New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently in Florida for a vacation. Man...a free state.

My wife is waiting for her NY pistol permit. So, she was interested in trying out some pistols. We went to a range in Orlando (East Orange Shooting Sports) where we had the opportunity to rent two pistols at a time in order to try them in a side-by-side fashion. The session was quite useful. She found that she hates the LCP and the LC9 (with DAO trigger). She really liked the Glock 42, Glock 19, Springfield XDs 3.3 9mm, and all 1911s. She likes the form factor of the LC9, but hated the trigger. So, she wants to try an LC9s (which I'll order just for kicks). Although the range was not air-conditioned, we had a great time. It was only $10/person for a range session, $9/pistol rental (with unlimited swaps for other models), and ammunition was pretty reasonable (for range-purchased boxes).

Another day, I stopped by a Bass Pro Shop. Wow...cases of all kinds of pistols. Racks of rifles. I just had to take this picture:

The shelf was stocked with New York contraband that is legal just about everywhere else (except for the a few, lowly, lib-run, fiefdoms masquerading as states): 20 round SKS mags, 32 round 10/22 mags, 30 round AR mags, 20 round AK mags, and 30 round Mini 14 mags...right there...side-by-side...for anyone to purchase. Wow!

Needless to say, coming back to New York was a downer (though...I can do without the Florida humidity).

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
LoL yea they need standard capacity mags down there because their "deer" have teeth and are known as gators. LoL

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When researching the LC9s, I noticed that since the pistol has a magazine disconnect, it comes with an orange inert magazine to allow the action to be cycled. I watched Hickok45's video. In that video, Hickok45 refers to the inert magazine as "a New Jersey-compliant 9mm magazine."

Jersey-Compliant 9mm magazine (at 7:00 mark):

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
ugg, i feel your pain phazer... i feel trapped too... family business, family, etc... but whenever i see pictures of a free state like that, it really gets me even more pissed off with NY than I was (as if thats possible). its completely insane that what is perfectly normal/legal in one state is a felony in another... the absurdity is more frustrating that anything.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Welcome back to NY.

Hands behind you back please.

Its for our safety.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
its completely insane that what is perfectly normal/legal in one state is a felony in another... the absurdity is more frustrating that anything.
Certainly not the UNITED States anymore. NY is quickly becoming the unwanted stepchild of America.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
not united is right... We are the Divided States of Communist Amerika. divide and conquer, right? well its working ,the people are sleeping.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
LC9s is the dumbest gun there is, it has magazine disconnect, thumb safety and internal lock. Can they possibly put more **** in it that can malfunction or make it harder for me to fire?
Idiot proof gun for idiots.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
LC9s is the dumbest gun there is, it has magazine disconnect, thumb safety and internal lock. Can they possibly put more **** in it that can malfunction or make it harder for me to fire?
Idiot proof gun for idiots.
That " dummy mag" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in firearm safety.

No, I'm serious.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I like NY State. Everytime the rest of the Country laughs at us for our laws, it makes me feel good that I am part of their enjoyment!

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not as hard as you think it is to move. You just have to want it badly enough. The question I asked myself was what's freedom and liberty worth ? I had to find a new job, talk the wife into going along with it, put the house on the market, live apart for going on 2 months now and handle starting over in an unfamiliar city / state. It's was and continues to be hard and expensive, but freedom feels good and it's easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm not saying what I did will work for everyone, but if you feel trapped I suggest evaluating again. I believe you can do it if you want to. I'm so glad I did. FUAC.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Welcome back. I just got back from a free state myself. I tried a few pistols out there. Perphaps I will write a review but scotch man has set the bar for gun reviews every high.
I thought about the lcp but do not want to start having to collect a new caliber of ammo to buy. But it's great to have a chance to actually shoot a gun before you buy it, unlike ny without jumping thru hoops. Are there any LGS that allow you to shoot a floor model before buying. Twenty years ago T&T in foral park let me do so but I haven't found one since. At least not the model I wanted to try.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are there any LGS that allow you to shoot a floor model before buying.
If I understand the idiocy of New York's laws, it is unlawful to handle a handgun that is not registered to you. Doing so would constitute an illegal "transfer" of a firearm.

I've seen shooters try each other's pistols at ranges. But, I believe that this is not really allowed. It is nuts, however. For example: If shooter A comes to the range with his own 6 pistols, shooter B comes to the range with his 7 pistols, it is illegal for shooter A to try one of shooter B's pistols...despite the fact that shooter A is ALREADY LEGALLY IN POSSESSION OF 6 PISTOLS!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was down in Florida for a week end of April, it was nice to be out of NY for awhile. Since August I have been to Kentucky twice for about 4 days each trip, it sucks to come back each time. Shot some full auto while I was down there, had a blast. Hopefully will be moving soon, been working on getting a new job down there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts