New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you know I have been looking for employment out of state.
Well currently I am in Alaska going through the state police tryouts

this morning I walked outside (downtown Anchorage) and heard full auto in the distance. It almost brought a tear to my eye

I had to do a bit of grocery shipping and got told Walmart would be my best bet (I hate Walmart) well the clientele up here are a lot nicer and upper class than what are seen in rochester. I walked into the sporting goods section and there were AR's, handguns and
Just about any caliber rifle you can think of.

I dont don't want to leave!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Alaska lots of wild space ! Enjoy yourself be safe go fishing shooting boating Hell do it all while you're there try going to
Wild West Alaska Gun Shop say hello to the fellas ! Love that show :seeya:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am still alive and well... according to the mental midgets out there I should be dead as I am in a state that has relaxed gun laws.

It is funny I spoke to a Sergeant with the Alaska State Troopers yesterday and he said "the reason they do not have gang bangers up here is because the gang bangers are too scared they will get shot by the old ladies they are trying to hold up."

I am still holding my own up here. Another applicant I met today is from the Buffalo area which I thought was cool, as it is not every day you travel 4200 miles looking for employment and run across someone else from you neck of the woods.
There were only 38 of us invited to try out, and 18 are from the lower 48.

Well I am off to get some shut eye. I hope everyone in NY is having a little fun and trying to unseat the Fuhrer

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well I am still alive and well... according to the mental midgets out there I should be dead as I am in a state that has relaxed gun laws.

It is funny I spoke to a Sergeant with the Alaska State Troopers yesterday and he said "the reason they do not have gang bangers up here is because the gang bangers are too scared they will get shot by the old ladies they are trying to hold up."

I am still holding my own up here. Another applicant I met today is from the Buffalo area which I thought was cool, as it is not every day you travel 4200 miles looking for employment and run across someone else from you neck of the woods.
There were only 38 of us invited to try out, and 18 are from the lower 48.

Well I am off to get some shut eye. I hope everyone in NY is having a little fun and trying to unseat the Fuhrer
Just curious, 'cuz i watch the show all the time, and i was wondering what the starting pay is up there? care to divulge?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Just curious, 'cuz i watch the show all the time, and i was wondering what the starting pay is up there? care to divulge?
As much as we bag on people on this site? Google is your best friend LOL.

Pay & Benefits

I don't even use NYF search. I go to google and put in what I'm looking for along with "nyfirearms"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warrendee through the academy I would be making $54,000. Once I have been placed in my first duty station there would be a cost of living increase

BrianS I have already recieved a conditional offer. To have already come this far is a really big deal as there were thousands of applicants. As long as everything goes ok I will be leaving NY in February.

Thank you everyone for the wishes of luck. I need it

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Good luck Andrew, we're all hoping you make the grade!

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I wouldnt mind living in alaska myself. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There's no residency requirement to enroll in alaska's SP academy? I've looked at different police forces throughout the north+southeast, and most require that you be a resident of that state for like a year or something.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I'm pretty amazed at the level of pay for Alaskan Troopers, local cops in Binghamton starting pay is at $70k, plus another $20k in benefits. Good luck celticsimm, living in Alaska would be a dream for most us, one of the few places left where people still "get" it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As a fellow Webster resident I wish you good luck, although I really wish people like you could find stable employment locally. But you have to do what is best for you.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Warrendee through the academy I would be making $54,000. Once I have been placed in my first duty station there would be a cost of living increase

BrianS I have already recieved a conditional offer. To have already come this far is a really big deal as there were thousands of applicants. As long as everything goes ok I will be leaving NY in February.

Thank you everyone for the wishes of luck. I need it

-Andrew
Hearty congratulations to you and wishing you all the best up there. Now, make sure to wear a red bandana on your sleeve so we'll recognise you on the show.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well all the testing is not complete... will be headed out of anchorage tomorrow night and touching down in NY wednesday afternoon.

I must say I will be sorry to leave Alaska but it will be good to be home.

I should hopefully hear in a week or two the outcome. I am not sure if any of you have taken a polygraph before but if you can avoid it! I am not sure how well I did on that portion everything else I have been told I passed. Another guy I met up here said he was told on the spot he failed thee test... so I am not sure if that means I passed or what.

well have a good one night NYF and hopefully when I get back I dont find out there have been more dumb laws added to the books.

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts