New York Firearms Forum banner

Just bought S&W M&P15 today. Help on ammo

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  DDC353 
#1 ·
I just bought my first rifle today
Smith&Wesson M&P15. Picked up a couple Pre-Ban 30 round mags as well.

Im new to firearms so these may be dumb questions.

I need to buy Ammo basically. I'm assuming .223 is cheaper and easier to find

I figured buying online in bulk was the way to go as would be cheaper. Like 1,000 round case as I its new to me and will want to shoot it alot.

First off what sites would you guys recommend? I was looking at ammotogo.com which I heard about
They seemed higher in price than other sites, but other sites could be less reputable.

Any Brands to look for or stay away from? Want something fine for the range for now.

I have seen different types like light-armor piercing, anyone know if any certain types are illegal in NY state?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Light armor piercing is not illegal but most ranges will not allow it. Read some reviews online if people have problems with steel cased ammo in it. Most AR types seem to have no problem running it but a few do.

#14 ·
That M&P should shoot anything you throw at it.....If not,throw it in the river,ain't worth having if it doesn't go bang....:cool:

#17 ·
Target sports USA ain't so bad either and usually offer free shipping on cases.
There's others yet of course, but suffice to say there is a great honkin' pile of places that utterly crush CTD in general, especially when s&h is thrown into the equasion, but CTD advertises on a comparatively big scale so people take the easiest way out by simply going where the ads say they should go ('I saw this ad' syndrome) instead of taking the seed of an idea and actually putting a little effort into shopping around.

#18 ·
I had a great experience buying 1000 rounds from SGAmmo. PMC bronze is a great range ammo, I can usually pull off 1-1.5 MOA with it. You can have SG send you an email as soon as they get what you want in stock, which is a nice feature with how fast they sell out.

#19 ·
Just went for a quick spook purely for amusement

Item sought was Lake City 62gr, penetrator, fmj, reloadable, NATO headstamped, green tip M855, 1000rd loose bulk pack

CTD: $499 + $30 s&h
Target Sports USA $434 to your door
(TSU says 'sale price', but that price has been going on for several months, not a week or single month)

#21 ·
WOW, you guys so right, but lot of places black list NY and the island to. I got an M&P15, about a year now and i never run that dirty steel, ever and i got at least like 700-750 rounds thru it and as long as you clean it, oil it, it will never break, she'll get hot, but wont break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.