New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people are worrying about the ammo portion of this law and it's January 2014 birth. I have seen a few post on blogs that the NICS, backround or whatever you want to call it is on hold. Well apparently it is, things that were planned couldn't be done so for now no backround or NICS type of check on the buyers end. The NYSP said however that portions of the law will still be in effect. Instead of the doing it on the buyers end it will be enforced on the sellers end. A person will have to register to sell ammo or be a NYS dealer in firearms. Those FFL01 / 07 etc that hold a NYS dealers license are autmoatically registered, the dealers or sellers will have to maintain a log with ammo info, and purchasers info. How it will be retained is yet to be announced but it will happen. I was given aome brief info on what it would be like and basically it sounds like the dealers current A&D book. Now the online portion is still in effect, if someone wants to sell from outside the state they have to register with the state, i.e. AIM Surplus would have to register with the NYSP then the ammo can only be shipped to a dealer or registered ammo seller. So the good is no backround FOR NOW, the bad everything stays and Jan is the magic date.

·
Banned
405 Posts
I know many people are worrying about the ammo portion of this law and it's January 2014 birth. I have seen a few post on blogs that the NICS, backround or whatever you want to call it is on hold. Well apparently it is, things that were planned couldn't be done so for now no backround or NICS type of check on the buyers end. The NYSP said however that portions of the law will still be in effect. Instead of the doing it on the buyers end it will be enforced on the sellers end. A person will have to register to sell ammo or be a NYS dealer in firearms. Those FFL01 / 07 etc that hold a NYS dealers license are autmoatically registered, the dealers or sellers will have to maintain a log with ammo info, and purchasers info. How it will be retained is yet to be announced but it will happen. I was given aome brief info on what it would be like and basically it sounds like the dealers current A&D book. Now the online portion is still in effect, if someone wants to sell from outside the state they have to register with the state, i.e. AIM Surplus would have to register with the NYSP then the ammo can only be shipped to a dealer or registered ammo seller. So the good is no backround FOR NOW, the bad everything stays and Jan is the magic date.
Excellent update! Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
"Instead of the doing it on the buyers end it will be enforced on the sellers end. A person will have to register to sell ammo or be a NYS dealer in firearms. Those FFL01 / 07 etc that hold a NYS dealers license are autmoatically registered, the dealers or sellers will have to maintain a log with ammo info, and purchasers info.
No BGC - good.
Registry - still BAD.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Personally, its virtually the same to me. Its still registration, still going to virtually shut down i nline sales which personally damages my ability to train at a reasonable price. They know full well that no bgc means pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
How does this work with non-dealers, e.g. Members or friends selling to one another? Recently at a club meeting we had www.ncf2a.com founder come by and tell everyone that it is illegal to even "give or loan your buddy a box of ammo or one shell at the range or while hunting once 1/15/2014 rolls around" they are going across the state telling everyone the same.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
So basically come January we are not going to be able to buy ammo once again. Basically nothing has changed!!! I guarantee dealers outside NYS are not going to register with this state. Why do they want the headache??? Buy all the ammo you can boy's cause its gonna be a long ride!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Both parts were abhorred, but I'll say it:

I think the "LESS worse" (Relatively remember, relatively) part of the law was removed.

Most people clamor on about how they don't care about a BGC for guns, as long as your info/the object transferred's (gun's) info is not recorded. I don't agree, I strongly oppose both, but that seems to be the thought process. In this case, the opposite part of the law was shot down. No BGC, but all your info and the object transferred (ammo) is being kept.

#fail.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
So the SAFE Act ammo provision rollout won't be ready in time. Lemme guess...the people who are charged with creating the SAFE Act ammo check system are the same ones who built the Obamacare website? Wouldn't that be a hoot.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
So .... we can't order ammo online anymore after this date UNLESS it's shipped to a 01FFL or the like?? What about us with 03FFL's?? I know we're big time criminals and all because we have a valid FFL for collecting and all .... What if the ammo I buy is surplus and is guaranteed to be over 50 years old and corrrosive?? Then what?? ;) Thanks for the update Bob! You rock!! (I still have to get down your way one of these days!!)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I swear.... January has been my bad luck month for the past few years. It also happens to be my birthday month.

January:

2012- Chemung County Pistol Permit Office was closed the entire month of January when I was trying to turn in my application
2013- NY Safe Act implemented
2014- Ammo background checks thanks to NY Safe Act

I just can't win. Worst birthday presents ever.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.