New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Lake city is good ammo. 62gr bullet so would be better in 1:7 or 1:8 barrel. You can buy 1000 rounds of Federal XM193, (55 gr.) in 20rd boxes from Palmento for $10 less. Have tried both and the XM193 seems to work the best in my 1:9 carbine. YMMV.

·
Registered
416 Posts
They also have the PMC bronze 55gr for $6.49/box of 20 or $324.50/1000. Federal XM193F slightly less than the LC you linked at $349.50/1000.

Ammo is in short supply these days. I'd stay patient and buy the quality 55gr brass ammo when you see it available. Online sources like PSA or AIM are going to be cheaper for you than buying retail locally.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
As far as bang for buck, I don't think you'll find anything better and more consistent than the XM193/M193 and XM855/M855 ammo. The 855 is 7gr heavier (55gr vs. 62gr.) and should be good with just about any AR barrel that you'll find on any off-the-shelf mil-spec AR. Same w/ the 193 though. Really, if you're just plinking around and what not, just save a few bucks and get the 193. Also, if you save your brass, you can sell it if you don't reload your own.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lake city is good ammo. 62gr bullet so would be better in 1:7 or 1:8 barrel. You can buy 1000 rounds of Federal XM193, (55 gr.) in 20rd boxes from Palmento for $10 less. Have tried both and the XM193 seems to work the best in my 1:9 carbine. YMMV.
I just seen that.I got a Spikes 1:7 twist,you think the xm193 would work better?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
That is good consistent ammo to practice and to keep around for defensive use. Do not need 1:7 or 1:8 barrels, it will stabilized just fine in a 1:9 twist and even slower if anyone has those.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is good consistent ammo to practice and to keep around for defensive use. Do not need 1:7 or 1:8 barrels, it will stabilized just fine in a 1:9 twist and even slower if anyone has those.
Thanks guys,looks like its the xm193.It should be faster than the 62 grain as well........

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
And doesn't have a penetrator

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The 193 will go through a car but left with very little bite to do something. The M885 will go through a car and have a greater chance to fvck up anyone on the other side seeking cover.
The one that excels at this is the M885A1 but we will not see them for a long while. In the mean time some of the OTM solids if you can get them or nosler / corbon TSX 62gr is the ticket. But again this is for defense. For punching paper the underpowered 55gr PMC bronze will do just fine and will save barrel and parts life.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 193 will go through a car but left with very little bite to do something. The M885 will go through a car and have a greater chance to fvck up anyone on the other side seeking cover.
The one that excels at this is the M885A1 but we will not see them for a long while. In the mean time some of the OTM solids if you can get them or nosler / corbon TSX 62gr is the ticket. But again this is for defense. For punching paper the underpowered 55gr PMC bronze will do just fine and will save barrel and parts life.
I just picked up a 338 Lapua that should get through,if they want to hide behind a car.I wish ammo for that was around $350 per 1000!!!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So you'd be carrying an AR and Lapua together then, or would be a case of 'time out, I gotta go get something different'?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I just picked up a 338 Lapua that should get through,if they want to hide behind a car.I wish ammo for that was around $350 per 1000!!!!!
.338LM ... No escape from that one!!!...LOL .. expensive to feed but amazing round.

I have to say though that caliber alone has little to do with hard cover penetration. Bullet design, sectional density and overall terminal performance for the desired application is key. The Swedish took elephants for decades with a 6.5x55 until a group of 'experts' came along and said it is illegal to use that caliber for large African game and w/o first looking at what the little 6.5mm round actually provides.

Anyway to stay on topic the M885 should provide a decent round for urban type of combat even if we never get to use them. The 193 will do ok with limitations in intermediate barrier. To have the edge in smashing through winshields, cars and other barriers in 5.56 the MK318 MOD0 (OTM) and simply a barnes 62gr TSX is all we need. If you have a twist of 1:8 min you can also use 70gr TSX that gives the edge at longer ranges.
75gr TAP is also good tactical one specially for longer range but not better penetration wise.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 308 and a 6.8 AR15 as well if the situation wanes,the 223 is basically to have cheap ammo...The Lapua's intention is/was deer hunting,not combat but ya never know!!!!! I can have a ar15 strapped over each shoulder and another strapped single point and carry the Lapua in hand,even a pistol if I had one,bring on the Apocalypse.....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The 855 is not allowed in most carbine classes if you plan to ever take one. Not a huge problem but it makes me stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Whoah there, do you have a 5.56mm chambered rifle or a .223Rem chambered rifle?

.223 in a 5.56mm chamber is fine, but 5.56mm in a .223 can be a very ugly thing.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The 855 is not allowed in most carbine classes if you plan to ever take one. Not a huge problem but it makes me stay away from it.
Makes sense, the 855 for stocking up the 183 and other regular FMJs for everything else.
Also any russian puffins with any steel in the core beware of it. should not be used in any close range specially with hard targets backing.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoah there, do you have a 5.56mm chambered rifle or a .223Rem chambered rifle?

.223 in a 5.56mm chamber is fine, but 5.56mm in a .223 can be a very ugly thing.
Its a 556,my mistake!!!!!Last year never even held or shot one,now own 3.....And i still want another 556,I know what the fever is....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Cool

I'd rather sound goofy or like a momma hen and ask as opposed to not saying anything only to find out later someone got to have shrapnel picked out of thier face and arm.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool

I'd rather sound goofy or like a momma hen and ask as opposed to not saying anything only to find out later someone got to have shrapnel picked out of thier face and arm.
Yep,cause i didnt know that until i researched it a while back either...Just cant wait till fishing season to get my mind off of hunting/guns and doomsday 2012!!!!A nice stringer full of walleye and fresh fish tacos might do that,then again maybe not....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts