settings were right on and pretty much all I had to do was verify and adjust the powder measure. The only issue I had was a couple primers didn't seat all the way. Probably because I didn't push hard enough and didn't want to push too hard ...

I'm loving another part of our sport now...

TK

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
What caliber are you reloading?

I notice different head stamps the primers will go right in while others I really have to crank down on. I'm sure if you reamed them all it would uniform them a little bit, but who has the time? lol Congrats!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't ream the primer pockets. I have to pick up a reamer a BPS or something. I'm going to hold off on doing any more until I test fire these. I went with a powder load that was on the lower side.

It's 9mm. I'm using Power Pistol @ 5.2gr, CCI primers, 115gr coper plated round nose from RMR with a COL @ 1.150~

Does this his sound about right?

TK

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
thats awesome, I cant wait to start reloading myself... Since the law is going to cripple the amount of shooting I can do, I can at least enjoy this aspect of it as well.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Reloading is addicting when done correctly. The most fun you'll ever have getting frustrated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the initial fee for all the reloading equipment (which will last a lifetime), it makes shooting much more affordable.. It's also enjoyable to to do. At least for me..

TK

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm just getting into 9mm myself. But i set my bullet seating die up last night for the same OAL so I think you'll be good with that. Definitely the thing to do is load up a batch of 5-10 and function test then fire before making a whole batch.

I only load my pistols with a max of .1-.2 over minimum. I don't ever come close to max load. For plinking and basic target shooting it should be more than enough.

I pretty exclusively use bullseye in my pistols. I do Like Win 231 when I can get it, seems a bit cleaner. I also have a pound of clays to try out in my .45

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice work! Stock up on components!

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I have to acquire some powder, primes, and bullets myself. I want to buy powder locally to save on the fee for shipping though.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I have to acquire some powder, primes, and bullets myself. I want to buy powder locally to save on the fee for shipping though.
You pay haz mat on primers too.. Buy a bunch at a time to make that haz mat fee worth your while.

If you don't need that much, get a friend to go halves, then you only pay half the haz mat fee, get what you need and still save by buying bulk.

I'm always interested in a group buy and I'm not that far from you Celt, so if you come across a good deal on bulk primers/powder hit me up and I might be interested in cost sharing lol

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like RMR for the projectiles.. Got a couple thousand for 9mm and a thousand for .45. Primers and powder I picked up locally.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Never tried RMR. I used to save money by using lead cast bullets for plinking in my .40 and .45, but now I can get the same quantity of Preferred Plated from Berrys for the same price if not less. Doesn't make any sense to shoot cast if your not saving any money (unless of course you have range restrictions)

I like the Hornady bullets for my .223 thatt you can get from Natchez in the bag (though their shipping is a little outrageous unless you buy a lot) and for pistol lately I only buy from Berrys MFG. Nice bullet and a great price IMO.

My advice, shoot what works lol

Here are some links

Home
Rim Rock Bullets | Cast Lead Bullets ~ Right on target!
Berry's Manufacturing
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=HO2267BAG&src=tpSlrHm

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
We'll, I finally got everything set up and put 50 rounds through my new press. I'm new to reloading and picked up a Dillon square deal. It was very easy to get going with it! The factory settings were right on and pretty much all I had to do was verify and adjust the powder measure. The only issue I had was a couple primers didn't seat all the way.
Congratulations, it does feel good doesn't it? Firing those first few rounds can be a bit nerve racking though.

I would recommend that you do not fire those rounds with high seated primers - you increase the risk of an out of battery ignition. Pull the bullets and seat the primers fully or just toss the rounds and chalk it up to experience.

If you are using mixed headstamp 9mm brass that can require a bit of learning as well. I hand prime my 9mm and some cases the primer almost drops in and others it takes considerably more pressure. Not all cases seem to have the same cup depth either, some cases require me to close the handle on the primer tool farther than others.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
A quality primer pocket reamer is worlds above the cheap ones. I loaded one in my prep center. Doing them by hand might be okay for 50 rounds, I usually do 100/batch.

I have the RCBS trim mate carbide. It has bigger recesses to clear the shavings.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
You really shouldn't have to ream primer pockets if you are just making plinking ammo. It's very easy to take too much brass off and make the pocket loose when it didn't even need to be reamed. The only time I do anything like that is when I have brass that has a crimped primer and it has to be swagged. RCBS has a cheap on the press swagger or a bench mounted one.

RCBS AmmoMaster Single Stage Press Primer Pocket Swager Combo
RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2
RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Pocket Swager

The press mounted swaggers can't be run on a progressive or turret press but you can buy a single stage Lee to use for $30
Lee Reloader Single Stage Press

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations, it does feel good doesn't it? Firing those first few rounds can be a bit nerve racking though.

I would recommend that you do not fire those rounds with high seated primers - you increase the risk of an out of battery ignition. Pull the bullets and seat the primers fully or just toss the rounds and chalk it up to experience.

If you are using mixed headstamp 9mm brass that can require a bit of learning as well. I hand prime my 9mm and some cases the primer almost drops in and others it takes considerably more pressure. Not all cases seem to have the same cup depth either, some cases require me to close the handle on the primer tool farther than others.
Sure does feel good! I wasn't planning on trying to fire the 2 bad ones. I put them aside so when, or if I get a bullet puller I'll take care of them then. I'm very cautious, checking COL every few rounds, looking at the primers every round etc.. Heck, I pulled 30 powder drops before I actually set a bullet!

TK

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sure does feel good! I wasn't planning on trying to fire the 2 bad ones. I put them aside so when, or if I get a bullet puller I'll take care of them then. I'm very cautious, checking COL every few rounds, looking at the primers every round etc.. Heck, I pulled 30 powder drops before I actually set a bullet!

TK
Oh....you'll get a bullet puller :rofl: Every now and again I find myself pulling a few for one reason or other.
Congrats on your first reloads, keep on being careful and you'll be fine.
You'll get the feel for the priming system and I agree with the above, different headstamp brass will require more or less arm to seat the primers. Also, check your brass for crimps, it's not unusual at all in 9mm if you're using range brass.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You pay haz mat on primers too.. Buy a bunch at a time to make that haz mat fee worth your while.

If you don't need that much, get a friend to go halves, then you only pay half the haz mat fee, get what you need and still save by buying bulk.

I'm always interested in a group buy and I'm not that far from you Celt, so if you come across a good deal on bulk primers/powder hit me up and I might be interested in cost sharing lol
I'll join in on a bulk powder order too if you guys want…. 48# max would make the fees much more tolerable split up.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Congrats!!!!

Reloading Ammo is another term for "Man's Cooking".... Just like pig roasting, BBQing, and anything else eaten with your bare hands or a dedicated steak knife.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts