New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Ohio was very CCW friendly and I'm finding that this is not the case here in NY. The "just cause" or "good cause" requirement is an absolute joke in my opinion.

RegardingOnondaga county, what are people having success with for good cause? I frequently transport expensive photography and electronic equipment at very odd hours of the night/morning as I am on a rotating shift. Thats the only thing that came to mind aside from my constitutional and God given right to protect myself and my family...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey folks, It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Ohio was very CCW friendly and I'm finding that this is not the case here in NY. The "just cause" or "good cause" requirement is an absolute joke in my opinion.

RegardingOnondaga county, what are people having success with for good cause? I frequently transport expensive photography and electronic equipment at very odd hours of the night/morning as I am on a rotating shift. Thats the only thing that came to mind aside from my constitutional and God given right to protect myself and my family...
You have to start with finding four character referances from your new county. Not sure if it's six months of residency in Onondaga. RPD offers an upgrade class to remove the restrictions. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to start with finding four character referances from your new county. Not sure if it's six months of residency in Onondaga. RPD offers an upgrade class to remove the restrictions. Best of Luck.
thanks for the heads up. Ill start with the sportsman permit and work my way up.

Since I just moved here (military), I am limited on references. Any chance they would waive that?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Welcome to New York State comrade; where the NYS legislature doesn't believe in our constitutional and God given rights to protect ourselves and our families (unfortunately). Onondaga County is brutal. Just moved here myself after bouncing around all over NYS. When I called to set up an appointment to SUBMIT my application, the soonest time was April of 2013 (and then a 6 month wait thereafter, barring any other issues). Do you have any military friends or work acquaintances that would vouch for you? Also, in regards to the CCW; the NYS legislature believes that "good cause" is carrying large sums of cash (and that this cash is apparently more important than ones life).

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Since I just moved here (military), I am limited on references. Any chance they would waive that?
Sadly, no. And being in possession of large sums of cash or equipment is no longer a reason to get a CCW here in Onondaga. Too many people have used that excuse and the judges and permit office have gotten wise to it. That reason could get you an "employment" permit if you have a written request on letter head from your employer or if you have your own NYS business license and company.

·
Registered
712 Posts
sorry for your loss. ( loss of freedoms! i wish I was joking) no way will they waive anything, even for military. My wife recently ( ontario county) got asked on the spot for 2 more from neighbors as she is self imployed. They asked for 2 neighbors or clients.

We dont want our neighbors knowing this stuff....or her clients...but she forked them over. 1 neighbor and 2 clients IN ADDITION to the 4 required.......you want the prize, gotta play the game.

Good luck. plus each county has a slightly different set of rules! our county I think requires ref be known for 4 years.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
thanks for the heads up. Ill start with the sportsman permit and work my way up.

Welcome to the PRNY, get 4 refernces from your unit, get a certificate of training from your commander that spells out all the weapons training you have gone through. Use Self Defense as your justification. You should not have to deal with sportsman restrictions. This F'ing state blows, get out of it as soon as you can and never look back. Don't make the same mistake I did and marry a local gal, you will be here for life or divorce whichever comes first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts