New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the stocks on some of these NY legal AR's and I noticed instead of them being pinned on a 6 position buffer tube, the tube doesn't have any notches in it for other positions. They just make a solid cast tube, and drill/tap the bottom of it, and put a bolt in it. Didn't think they were doing this. Is this something new?

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
The Stags are like that, my father-in-law has one I bought for him that's a 1 position that's bolted on.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
The one I just worked with last week had carbine buffer and spring.
RE tube length too.
It got stupid when we worked out that the last several inches that we thought might be rifle length ain't. (purpose is to give extra mortaring support thats needed but can't be had with a fixed stock)

This results in you geting the stock positioned at the length you desire, and if the solid slug base of the RE tube sticks out, mark it.
Drill & tap for your lock screw (go right through the tube wall, just clean up stuff before reinstalling spring and buffer) then double check that the mark you made on the RE is where you want it.

Remove stock one last time from RE, hacksaw the end of the RE tube slug off and refinish.
reinstall stock onto RE, lock down with screw (I suggest helicoil inserts for added strength)

When done the RE should not protrude out past the putt plate, nor should it be significantly sunk down in the hole. Just short of flush to no more recessed than around 1/2"~9/16" max.
3/8" would be tits.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
So cant you buy a 6 position stock then pln it or thats not legal ?
Yes, you can legally buy a regular stock and pin it.
Or epoxy it
Or drill & tap as above.

You can also get creative by stripping the latch arm off the stock, cross drilling through the body and the bolt/bar that engages the holes in the RE
Tap in that 3/32" spring pin and reassemble the latch lever.

Net result is the complete inability to move the lever, and if forced too hard will snap the bolt/bar where its been cross drilled releasing the latch lever all the way to the floor and STILL won't allow the thing to release without tools and patience.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
The one I just worked with last week had carbine buffer and spring.
RE tube length too.
It got stupid when we worked out that the last several inches that we thought might be rifle length ain't. (purpose is to give extra mortaring support thats needed but can't be had with a fixed stock)

This results in you geting the stock positioned at the length you desire, and if the solid slug base of the RE tube sticks out, mark it.
Drill & tap for your lock screw (go right through the tube wall, just clean up stuff before reinstalling spring and buffer) then double check that the mark you made on the RE is where you want it.

Remove stock one last time from RE, hacksaw the end of the RE tube slug off and refinish.
reinstall stock onto RE, lock down with screw (I suggest helicoil inserts for added strength)

When done the RE should not protrude out past the putt plate, nor should it be significantly sunk down in the hole. Just short of flush to no more recessed than around 1/2"~9/16" max.
3/8" would be tits.
I like that.
I wonder how it would look with the regular T6 tube. take out the adjustment lever and pin. and cut that to fit flush (a tad below like you indicated)
using one of the positions from the T6 factory. Or buy a wider pin and make sure it fits with some JD weld to go with it. I would still put a
blind pin on top but this will make it stronger, maybe?
thoughts?

· Registered
2,534 Posts
The idea behind burying a pin in the locking post is so it can be covered up by the lock lever when reinstalled.
If someone does a stupid thing by trying to whack the lock lever, at worst the lever will exert enough force on the drilled through area that it will simply snap off anything outboard of the rollpin, thus leaving rollpin, latch pin, spring, etc still right where they belong.

AFA getting a wider pin, I'm not sure I'm tracking you correctly.
What you're saying makes sense to a degree, but specifically what part you're referring to is a bit confusing and so is gumming the worx.
Like wider pin goes where or replaces what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.