New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all this talk about Mini-14's in the other thread, I figured I'd post of some pics of my latest acquisition/project.

I purchased this rifle from a board member a few weeks back. My dad bought me a Mini years ago, brand new, as a Christmas gift. I caught the AR bug soon after and sold it to fund the purchase of a Stag. I didn't have much spare cash back then, so it was my only option. I've regretted that decision for years...ever since he passed away in '09.

Once I got this pre-ban 182 series, I knew what it "had" to look like, and got to work:

The way I received it

The butt plate fit well for the most part, but hung off the edge in this one spot

Butt stock was in good, work-able condition; but under the butt plate wasn't stained and showed on the edges

Left-over blue paint (don't ask...I have no idea) is ground off and I smoothed out that edge that was un-flush. I wasn't gonna go crazy on it, but those low spots at the bottom didn't sit well with me

Low spots gone

Filler-primed

Sprayed with satin black and baked in the oven for a few hours

I didn't worry about the chipping, but I did stain the light-colored areas to better match the rest of the stock

All finished up, with the addition of a factory vented handguard and (maybe temporary, maybe not) Blackhawk sling

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud :) I took'er out to Camillus a few weeks ago for a test run. Unfortunately, it was bitter cold and the wind was kickin' pretty good.

We didn't shoot nearly as much as we wanted to, but I was seeing pretty respectible groupings at 50yds--and I'll be the first to say I'm not the best with iron sights. I'd like to get back there soon to push'er out to 100 and see what I can do with some decent 55gr ammo.

The other nice thing about having a Mini again is that I'm falling in love with the Garand-style action. It just feels really "good" to me. I've been looking to pick up a Socom M1A for a few months now, and this just makes me all the more confident that I'll really enjoy that rifle when I get it.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Agreed, there's something really appealing about that Garand style action. Maybe it's just the sound of that big metal bolt sliding and twisting against metal. It's one of those actions that you're sure could slice a few misplaced fingers without missing a beat.

M1A is def on my list as well.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive been looking for one in a good price range for a bit.

yours looks goo but i wanna go ateam with mine
Nothin' wrong with that, man--if you're my age or older, you grew up with that show. Since this thing's pre-ban, the sky is definitely the limit. But I really don't see myself "tac'ing" it out. Plus, the real-deal folding stocks go for a mint pretty much anywhere I see'em.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Anyone who rescues old rifles is a hero of mine! I have to agree with keeping it the way it is. You can pick up another one someday with a composite or a folding stock. Nothing wrong with having two. Yeah, that action is super sweet. Ever check out Perfect Union / Shooting Sports Forum ? You can find some good ideas for improving accuracy.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the good words, guys. And yes--I've already been thinking about maybe picking one up in stainless steel with a composite stock. But the Socom comes first :p

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Awww man you sold a rifle your Dad gave you for Christmas ??? That's harsh....:) Nice Mini-14 though....!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awww man you sold a rifle your Dad gave you for Christmas ??? That's harsh....:) Nice Mini-14 though....!!
What can I say...I had the AR bug in a bad way and just couldn't wait to get one. It's the only firearm he had given me that I let go, and having this one *sort of* makes it feel like I have it back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sweet looking preban. I have a real soft spot for the Mini. I have a factory folder in blue and two stainless, one in wood and the other dressed in Houge ghille. I really want to pick up a Mini-30 next;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts