New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this from a fella in PA. Slant receiver (I pulled the stock and checked).

Obviously a pre-94 Norinco which in itself is awesome. I'm also in a ban state, which makes it more awesome. I got it for a very low price for a ban state price... And a below average price for general gunbroker prices too.

It's mint or near. The chamber looks as nice as the day it was made, I can't describe how clean it is.

Here's the thing... I can't stand the thumbhole stock (Who can?) and if I change to a pistol grip I have to do all the 922R parts.

What does the hive think about my options? Should I just sell this off and get a regular unit like a compliant Arsenal with some preban mags? Should I 922R this and put the Tapco trigger group (Which would suck, because the trigger on this feels nicer than any AK trigger I've ever felt)? Or should I just live with the ugliness and be happy that I have one of the nicer examples of an AK?

Also... How many options do I have as far as furniture on a slant receiver?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Um I may be wrong here but if this is a pre-94 you can also put things on it like a folding stock a bayonet and that kind of thing. I'm not sure about the 922(r) thing but if I was you I would keep this thing, being that it is preban you could at least put a folding stock on it and sell it for a few grand in the condition it is in. This is a commodity in NYS don't just chuck a diamond away because you don't feel like shaping it.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered loading it up with a folder, but it's got the 56 type slant cut receiver so you need to do a little extra work to make it right.

If I truly thought that setting it up with a pistol grip, AMD65 side folder and bayo-lugged FSB was going to triple my money, I'd be all over it. Then again, I might just do all that and keep it.

That's part of what I'm feeling out here... Mod it up, sell it to someone who will, or leave it alone in case it becomes collectible in stock shape?

Right now, it is ALL imported parts. No US made receiver, stocks, triggers, etc. It's allowed to be that way because 922r says essentially 'if it is not a sporting rifle' it has to have no more than 10 imported parts. Since they put that godugly thumbhole stock on it, that makes it 'sporterized' (Like the Saiga in stock form) and exempt from that. As soon as I put a pistol grip on it, I have to change 6 parts; Typically all three stock pieces and three trigger pieces (Trigger, hammer, disconnector). Which sucks, because this trigger is glorious.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I considered loading it up with a folder, but it's got the 56 type slant cut receiver so you need to do a little extra work to make it right.

If I truly thought that setting it up with a pistol grip, AMD65 side folder and bayo-lugged FSB was going to triple my money, I'd be all over it. Then again, I might just do all that and keep it.

That's part of what I'm feeling out here... Mod it up, sell it to someone who will, or leave it alone in case it becomes collectible in stock shape?
I'd load it up with all the preban goodies that you can being that it is rare, go play around with it and see if u decide you like it better in your collection. If you do not then u have 2 options, sell it for quite a bit because it is a preban OR keep it nice and wait to see if it does become a collectable in its stock form, if that DOES happen, put the original stock back on it and sell it that way if you don't want to keep it. Just avoid modding the acual rifle at all to fit the preban parts, make sure if there is any filing or bending going on its happening to the modular parts not the rifle itself.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet98... No idea. But these seem to go $700+ even in general sales so I'd say the NY price would be at least a tad bit over that.

The only thing that concerns me is the 922R stuff... Pulling out trigger items. I guess when done with an Ironwood stock setup, I'd essentally have a 56s and that's never a bad thing.

· Registered
978 Posts
I bought one like 2 years ago (milled version, cant tell if your receiver is stamped or milled). The guy just wanted to get rid of it. He still had it in the goofy styrofoam and cardboard that it got shipped in. He took it out when he bought it, shot 20 rounds through it, cleaned it and put it back in the box! What was funny is we didnt know the date (preban or postban) and I opened the manual and the original receipt fell out with his name on it from 1993! I left it exactly as I got it, I thought about switching some stuff around but felt like it was worth it to just leave it alone...

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Don't quote me, but I believe for 922r, having a mag over 10rds (pre and post ban, doesn't matter), it needs to be compliant. Regular capacity mags like 30rds are considered "non-sporting." If someone here can, please prove I'm wrong because I may be. I'd like it though, if I had the money and you put it up for sale. Even trade for converted/compliant Saiga 7.62? Lol

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Don't quote me, but I believe for 922r, having a mag over 10rds (pre and post ban, doesn't matter), it needs to be compliant. Regular capacity mags like 30rds are considered "non-sporting." If someone here can, please prove I'm wrong because I may be. I'd like it though, if I had the money and you put it up for sale. Even trade for converted/compliant Saiga 7.62? Lol
I was pretty sure of that too, that is why there are no compliance kits of AKs however there are tons for the SKS rifles......I couldn't say it for sure either though.

That is one thing to make sure of OP - you may not even have to 922r this thing, it might not be a requirement.

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's post 1989 so it definitely has to be 922R compliant. I need to change out 6 pieces to US. Stock, grip, foregrip are 3, then you need 3 more.

Usually trigger, hammer, gas piston or anothe fcg part.

It's only kosher with the thumbhole on it. I can totally deban it (folders, threads, bayo, flash hider, all the 30's I can buy) but I have to do the 922r parts first to be completely legal. Most won't and never even know.

· Registered
5,312 Posts
I'll take it!

(ok, I was just kidding)

* 1st I'll take it SPACE HOLDER * :p

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Keep it the way it is!!! I know the AK's will probably never make the C&R list, but I gotta tell ya ... that gun is definitely a curiosity to me!!! Nice gun!! Take good care of it as that could be a nice investment!! What do you all think?

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't make any permanent changes. All the stuff I'd consider is reversible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.