New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title states I just picked up a new gun today and would like to order these mounts and scope online so hopefully I can shoot it by next weekend. However I am worried if the 50mm scope will be too tall and hit the top of the rifle. Thanks in advance for input.

Rifle Remington 700 SPS 24in in .308

Leopold 1in medium mount and rings combo
Leupold STD 1" Medium Rings and 2 Piece Base Combo for Remington 700 RVF Matte Black
Leopold vx-2 4x12 50mm scope
Leupold VX-2 4-12x50mm Rifle Scope FREE S&H 110813, 110811, 110812, 114410. Leupold Rifle Scopes.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
I personally wouldn't get that mount. Install a nice solid steel base that is compatible with your rifle and bed it accordingly. Also look into other scopes that give more for the dollar. Badger even TPS makes some nice once. But if you are on a super tight budget even one of those UTG bases made of steel and properly bedded is better than any aluminum ones. The finishing is not as nice as a top shelf but they are a sturdy piece.
For the rings make sure you have some beefed up or tactical ring with at least 4 screws in each ring. If one gets loose by accident the others will hold the zero. Again Badger or TPS but also Warne makes some nice steel pieces at better cost. Leupold has some nice ones too to use with the picatinny type of rail.
For the scope .... well, what are you going to use it for?
I like something that has some mean of friendly, quick yet robust adjustment.

· Registered
286 Posts
That scope is just fine. I like the one piece base because once bedded properly there is no way for it to torque your scope at all. At 300 yrds it propbably wouldn't make a difference anyway. And like meketrefe said, you really want at least 4 screws per ring holding your scope, just to make sure noting moves around.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
well my maximum range of use would be 300 yds and i would like a 4-12 magnification what would you suggest
Do you know any of these?
What type of objective?.
Do you use small targets?
Want to group tight at those distances?
Would you hunt with it at some point and want to have a mean of dial a precise correction or a reference to do holdover?
Do you want to use a side spotting scope or be able to use the scope to see the hits/ POI?
I am asking because many varmint folks use target scopes and target folks like varmint scopes with large magnification range.
Personally I think if one prefers a wide FOV for hunting in heavy woods but if you sit at a behcn whetehr is targets or varmints (many times
small targets) a 4-16 magnification seems a good startring point. even 6-21 or so. In the end a 4-12 is in the same FOV range at the lowest
magnification and the 4-16 will come wiht a parallax adjustment something very desirable. Not just to get focus but to read wind
effectively using the mirage. Not a huge concern as in a range the wind will be the same for everyone but in a field it can change quickly.
Anyway IMO there is no good reason not to start there unless it is a typical hunting setup in which case the 3-9 magnification is full of great options as it is the most popular and competitive department.

ARA,
I think those are nice but steel against steel is preferable if the OP can afford it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.