New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know that some people have Hunting/Target restrictions. I have Hunting/Target/and other recreational purposes, so I have a bit more wiggle room. However, what if you have a Hunting/Target restriction, but your judge says "Hunting means Hunting, fishing, hiking, etc." On your permit it only says Hunting/Target. How is that possibly enforceable? If you get pulled, and tell the cop you are carrying, and hand him your permit and then he sees "Hunting/Target", how is he possibly going to know that in YOUR county that means "Hunting/Target/Fishing/etc." It isn't like the cops study what the restrictions for each county mean, and it isn't possible for them to know them all...I know carrying "outside" them is only in administrative violation, but even so, how could they even possibly know? Even mine, how do they know what a recreational purpose is defined as by our judge? It's just a mess...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I could be wrong here but it doesnt matter if the cops know or not. Its my understanding they are administrative restrictions. So lets say yours is restricted to target shooting and your hiking. The cop cant arrest you or take your pistol or anything. He can take your info down and report you to your licensing officer. So since thats the case your judge will know what he said you could do so it doesnt matter if you get stopped in a different county.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be wrong here but it doesnt matter if the cops know or not. Its my understanding they are administrative restrictions. So lets say yours is restricted to target shooting and your hiking. The cop cant arrest you or take your pistol or anything. He can take your info down and report you to your licensing officer. So since thats the case your judge will know what he said you could do so it doesnt matter if you get stopped in a different county.
Buy why would he report you? You could very well be carrying within your restrictions. For example, if your count says H/T (abbreviated), but that means H/T in addition to camping, fishing, etc. and you are, say, fishing you are within your restrictions, even if not listed.

·
6,795 Posts
It doesnt matter if he reports you or not though because your judge wont do anything if your within his restrictions. Honestly I cant imagine a LEO reporting anyone unless they are being dumb. But then again I am in Monroe County and we are lucky with no restrictions but if I did have them I wouldnt worry about another counties police interpratation of my restrictions.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesnt matter if he reports you or not though because your judge wont do anything if your within his restrictions. Honestly I cant imagine a LEO reporting anyone unless they are being dumb. But then again I am in Monroe County and we are lucky with no restrictions but if I did have them I wouldnt worry about another counties police interpratation of my restrictions.
I REALLY can't imagine it happens too often though. Imagine a STATE trooper pulling you over and seeing restrictions from a county he might only spend a few days a month in...going through all that hassle for a restriction he may be misinterpreting?

·
6,795 Posts
What is the hassle part? I guess I dont know what you mean? I am assuming that he is just going to take your info down which he is going to need anyways since he pulled you over. I can see him maybe giving a lecture but thats it. Am I missing something?
I agree though restrictions in general are rediculous and dont know how something not provided for in law can become law in case law. I dont understand what they interpreted in the law to give themselves that power but it is BS.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Paranoia????? With all the strange laws county to county, you either have to be paranoid or just don't care about the possibility of what can happen to you. (Not saying you as in a personal thing Evild) I think there are laws that confuse the most avid hunter, CCW experienced, and yes even the law enforcement officers that are charged with enforcing these bizarre laws. We have to get to know the judges, the representatives and the senators that make and enforce the laws, and change what we can. Voting is the only way we have to change laws or ensure our rights are protected. One thing though, stop listening to some of the crap we read here about this judge and that judge and this and that county without actually finding the facts not rumors and gossip some take as the oh mighty truth. Sure there are pro gun and anti gun judges, but most i believe try to reach middle ground in signing permits. There are always 3 sides to every story as to why a permit is issued or denied. One law I would like to see is a time limit on having a permit approved ....18 months in some counties???? No way it should take that long in any county.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been a while since we had a paranoia thread, glad you started it.
Oh yes, very paranoid. I always post my paranoid thoughts here on the interwebs instead of keeping them under my tin-foil covered skull. No way gubment can read them here!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Any time you express concern about getting your permit revoked for any thing other than committing a crime or being committed to a mental institution is paranoia in my book especially since I'm willing to bet you will find less than 10 instances, if any, of this ever happening. This is exactly what lefty wants you to think and feel.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you get pulled over, all the officer has to do is give a call or have dispatch all your county and verify your permit. Even if they don't get anyone it's then on record and you can be sure the call will be followed up on. I don't recommend doing it and you can always keep a copy of what your particular restrictions mean in your car, bag, etc... that you can provide to the officer.

I'd also not recommend doing anything to initiate contact in the first place. Be the gray man, blend in and always remember nothing good happens after midnight.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Like USMC said. The restrictions are not enforceable via the penal law. If you are a complete DB with the LEO then, he will most likely go out of his way to contact the judge from your county. But if like any LOE encounter you show respect and comply, unless the LEO is a complete DB, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Keep a range bag with a used target in the trunk....what we have to do.....tsk, tsk,tsk

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any time you express concern about getting your permit revoked for any thing other than committing a crime or being committed to a mental institution is paranoia in my book especially since I'm willing to bet you will find less than 10 instances, if any, of this ever happening. This is exactly what lefty wants you to think and feel.
You live in a state where a 12 round magazine made after some magical fairy-tale date is a felony. Paranoia this is not.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, it is, Big time.
That's fine, call it whatever you'd like. Call it an Ice Cream Sandwich for all I care.

·
Registered
644 Posts
So we know that some people have Hunting/Target restrictions. I have Hunting/Target/and other recreational purposes, so I have a bit more wiggle room. However, what if you have a Hunting/Target restriction, but your judge says "Hunting means Hunting, fishing, hiking, etc." On your permit it only says Hunting/Target. How is that possibly enforceable? If you get pulled, and tell the cop you are carrying, and hand him your permit and then he sees "Hunting/Target", how is he possibly going to know that in YOUR county that means "Hunting/Target/Fishing/etc." It isn't like the cops study what the restrictions for each county mean, and it isn't possible for them to know them all...I know carrying "outside" them is only in administrative violation, but even so, how could they even possibly know? Even mine, how do they know what a recreational purpose is defined as by our judge? It's just a mess...
OK, so I'm a lawyer, and let me start out by saying that the real answer to this isn't very "legal." The only "legal" thing that is pertinent is that under NYS law, for all practical purposes, a handgun license is revocable at any time. If a person with authority to revoke your license decides it should be revoked, then away it goes.

It is reasonably well established at this point that carrying outside of your restrictions is not, standing alone, a criminal offense. A police officer you encounter does not have PC to arrest you for any criminal offense simply because your (valid) NY handgun license says "hunting" but you're standing in line at a movie theater. The way anything becomes relevant is if the police officer (or anyone else) decides to report you to the licensing officer -- e.g. (again for practical purposes) the pistol license office. If you do something that makes a police officer think he ought to report you to the pistol license office, then they call you in and put you in front of the judge. He decides what should happen, and (again, for all practical purposes) that is pretty much what happens.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Judges in NY state various counties are nowhere in the law legally empowered to put 'restrictions' on a permit. What they are doing is 'legislating from the bench'. What NY state permit holders need is someone with enough money & good lawyers to challenge the restrictions in court. If a case like this were to go to the courts, perhaps some monetary & legal support from the NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation , etc. could be a moving force in ending restrictive permits.

·
6,795 Posts
The restrictions have been challenged in the past and case law has determined that while restrictions are not provided for in the law the judge may still place those administrative resctrictions on the permit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts