New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure there is probably some COs here on the site so I figured I would post some questions.

Background: Applied and took the test 2 or so years ago. Actually scored very high on the test something like 98th percentile... However in that 2 short years I now have 2 kids and I am concerned about the first few months of on the job training...

How long are you downstate for usually? I live in oneida county so obviously would like to get into one of the local facilities...
Now from what ive garnered from talking to others time downstate can vary based on need in local locations.

How hard is the fit test really? Ive let myself go abit and could never really benchpress, i was more of a squats and free weights guy. Im looking for situps/pushups info i guess. the packet lists some fit tests and they all seem well within my means

is there anything I should know before hand, prior to getting into this? ( pm me if need be)

It says academy is minimum 8 weeks does that mean after that i would be moved upstate?

I have a friend in a local facility and he said they are alot guys retiring / being encouraged to retire in the next couple years..

Really I cant move my family downstate and if ill end up there for a year+ i might reconsider this.....

Any info / encouragement / words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My father-inlaw has worked for corrections for 22yrs and is at marcy cf. I was talking to him the other day about the prison,and about oneida cf that was recently closed. He said that they just got 8 guys from downstate that were there almost 4yrs. He said with oneida closing people from this area will be stuck down there longer than usual.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
How long are you downstate for usually? I live in oneida county so obviously would like to get into one of the local facilities...

How hard is the fit test really? Ive let myself go abit and could never really benchpress, i was more of a squats and free weights guy. Im looking for situps/pushups info i guess. the packet lists some fit tests and they all seem well within my means

is there anything I should know before hand, prior to getting into this? ( pm me if need be)

It says academy is minimum 8 weeks does that mean after that i would be moved upstate?
You'll be hired as a Tier 6.......****ty.

It's a thankless job.

You'll be at the academy 8wks then do 3wks OJT, then you'll be sent wherever they need you.
Oneida CF and Camp Georgetown were both shutdown by Gov A$$wipe last summer.
400+- CO's displaced by this, no-one is transferring back to CNY(Marcy, Mid-State, Mohawk) without 18 yrs right now.
That could change within the next few years, but realistically you aren't going back home anytime soon (best guess 4-5 yrs).

Fit-test you'll be fine.
Being gassed sucks the worst.

He said that they just got 8 guys from downstate that were there almost 4yrs. He said with oneida closing people from this area will be stuck down there longer than usual.
The guys they are getting in were displaced from last years closings, not newbe's with 4yrs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Most likely you will end up doing your OJT at Bedford Hills Correctional Facility or Sing Sing Correctional Facility (Ossining).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was wondering how the closings would affect everything... i dont know if 3-5 years downstate would be beneficial for my family... money isnt everything these days....

I appreciate all of the info guys. gives me something to think on

·
Registered
868 Posts
i was wondering how the closings would affect everything... i dont know if 3-5 years downstate would be beneficial for my family... money isnt everything these days....

I appreciate all of the info guys. gives me something to think on
When is your appointment? I go out June 14th....

As far as downstate time i'm planning on being stuck down there at least two years.... A couple guys i know it took 2-3 years to get back to the area but they said they where home just about as much if not more then down there due to working doubles all the time (work three days and be home for four....)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lot of TB, aids, and Hep. in prison. The job aint no picnic and prison aint for everybody.Think long and hard sonny boy,them con's break many a man down and there always trying. Also your fellow workers will stick it to ya. Don't worry were your gonna work cause you don't have any choice. Other then that it's a great job!

·
Registered
810 Posts
When is your appointment? I go out June 14th....

As far as downstate time i'm planning on being stuck down there at least two years.... A couple guys i know it took 2-3 years to get back to the area but they said they where home just about as much if not more then down there due to working doubles all the time (work three days and be home for four....)
Either you are single or don't mind being away from your family. As far as working doubles you have to earn the trust of your fella workers before they start swapping with you. If you really think you will be back upstate in 2 or 3 years you are dreaming, I will say 5 or more will be more like it.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
You could always take the local county civil service exam and try for a job at the local county jail if your heart is set on becoming a CO.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You could always take the local county civil service exam and try for a job at the local county jail if your heart is set on becoming a CO.
Also when you take the State test you can double it as county also if anyone else was considering a job in corrections.... I wish id known this when i took the state test!!

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Most likely you will end up doing your OJT at Bedford Hills Correctional Facility or Sing Sing Correctional Facility (Ossining).
I believe the last class are all being sent to Comstock (Great Meadow).

Aurthur Kill and Mid-Orange were closed last summer as well, lots of guys trying to get back closer to home that way too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the paper work to double down for county.. somehow the messed it up and it only went to state

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO ive been talking with some guys. and have a couple other questions...

From what ive heard the shift swapping is fairly common. But in reality how long am I looking at to start that..

and second... the renting an apartment situation. I assume with all the displacement getting in on an apartment with some guys shouldnt be too hard and ill be looking at 150-200 a month... or am i dreaming?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Swapping- depends on what jail you end up at, most likely you'll be able to swap right away.
Apartment- should be able to get in at around $100/mo. (10-20 guy flophouse)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perfect. Matches up with other info ive gathered... many thanks for all the replies gentlemen

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
justin - pmed.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Lot of TB, aids, and Hep. in prison. The job aint no picnic and prison aint for everybody.Think long and hard sonny boy,them con's break many a man down and there always trying. Also your fellow workers will stick it to ya. Don't worry were your gonna work cause you don't have any choice. Other then that it's a great job!
I'm sorry man but I laughed my ass off on your reply! You tell him basically many diseases in prison, inmates try to break you down, your co-workers stab you in the back and you do not choose where to work but OTHER THAN THAT, it's a great job! LOL!!! He is ***ked every way till Tuesday!

Zues good luck on this! My buddy is a CO at the county jail and he likes his job. Not as crazy as the state, pay not be as good but a little safer and easier.

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but maybe someone could answer a couple of questions for me. I just got a date for my physical and background check, and was wondering how long it took to get a start date after that? I had an extensive background check by a federal department last year for a security clearance, and very recently came off active orders. Could this help speed up the process? Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts