New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In South New Berlin right now...
It just got real! Helicopters flying over, my building is in lock down and going to tactical mode!

NY-Alert:

Headline: Residents in the area of South New Berlin Increased Police Presence looking for 4 subjects Activation Time: 08/13/14 5:28 PM
Expiration Time: 08/13/14 8:34 PM
Issued By: Chenango Co. Emergency Management Office
Affected Jurisdictions: Chenango County: New Berlin (town)
Description: Due to law enforcement activity related to an attempted burglary all residents are asked to lock their doors and remain inside. Report any suspicious activity to 911, patrol looking for 2 black males and 2 females.

Instructions: Residents in the area are requested to report any sighting of the individuals to Chenango County Sheriffs Office at 607-334-2000 or 911 if needed

·
Registered
383 Posts
They have been looking for over three hours! If it gets dark before they find them I may not sleep tonight! This is about 12 miles up the valley from me but who knows how far they could travel. State police just flew over heading to the Sidney airport probably to fuel up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYS Police road block right in front of my house, so at least I know that is safe, but I don't want to leave my commercial building in South New Berlin until suspects are found. It may be a long evening...

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
NYS Police road block right in front of my house, so at least I know that is safe, but I don't want to leave my commercial building in South New Berlin until suspects are found. It may be a long evening...
Just keep your dog inside.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
CS-From link:
Headline:Residents in the area of South New Berlin Increased Police Presence looking for 4 subjects

Activation Time:08/13/14*5:28 PM

Expiration Time:08/13/14*8:34 PM

Issued By:Chenango Co. Emergency Management Office

Affected Jurisdictions:Chenango County: New Berlin (town)

Description:

Due to law enforcement activity related to an attempted burglary all residents are asked to lock their doors and remain inside. Report any suspicious activity to 911, patrol looking for 2 black males and 2 females.

Instructions:

*Residents in the area are requested to report any sighting of the individuals to Chenango County Sheriffs Office at 607-334-2000 or 911 if needed.

·
1,647 Posts
Sounds like a whole lotta overkill for an attempted burglary if you ask me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I know is that a "home invasion" just took place within close proximity to my home and business with 4 suspects still at large and presumed to be armed... my family's safety is not something I take lightly, so for now, I don't mind any "overkill".

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
lock and load!!!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I agree. I deal with incidents like this a few times a week and we don't even stop people from walking on the very sidewalk it happens on unless there's evidence we need to protect. I don't know where this "lockdown" idea comes form, but I don't like it at all unless there is a bomb or otherwise mass-death event imminent.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
All I know is that a "home invasion" just took place within close proximity to my home and business with 4 suspects still at large and presumed to be armed... my family's safety is not something I take lightly, so for now, I don't mind any "overkill".
I would get home, lock the doors and get the old dozen gauge ready. Over kill or not I still think the responsibility to protect my family is on me. When second count...

·
Registered
891 Posts
My wife was anti-gun until we heard a report of an armed robbery fugitive on our street. Then she was like "Should you move the guns closer to the bed?"

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
And you shouldn't take it lightly. Make sure that you have plenty of firearms cruiser ready and stay alert.

·
1,647 Posts
I would get home, lock the doors and get the old dozen gauge ready. Over kill or not I still think the responsibility to protect my family is on me. When second count...
don't get me wrong, i do not disagree with this philosophy :)

but this happens all the time with no signs of air support, road blocks, etc.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
New Ebola strain on the loose now called Ebola Zombie Strain...beware brother.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree. I deal with incidents like this a few times a week and we don't even stop people from walking on the very sidewalk it happens on unless there's evidence we need to protect. I don't know where this "lockdown" idea comes form, but I don't like it at all unless there is a bomb or otherwise mass-death event imminent.
I also agree. A similar lockdown happened in Lima a few weeks ago. In that case, it was locked down around midnight after a shooting suspect crashed in Lima and the chase went on foot. I got stuck in that mess on my way home and there was no searching of cars, the LEOs simply shut down all roads into the town and turned all approaching vehicles away. I can see shutting down a few square blocks for an attempted murder suspect, but closing down roads as far as a mile or so out of town is a bit of overkill.

Even after the Boston bombing, the suspect wasn't caught by police during the lockdown, he was caught by a homeowner seeing his boat cover amiss and calling it in. Police should let the citizens, who know their property and neighborhood the best, be the eyes and ears of law enforcement. Notify the homeowners and ask them to call in anything unusual.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If I lived in a town which faced one of these lockdowns I'd consider a lawsuit or at least address it at the next town meeting. If I worked for a department that did this I'd be very vocal in my distain for the practice.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Everybody with a firearm , lock down in your house and protect your family, everybody without a firearm ........Thanks for playing ,you've been great.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts