New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on gathering my pistol permit paper work for Jefferson County. I am a active duty solider living on drum. I have been a NY state resident my entire life. Does anyone know how Jefferson county is? Has anyone tried to get a full carry?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your looking at atleast 8 months. I got mine in march, and is full carry.
Most I know get unrestricted.
Good luck

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
It took 8 months to get mine in 2002, I was also active duty at the time, my reason for the premit on the application was personal defense. You should not have any restrictions put on your carry permit if you used that reason, if you just used target practice you may get a restriction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got my phone call this morning for interview, photos & fingerprints. Slated for May 30 a.m.
Excellent.
Just a heads up, it will probably take another month after you return the applications that your references have to sign, the detective
prints them out for you.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
As active military its completely within reason to go for a single letter from your commander rather than several references.
Kind of a 'one and done' thing that can potentially cut a lot of time off the process.
(it won't, but at least you won't be held up by a local reference 'not getting around to filling out the form yet' or not being around for the detectives phone call situation)

Its buried in 400 or 265 IIRC and was established to allow service members stationed outside NY to apply without having to come up with references no~one local would know that would need to be contacted by long distance phone or brutally slow snail mail.

There is no prerquisit that a person be stationed outside NY for this to be used, just that they are active.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you checked on the base about storing it? A lot of bases do not allow keeping firearms in govt housing and some bases are "Liberal scared" to let you store them in the armory. Like the Navy Exchange not selling ammo or firearms.....and damn proud of not selling them too!!! Rectangle Font Toy Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
PX on Ft Drum sells guns and ammo and a LOT of guys living in housing have firearms so I'd hazard that won't be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts