New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To carry or not to carry? That is no longer the question.

One month after a federal judge's ruling, District officials have conceded that the city's long-standing ban on carrying guns in public must be scrapped and replaced with a new law that will allow at least some law-abiding city residents to bear arms on city streets.

With only a 90-day stay of the ruling in place, the effort to write a new law is on a fast track, but it remains fraught with political, legal and policy complications. Among the issues to be resolved: Will the city allow only the open carrying of arms, "concealed carry," or both? Will "sensitive areas" near national landmarks or government buildings be deemed gun-free zones? And to what extent will non-resident gun owners be permitted to bring their weapons into the city?

Judge having spoken, D.C. officials consider allowing residents to carry guns - The Washington Post

·
Registered
735 Posts
...Luv open carry "shall issue" law here in TN.

DC will enact a carry law similar to NY. That would allow carry ONLY by important people like movie stars and pols. If you think DC will allow carry by the general public you are dreaming.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) said:
"There was a legislator who was packing, and it was unnerving, to be honest with you," he said, explaining his personal preference for allowing only concealed carry. "Given the fact that we have for so long had very stringent gun-control laws, to have somebody walking into a store with a gun on his hip could be unnerving."
Here's 3/4 of the gun control crowd in this country's stance. They're just flat out scared of guns. My God, grow a sack and move on.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I like how Gura says if they pass laws that mirror MD or NY , he will sue again till they pass simple carry laws ( even congress is getting into the picture over this ) from what I have read on other news sites they are considering a both platform with some OC and CC as per the constitution . These DC lawmakers are getting bad info from the Brady bunch and other gun control dweebs that are so scared of themselves , they are likely to fail when it's all said and do e ! This is surely setting up another round of litigation that will insure that DC loses in a higher court ! Gura has it right , it's only a matter of time before NY and MD come under fire changing both of these states to shall issue ! This isn't that far off from what I'm hearing as NYC,s home rule has flown right straight into the face of Heller and we know it ! I can't wait to see the next mayors face when these lawsuits hit and Sullivan is overturned ! It will be the greatest day we have ever known to watch the progressives grovel , squrrim , and cry because they don't trust themselves being armed so no one else can protect themselves because of their childish feelings ! What a bunch of worthless people who allow themselves to be led around by their noses while being led to slaughter !

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

One month after a federal judge's ruling, District officials have conceded that the city's long-standing ban on carrying guns in public must be scrapped and replaced with a new law that will allow at least some law-abiding city residents to bear arms on city streets.

"... allow at least some law-abiding city residents to carry..."

WTF does that mean? I mean I know what it means, but what makes the rights of some law-abiding city residents more precious than other law-abiding city residents? What a joke, just like NY.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Will the city allow only the open carrying of arms, "concealed carry," or both? Will "sensitive areas" near national landmarks or government buildings be deemed gun-free zones? And to what extent will non-resident gun owners be permitted to bring their weapons into the city?
And this is where the Judge's ruling will get washed away.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
DC will enact a carry law similar to NY. That would allow carry ONLY by important people like movie stars and pols. If you think DC will allow carry by the general public you are dreaming.
I agree and I bet they're looking at NY as a template. Maybe it'll stand, maybe not, but it'll buy time.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The judge ruled. Oh dang, now we actually have to allow people to have their constitutional rights and we aren't sure how to do it!

The trials and tribulations of a ruling class politician in DC. Must be rough.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
"There was a legislator who was packing, and it was unnerving, to be honest with you," he said, explaining his personal preference for allowing only concealed carry. "Given the fact that we have for so long had very stringent gun-control laws, to have somebody walking into a store with a gun on his hip could be unnerving."
I would bet that fifty or so years ago just after the Civil Rights Acts were being enforced by court rulings, something very similar was spoken by some mayor that went to some northern city.

"There was a ***** standing right next to me in the mens room, and it was unnerving, to be honest with you".

Mayor Gray, that "unnerving" feeling that you keep having? That is the universe letting you know that you are on the wrong side of history.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I still want to know if the judge has to sign off on the law or if they just have to pass some BS swill and does Guru have to start all over again.

How about these states stop wasting time and tax money and come up with proper police training for legal concealed carry, they can't seem to control themselves now wait until everyone who wants to carry does.

If ever a need for body amour those who live in recently changed states are going to get harassed and possibly shot from a cop who isn't going to be able to switch off what he's been taught or though his entire career.

Exp. recent post who was held at police gun point for open carry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts