New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield XDS 3.3 9mm looking for a comfortable IWB holster and what exact position you carry. I’m 5’9 and 240lbs do it seems wherever I try it’s pressing into me. I currently have a We The People Kydex holster, anyone have experience with these and have a suggestion? Or maybe a suggestion of something else to help with my issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a bigger guy too. I have had the same question. I have been told by several of y friends who are “big boned” (lol) and some have recommended ankle holster. I know it is not the pay efficient for quick response but it might be more comfortable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We are about the same build and I use an Alien Gear IWB setup at 8:30 (3:30 if you are right-handed), which is right behind the hip bone. Easily reachable, well concealed, and doesn't dig into you when bending, leaning, or sitting. They have a new "Shape-Shift" holster, but I have 2 of the originals. They initially charge you for the shell (Kydex), but allow for a lifetime free exchange if you ever change the firearm you carry. I have 11 shells, because instead of trading or selling my old favorite, I just end up buying a new favorite!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm about 155lb 5'7" looking for an aiwb, unless someone can recommend elsewhere. I have CZ p10 that I feel like would print where ever it is.
Suggestions?
Sorry if I'm threadjacking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might as well be asking what adult beverage one likes; the answers will be varied and many. In that vein I shall give my preference, which is likely not to be worth much.

I'm about your height, though not quite as heavy, but certainly heavier than I should be. My preference for my XDs, 3.3'' .45acp is a CYA Kydex holster. You mention you already use a Kydex holster, so this may be of no help, but I have found the particular "cant" of a Kydex holster is what makes or breaks it with regard to comfort because Kydex is not very forgiving when pressed against flesh.

All of what I'm about to say is based on 4 o'clock carry (I'm too fat for comfortable appendix carry; sitting down is a nightmare), but I've found that a 5-7º "cant" is the sweet-spot for me; more than that and the gun/holster combo becomes irritating. My first Kydex holster, for a Shield 9mm, has a 12º "cant," it's not adjustable, and it's not very comfortable. I do tend to still carry it some, but it is strictly attire dependent; wearing the wrong clothes with that setup is miserable.

I also use a CYA Kydex holster with a .45acp Shield, a 5-7º cant, and quite comfortable. When carrying my Glock 43 it rests in a "Gearcraft" Kydex holster, also with a 5-7º "cant," and also comfortable. The CYA and Gearcraft holsters have adjustable "cants." I would NOT make the same mistake I did with the 9mm Shield and buy a Kydex holster that does not have an adjustable "cant."

One more thing, and this will raise the eyebrows of a multitude of dissenters, but unless you are one of those, and it seems there are many, who recoil in horror at the thought of "pocket carry," don't dismiss that option out of hand. This is another one that is clearly attire dependent because loose clothing is a must for it to be practical, but I find it to be the most comfortable of all options. My Ruger LC9s frequently finds its home in a Desantis nylon holster, all in my right front pocket. A Desantis pocket holster can be had for less that 20 bucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cant adjustment can help. I regularly run a pocket holster, when wearing the proper outerwear. There are also many day packs, briefcases, etc., that have onboard gun storage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts