New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with them? Good pets? Good with kids?

I know everything I've ever read says don't buy a dog from a pet store, but we found this adorable JRT at a local mall. He was born 1/5/12 and has been in the pet shop since 3/12. Main concern is that he hasn't been properly socialized and will be a terror to train. Supposedly has all papers/shots, etc. Very cute dog. We spent about an hour with him and all was good. Never barked, which I understand can be a problem with the breed. I personally like larger dogs but think a small dog would be better for our lifestyle. We travel between two houses nearly every week approxiMatly 2 1/2 hours each way. Also spend a lot of time on the water during summer. Looking for a good dog for my 6 y/o son for companionship and to teach him responsibilities for caring for a pet. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have one, very high strung dog. Very friendly and alot of fun if you have time to tire him out. But mine does bark quite a bit and forget about letting him loose with any distractions when they are young they love to take off. Any animal person or leaf for that matter and he is like a lightning bolt. I love him to death he loves to cuddle and always has been great with children but they need lots of attention and excersize... oh and dont let him near a window cuz that really makes them nuts with anything that passes by

-Joe

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joe. Buying from a pet shop a problem or should I look for a breeder? Is he good in your car for a couple of hours?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have one... Things are hyper as crap.. and they jump up on kids allot.. which the kids dont seem to like...

Also if you want a dog that will listen to you instead of doing whatever the hell it wants dont get a jack rustle

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know they're independent and fiesty, but so am I. My biggest fear is he hasn't been socialized properly and will be a nightmare. Sure is a cute son of a Bitch (quite literally, ha, ha). My wife hasn't been able to put the reins on me after 30 yrs, so why should I expect more from a dog, ha, ha

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Pet shop animals have higher odds of coming from a puppy mill as oppsed to reputable breeders.
(the unreputable ones are the ones who run the mills....)

Anything wrong with the animals at the local shelter?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pet shop animals have higher odds of coming from a puppy mill as oppsed to reputable breeders.
(the unreputable ones are the ones who run the mills....)

Anything wrong with the animals at the local shelter?
Other than they probably came from the pet shop? Probably not. I hear where your coming from though. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Our rescues.
The bigger pair are ours, the little one is grandson's.
All were slated for death within a couple days if we'd not taken them.
Having long comfortable life now though.
View attachment 7663

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
my jack rustle was fun when she was younger shes about 8 now and just wants to lay around and be left alone.... Just attempting to pet he now risks getting your finger bitten off LOL

only big dogs for me from now on

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Please consider a rescue dog. We work with greyhound rescue and the rewards from rescuing a dog far outweigh getting a puppy mill dog from a pet shop. There are rescue groups for numerous breeds, my sister works with a golden retriever group. We even have a rescue group locally for the breed that Toto was in the Oz movie, can't remember the breed offhand. Just throwing this out there, rescues are great things and rescue dogs come to you spayed or neutered, vetted, up to date on shots, and probably have had a dental cleaning as well.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Scottish terrier (wire hair terrier?) wasn't it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had three Jack Russell's at one point. All passed on now. They are a terrier and need lots of training to keep a handle on them. PLEASE do not purchase from a pet shop. There is a JRT rescuse that can assist you with a nice rescue dog. To many of them are tossed aside because they are cute but also hard to handle with out training. If you are not willing to adopt please go to a reputable breeder. You will be much happier and with less problems.

I loved my JRT's. Miss them.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I have had many rescue and pound dogs. My sister used to work for a rescue and she would send the family pics all the time (my parents have one because of her also). We saved one mutt whose number was going to be called on death row the next day. She was an abuse case. Some ahole tied her and another dog to a tree and just left them to starve. They wereboth beaten also. The other dog died, and ours would have the next day the vet said. You could see every bone in her body when I took her home. I was embrassed to be seen with her! I got alot of dirty looks from people. They though I was the one who starved her. She was scared of everything and just tried to hide and shook all the time. Now she is happy, plump and has her own couch. I swear when you save a dog they are thankful for life. They end up being your best friend. Sorry for the rant I just think it's better to adopt a dog! It's also cheaper!

On to Jack russels. High energy and fun. My neighbor has one. It never shuts up, barks constantly. I think its a breed thing. Anyone I have know was a barker. I can't stand constant barking. If you don't mind it might not be a bad choice of breeds.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get the whole rescue shelter/breeder thing, but isn't taking a dog off the shelf from the pet shop, the same thing? What makes the pet shop dog less worthy than the others. My issue is the dog in the pet shop is less likely to have been properly socialized. I also get the if you don't buy the'll stop selling. Just playing devil's advocate. BTW, thanks for the responses everyone, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
buddies mom had one. bit me, bit their daughter. hyper as heck. ran off alot.... I wouldnt reccommend one unless you have alot of time for training and taking out to run and play.... I would look into a boston terrier

·
Registered
187 Posts
I get the whole rescue shelter/breeder thing, but isn't taking a dog off the shelf from the pet shop, the same thing? What makes the pet shop dog less worthy than the others. My issue is the dog in the pet shop is less likely to have been properly socialized. I also get the if you don't buy the'll stop selling. Just playing devil's advocate. BTW, thanks for the responses everyone, I do appreciate it.
Pet shop dogs tend to be from puppy mills. Not all, but quite a bit of them are. Puppy mills only care about how many pups the dogs have. That is all. No cares about health issues, how young the dog is for breeding or even if the dogs are related to each other.

A good breeder will have a family tree with all health information of the pups parents. It of course helps but not full proof. As for a rescue dog you have no idea. But most dogs in a shelter have been tossed aside for behavioral issues. Owners just look at how cute they are and don't take in account about what it takes to take care of the animal. You could very well end up with a dog from a puppy mill. But in most cases you will get a dog that is screened (somewhat) for health issues and behavioral issues.

Take your time. Do your research on all breeds before making a decision.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
JRT is beyond high energy as others have said, and Terriers in general have big attitudes for little dogs.

Not the best dogs with kids in my experience, bird dogs are larger breeds are much better with kids IMO.

Pet Shop puppies are a NO GO, don't do it.

There's plenty of reputable breeders who can help you out, or rescue dog if you go that route.

Seeing as you're around water a fair amount of time, get a retriever, great with kids and very teachable.

Terriers are work, and VERY independent, not what I'd consider a beginner's dog by any means.

Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would agree not to purchase from a pet store. Puppy mill dogs at outrageous prices is just not a good option in my opinion. We had a Jack Russell and unfortunately gave him up to a person with other Jack Russells and a large plot of land to run. VERY high strung dog, seems to be a breed with A.D.D, hard to train, and ripped many items apart in our home. The dog was dominant to our male Daushand and didnt make life easy for our weener dog which was the first dog we ever had, so the Jack had to go. Also, we kept them caged in the summer outside for a couple of hours a day with a doghouse with a comfortable rug to sleep on. The JRT took the rug out of the doghouse and there it stayed for a few days. Paying no mind it was no big deal until that little bastard got out and booked to the other side of the neighborhood. Checking the cage afterward, the JRT dug about a 1 foot hole down under and enough to squeeze out the other side of the cage. The worst part, that little SOB would be digging the hole to freedom and covering the hole with the RUG! Anyway, our home was much less hectic and more mellow when we decide to give him away to a home with ample running space. Good luck with the decision.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts