New York Firearms Forum banner

John Stossel, Fox News, Security vs. Liberty

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  emsbronco 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Still disturbing just thinking about that show the next day. Both my wife and my daughter told me this morning of the nightmares they had, especially how it relates to the killing of the family dog. The painful wails of the dog when it got shot and the heartbreaking cry if the owner "you shot my dog" really sticks in your brain. The Iraq vet that got shot and killed with 70+ rounds and guess the amount of drugs they found in the house afterward. NONE! This should bring new rhetoric from the anti-gun people that cops should not have guns or any form of deadly force. The use of overwhelming violence by cops, especially for suspected non-violent offenses, was the focus of much of the show. Not sure if/when it will be aired again. Perhaps the show in it's entirety will show up on youtube.

Link to the book featured on the show. http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas-ebook/dp/B00B3M3UFQ

Not the whole show, but a 7 minute segment here.

Not part of the show, but a youtube of the featured author.

#3 ·
Agreed. Very disturbing. The fact that the officers were cleared for shooting the dog and the officer Stossel was interviewing talked so calmly about the dog being as threat to the officers was also disturbing - especially when they found NOTHING in the house.

The piece where a couple who work for the CIA and have clean background were raided (with a warrant) because of stems and leaves in their garbage that later tested negative for Pot is another clear display of the ongoing violations of our Constitutional rights. Especially when it took a year for them to find out why the warrant was issued!

#4 ·
This show is on again right now, Sunday night. Go turn on your TV and tune in to Fox.

#5 ·
Stossel needs to get off Fox news.

Reading some of the comments on a post he made on facebook about how not a single good thing comes from the war on drugs (covered in this special), and good things come from ending it, the right wing loony toons act as if they are in the bronze age.

He is better than that.

#19 ·
He is certainly not the typical lame stream media talking head. I became a Stossel fan when I came across a show he did that featured Kennesaw Georgia. (Can't find it right now). However, I did find this. Tell me if you like him better after watching this 7+ minute vid.

#8 ·
I watched it last night. It is disturbing to put it mildly, but what can we do about it?

Religion can no longer control the masses, we are too diverse here in the US.

Next best thing FORCE.
thats a very good point... we are too diverse, and while religion typically teaches good morals and values I always felt that it was just another form of control over the people.

so, now they are resorting to strong arming society to maintain control, and that is only going to last so long until people start to say they have had enough.

when are people going to stand arm to arm and actually do something positive to give the message that we have had enough and wont take anymore.

I wish I caught this special as I would have liked to see it.

#11 ·
Yes, but what he is saying is how that is relevant? We don't need population control. We have too MUCH population control. We'd be just as well off without religion. The government is the problem here.

#14 ·
Looks like someone posted it to YouTube:

#17 ·
Thanks for the link so others can watch. Not sure if I can bear to watch it again anytime soon.

A point of clarification for those posting about religion. I don't recall the John Stossel show mentioning religion, but I sure hope there is a special place in hell for those heartless oathbreakers. I know there a several LEO's on this forum and I truly sincerely want you to be safe out there when you put your lives on the line every day.We have to find a way to come together and not let news like this tear us apart. I would like to offer this advice to any LEO listening. Treat these house raids as if the occupant is your brother or cousin or other family member that you understand may need to be taken into custody, but do so in the safest most controlled manner for both sides. I know that I speak for basically all dog owners when I say each dog is a member of the family. The pain/rage/anger of having your dog shot has got to be the same as if one of your children were shot.

#21 ·
I watched the show last night. For TV journalism I thought it was pretty good, but it could have been better. For example, there were many unanswered questions regarding the border patrol setting up a constant roadblock in a small Texas town 60 miles from the border. How long have they been there? Why did they set it up? What was their success rate? After a while, wouldn't they get to know the residents if they have to pass it every day? Maybe the border patrol refused to cooperate but that effort seems like wasted time. I would imagine that any illegals that try to pass through would quickly find an alternate route.

I think the show was very effective at showing just how awful those no-knock raids can be. Breaking in with guns drawn is almost guaranteed to involve shooting if the homeowner has a gun. I understand if the police fear the bad guy might be armed and want him off balance. Once again, what is the success rate? How does this compare to the deaths or injuries of people that were falsely accused?

What made my blood boil was the no knock raid on the suburban couple that were ex CIA officers. The police mistook tea leaves for marijuana and then made a no knock raid. What the hell is wrong with this country?

The war on drugs needs to be curtailed as this seems to be one of the driving forces.

#22 ·
damn, got to watch 27 minutes of the special and then the video got yanked for copyright violation..

#23 ·
Damn Internet Police! Forget no-knock warrants, we need to limit the use of DMCA ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.