New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was fortunate enough to take the last course with Defense Dynamics, I wanted to spread the love a little bit. This is taken right off their Facebook page (follow them on FB for announcements like this, that's how I got in).

"Defense Dynamics will open registration for the August 6,2016, on Sunday July 10th at 10 am. Go to our website Firearms Training | Defense Dynamics

We highly recommend everyone practice with your firearm. You should be able to hit a 9 in paper plate at 15 yards.
Also, we are starting a series of clinics designed to develop skills and help you pass the qualifier. One of the clinics will work with new shooters' Breaking the first shot', the next will be "Developing skills for the Saratoga CCW" and the third will be "Drawing from a holster"

It was a fun course but you really need to practice shooting at 10 yards. Pretty sure the target was 12" in diameter, and you need to hit most of your shots to pass.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

-Mike

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
August will be the last class with the older course of fire! Starting in Sept. distances will be 15,10,7 and 3 yards ( check the Sheriffs web site for new course of fire ) The AP-1 target the 10 ring is 8" the next ring is 8 points which is 12" and then anything out side of that within the boarder of the target is 5 points! Which is why it is recommended to practice with 9" paper plates out to 15 yards! Minimum passing score will be a 425 (85%) of a perfect score of 500

This new course of fire is the same as Schenectady Counties unrestricted course!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I wonder how this compares to standards for LEOs in those counties. Same, harder, easier?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Since I was fortunate enough to take the last course with Defense Dynamics, I wanted to spread the love a little bit. This is taken right off their Facebook page (follow them on FB for announcements like this, that's how I got in).

"Defense Dynamics will open registration for the August 6,2016, on Sunday July 10th at 10 am. Go to our website Firearms Training | Defense Dynamics

We highly recommend everyone practice with your firearm. You should be able to hit a 9 in paper plate at 15 yards.
Also, we are starting a series of clinics designed to develop skills and help you pass the qualifier. One of the clinics will work with new shooters' Breaking the first shot', the next will be "Developing skills for the Saratoga CCW" and the third will be "Drawing from a holster"

It was a fun course but you really need to practice shooting at 10 yards. Pretty sure the target was 12" in diameter, and you need to hit most of your shots to pass.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

-Mike
Mike, Hit a 9 inch paper plate at 15 yards with a pistol?? NRA standard is 8 x 10 inch sheet of paper at 7 yards. Most of the PL holders merely purchase a firearm and never practice with it. With practice comes proficiency.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once September comes around they're backing it up to 15 yards. So for this class, yeah, it's something you'll need to be able to do. That being said, if you make your shots at 3, 5, and 10 yards all count, a few stragglers at 15 won't make or break you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts